Chief Lanier is unlawfully violating the 1st amendent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

northscan23

I am glad that the DC area media is stepping up to the plate to take on the police chief. Her statements clearly are in total disrespect to the 1st amendent/freedom of speech. I can understand the concern about the publice listening to the police chatter. But Chief. Lanier must respect the basic laws that our founding fathers created. The media should be allowed to listen to the radio traffic because it is the fastest way that the media can obtain vital information and be able to get their trucks out the the scene soo they can report accurately the facts about. By shutting out the media from what is happening, Lanier is trying to act like Washington DC is Iran or Libya. If she continues to do this, either the media should take her to court or call for her resignation and ask the city council to bring in a police chief that will repesct the constitiution.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Please post the section of the First Amendment that is being violated

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
northscan23,

While I applaud the media for fighting Chief Lanier's recent decision to encrypt all of their operations, this certainly isn't a first amendment issue, nor is it illegal.

RadioReference's position has always been that we respect any decision by law enforcement to encrypt communications that relate to tactical activities, narcotics, SWAT, and other highly sensitive communications. But to encrypt your routine dispatch communications, we feel, is not in the best interest of the community, the department, and the surrounding departments.

It is very disappointing that Chief Lanier made the decision she did to encrypt the department's routine dispatch operations, but the department is not under any law that says they cannot do so.

With that said, I'm closing this thread and directing anyone who feels they need to comment further to here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...ive-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Warm regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.