• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chinese speaker mics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospect62

Seasons greetings Kenwood fans...

I just picked up a used TK290 for no apparent reason other than it was cheap. I was looking at grabbing a speaker mic for it but the standard genuine Kenwood KMC-25 mics are going for as much or more than the radio, charger, battery and antenna cost me. That's just silly.

I found some chinese knock-offs on eBay for less than $20. Aside from waiting 27 days for these to float across the pacific on a boat full of rice, diseases and weird bugs...does anyone see a drawback to using one of these? I've heard things ranging from "cheap crap sounds awful" to "works great, just like the real thing".

I was tempted awhile back to delve into cheap chinese radios and accessories but I held off. I mainly do GE stuff and I've had an HT1000 and I DO appreciate genuine commercial quality (this is my first Kenwood but I've used them at work). I don't want Baofeng toy components, but I also don't want to spend $50 on a speaker mic that I don't need for a portable radio that I really don't need either.

Anyway, commentary is invited. Discuss.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Seasons greetings Kenwood fans...

I just picked up a used TK290 for no apparent reason other than it was cheap. I was looking at grabbing a speaker mic for it but the standard genuine Kenwood KMC-25 mics are going for as much or more than the radio, charger, battery and antenna cost me. That's just silly.

I found some chinese knock-offs on eBay for less than $20. Aside from waiting 27 days for these to float across the pacific on a boat full of rice, diseases and weird bugs...does anyone see a drawback to using one of these? I've heard things ranging from "cheap crap sounds awful" to "works great, just like the real thing".

I was tempted awhile back to delve into cheap chinese radios and accessories but I held off. I mainly do GE stuff and I've had an HT1000 and I DO appreciate genuine commercial quality (this is my first Kenwood but I've used them at work). I don't want Baofeng toy components, but I also don't want to spend $50 on a speaker mic that I don't need for a portable radio that I really don't need either.

Anyway, commentary is invited. Discuss.
I have a junk drawer that has at least 5 different cheapie speaker mics sitting in it. They're all partially non functional, and none of them were abused. They all just stopped working, mostly loss of transmit audio. Even a KawaMall one died after less than a year.

I'm mostly a Motorola person up to now, and the Motorola brand name accessories that I have work fine. Even their lower tier Mag One speaker mics have held up very well. I suspect you'll have the same results with your Kenwood.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have a junk drawer that has at least 5 different cheapie speaker mics sitting in it. They're all partially non functional, and none of them were abused. They all just stopped working, mostly loss of transmit audio. Even a KawaMall one died after less than a year.

I'm mostly a Motorola person up to now, and the Motorola brand name accessories that I have work fine. Even their lower tier Mag One speaker mics have held up very well. I suspect you'll have the same results with your Kenwood.
I quit wasting my money on non-oem. I will gladly spend double or triple to buy oem audio accessories. Seen and experienced too much chinese cheap junk.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I refuse to give those lousy Chinese thieves a penny of my money that I don't have to.

China respects nothing but your money. No respect for international copyright laws or trademarks or even human rights.

They're only in it for the money to build their military strength up.

There are lots of people in the world that would be better supported by your money.

DON'T BUY CHINESE GARBAGE.

bharvey2

Don't have a whole lot of experience with the CC mics. I have used Pryme mics though and those seem to hold up well and sound nice. Maybe that would be a happy medium.

PACNWDude

+1 on OEM Kenwood mic. My OEM speakers and mics have all continued to work over the years. Kenwood, Icom, Motorola and others. For older Kenwood commercial radios, go OEM. For their amateur radios, Otto and the Chinese versions may be alright.

Used to work for a Kenwood affiliate, and always had trouble with non OEM mics. Have piles of damaged TK-941's where the cheap mic made the radio fail prematurely, but after the warranty was over.

wrightracing

I have bought a few China Microphones and the sound quality of the microphone element is noticeably poorer right out of the box. You are better off with a used OEM microphone. In the case of a mobile radio, not a handheld like yours, I have used an Astatic Microphone that I changed the mic jack for a TK730H and it has great quality sound of an oem, but only $30 on ebay new + 20 cent RJ12 jack. That might be an option if they have a speaker microphone for a handheld in the correct ohms range for your radio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.