Chimney Mount Bracket for Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please recommend a good quality chimney mount bracket for an antenna? Radio Shack's mount has rather low reviews on their website and I can't seem to find anything that just jumps out at me. I'm not familiar with any of the other brands.

Thanks in advance for your help.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to post a follow up message regarding Ronard's chimney mounts. I received my mast and chimney mount today and I'll have to say, this is perfection. From the design to the material it is made of, it is 100% quality! If this one comes down, the chimney's coming with it! Furthermore, Mr. Ronard at Ronard Industries in Indiana is simply an incredible guy to deal with. He had the mast (painted on the inside for rust prevention) and chimney mount to me via UPS the next day (from IN to KY). Plus, the packing can't be beat (nicely wrapped, padded and brand new box). If you are in the market for a very "stout", quality chimney mount to get an antenna up outside, I would HIGHLY recommend this product. For $36.00 including mount and 5' mast, you can't go wrong (that price did not include shipping, which was around $9).

Paulsan

I agree with axledobe, the Ronard mount is outstanding. I got mine from www.solidsignal.com. I ordered it last Monday morning and had it on Wednedsday. I didn't even ask or pay for special shipping. Both Ronard and SolidSignal are top of the line.

k8tmk

I personally would not use a chimney mount for an antenna.

Most satellite dish companies recommend against it also due to the contaminants included in smoke from furnaces, fireplaces, etc. It is very hard on antennas.

Randy

hoser147

I know my chimney doesnt get used for nothing but to hold my antenna's in the air, newer furnaces use PVC out the side of the house, be alot of hassle to take it down just to gain a small space in the house..............Hoser

Paulsan

Mine is the same hoser. The only thing that vents out the furnace chimney now is the gas hot water heater. The fireplace chimney only has a gas log (which never gets used), but my antenna isn't mounted on that chimney anyhow.

n8emr

axledobe said:
Can someone please recommend a good quality chimney mount bracket for an antenna? Radio Shack's mount has rather low reviews on their website and I can't seem to find anything that just jumps out at me. I'm not familiar with any of the other brands.

Thanks in advance for your help.
First question is what kind of chimney, If the house is over 40 or so years old most likely its a brick chimney and you really need to take a look at the chimney for strength. Antenna, even a scanner antenna will jiggle and wiggle around and skae the bricks loose. I wouldnt want to go very high above the chimney 5ft or so would be the most without extra guys. If your home is new and your chimney is just a 2x frame around a metal pipe then you should have an issue. I would still not want to put a tall antenna above the chimney but 10ft should be enough.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
I have made my inspection very well. The house was built years ago but I have filled in any deteriorating mortar (tuck pointing) with mortar and used, in very few places, the concrete repair caulk to seal it off. My mast is 5' long and the antenna weighs a little over 3 pounds (Diamond X-200A). Maybe I have a false sense of security and it will all fall on me, but for now, I feel pretty good about it. I have no more than 12 lbs (probably less) weighing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.