CHiP skip in Ontario

mciupa

For the benefit of those who are unaware in Ontario.

As discussed in the Skip/Tropo forum, there is activity on the California Highway Patrol frequencies lately. Once the sun rises in California, the signals start coming in. As of now, the 39 MHz band is hot.

If you are inclined to listen and download the agency, the database entry is here: California Highway Patrol (CHP) (California) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
You can also easily upload it to a Favorite List from Sentinel if you have a HomePatrol style scanner.

Listening to South Los Angeles as I type.

EDIT 1: 42 MHz now coming in @11:50 EST better than the 39 MHz band.
EDIT 2: Bay Area of Cali coming in as of 12:35 EST

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Just tried listening in and I have found several frequencies that are coming in that I can pick up in Fort Erie Ontario.
I just put in California Police until I have a chance to put in the right description in the screenshot. As I listen I am picking up more frequencies
Steve

Attachments

• california.jpg
    california.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 36

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet. Download all of CHP (Lowband Frequencies) in the link above. Then you have the best shot of hearing CHP from North to South. At first I had about 30 confirmed hits on these. Since then I put them all in and I'm getting confirmed hits on more. So again, put all the lowband channels in for CHP and you'll have some interesting listening throughout most part of the day as long as conditions stick around.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet. Download all of CHP (Lowband Frequencies) in the link above. Then you have the best shot of hearing CHP from North to South. At first I had about 30 confirmed hits on these. Since then I put them all in and I'm getting confirmed hits on more. So again, put all the lowband channels in for CHP and you'll have some interesting listening throughout most part of the day as long as conditions stick around.
Thanks for the information I will make a memory file for SDRuno of all the frequencies and then start scanning, it will be very interesting.
Steve

6079smithw

Just talked to my brother in CT. he tells me Truckee 42.88 and Sacramento 42.28
have been shakin' the walls at his place near Hartford for about a week now. I
recall CT State Police doing the same thing here in Reno back in the 70s when
they were still on low band...

mciupa

The 39's started coming in around from SoCal at 11am this morning and after Noon the 42's from inland and northern regions.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I must say, since programming these channels in it has certainly livened up the radio quite a bit. Even if only for a few hours a day. Even better that they're already ID'd. To add about 100 channels and have 30+ confirmed active and busy certainly adds alot more to my listening now. I like the fact that in one moment I can listen in on San Francisco booming in then it starts scanning again and San Diego is booming in.

Like I said. I really have forgotten about this part of the band. I've only been paying attention to 10/11m and that was it. Haven't looked at this in almost 20 years I think.

I remember way back when having a 200 channel conventional base back in my late teens/early 20's. I'm 45 now and programming all these low band channels from the US when conditions would allow. A lot has changed and I've learned a lot since then.