China Lake NAWC NAWS Comms Where Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seleong

Premium Subscriber
Curious where the previous conventional VHF China Lake NAWC / NAWS communications went. Used to listen to the activity on the base bu now not a peep. Did they go to a P25 trunking system possibly?

Thanks very much for any help!

Steve KC6IJM

judas12

Curious where the previous conventional VHF China Lake NAWC / NAWS communications went. Used to listen to the activity on the base bu now not a peep. Did they go to a P25 trunking system possibly?

Thanks very much for any help!

Steve KC6IJM

If u get the freqs, can u let me know? I go hunting out in Ridgcrest, Red Mountain, China Lake

Thanks

Eng74

No the Navy is too cheap to go to a digital trunked system out here. If you were out on a Friday ypu might have been out here on a flex Friday so the base is shut down on all of the ranges.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
No the Navy is too cheap to go to a digital trunked system out here. If you were out on a Friday ypu might have been out here on a flex Friday so the base is shut down on all of the ranges.

The "Navy" (if you mean the local base tenants) doesn't have a choice. All facilities are moving to a regional P25 network coordinated out of VA.

Eng74

The "Navy" (if you mean the local base tenants) doesn't have a choice. All facilities are moving to a regional P25 network coordinated out of VA.

I have lived there since July of 1980. Nothing ever gets to China Lake fast. They had to do an end around to get a Haz Mat unit out there because one base had two of them. Don't even ask how long the BRAC stuff is taking. The 50 jobs to leave were gone fast. The ones to come in still have not 10 years later.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I moved out of Ridgecrest barely two years ago and the VHF conventional system was still in use just not very busy. Ill try to dig up the list I made and post it here.

Token

China Lake has indeed gone to a digital trunked system, but not the standard that everyone else has gone to. I do not know if it is P25 or not(but I think it is not) but I know it is not in UHF. Rather it is VHF, near the old freqs in the 141 MHz area.

The reasoning for not going to UHF might be because of potential interference issues with some data links, but that is speculation.

T!
Mohave Desert, California, USA

Last edited:

Eng74

I know that China Lake Fire (141.9500) is not on digital and crash net/ground control (140.100) is also not digital. I turn on my Pro-2006 Monday and see if my range freqs are still good.

Token

I know that China Lake Fire (141.9500) is not on digital and crash net/ground control (140.100) is also not digital. I turn on my Pro-2006 Monday and see if my range freqs are still good.

Also the UHF and VHF Range aircraft freqs are still the same. However the range control freqs and CLPD freqs have gone digital.

T!
Mohave Desert, California, USA

seleong

Premium Subscriber
China Lake NAWC Ground Comms

Last time I visited the site, I brought my Pro-96 and scanned around the low portion of the VHF band. I did find some conventional analog traffic there, and also found some P25 comms there too. There were some P25 comms in the clear, and some that were encrypted. I did not get to physically see what radios folks were using though... Still researching...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.