Chippewa Valley Correctional Treatment Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
chippewa county treatment ficility

Hey there. I`m able to hear the system quite well when i`m in that area (i travel theough that county on my way up north), anyway, have a look at the RR database for Chippewa County, suggestion, if your scanner can do C-channel only, don`t use it (i couldn`t get it to lock in C-channel only mode), program all the system freqs (voice and control channels), that`s what i did, and it works just peach. Also, a good gain antenna on your unit will help a bit too, terrain does play a hand with that one. Good luck. N9NRA

nebadnez

Thanks N9NRA... I think I was just being impatient and annoyed because there was nothing exciting going on, but I'm quite certain that I have it programmed correctly.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks N9NRA... I think I was just being impatient and annoyed because there was nothing exciting going on, but I'm quite certain that I have it programmed correctly.

You`re very welcome, personally i just have that one in my scanner so i can play around with the trunking features of my unit, but there`s not that much exciting on there anyway, i`ve scanned it when i run north, and i`ve never heard much that`s even worthy of a "mention", in fact i`ve listened to it when i`m having lunch with my folks on the way up to their place, and not heard a thing for over an hour. So much for prisons being exciting to monitor :). N9NRA

nebadnez

No kidding! That ONE converstation I have ever picked up of CVCTF was security going out to see what someone was doing standing around in the parking lot.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
No kidding! That ONE converstation I have ever picked up of CVCTF was security going out to see what someone was doing standing around in the parking lot.

Yeah, isn`t that intresting? One would think there`d be lots of activity on a DOC TRS, but in this case there`s not. The only thing i`ve heard on there is when they call for "counts" every hour or so, and that seems to be all ya hear on there (those calls go out on the "control ops" TG, the other ones are pretty much dead as far as activity goes). i`m slways wondering what it would sound like if one of the innmates were to escape...now THAT would be worth listening to :D! N9NRA

rvictor

Correctional facilities tend to use their radios to coordinate prisoner movement to and from such things as meals, visits, health care, recreation, library, etc. In Wisconsin, serious disruptions are pretty uncommon and communication in the case of a disruption may be more likely over the PA than by radio as inmates are ordered to their cells and staff advised of the location at which assistance is needed.

I've had occasion to view a few of the video cam recordings of disturbances and what has always amazed me is how quickly they start and how quickly they are over.

BTW, the "count" is required by administrative rule to be made at least 4 times each day. It is a serious consideration in terms of when things are scheduled within the institutions.

Dick

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Correctional facilities tend to use their radios to coordinate prisoner movement to and from such things as meals, visits, health care, recreation, library, etc. In Wisconsin, serious disruptions are pretty uncommon and communication in the case of a disruption may be more likely over the PA than by radio as inmates are ordered to their cells and staff advised of the location at which assistance is needed.

I've had occasion to view a few of the video cam recordings of disturbances and what has always amazed me is how quickly they start and how quickly they are over.

BTW, the "count" is required by administrative rule to be made at least 4 times each day. It is a serious consideration in terms of when things are scheduled within the institutions.

Dick

Okay, i get that, i can see why they would use the PA for that, still, if i`m correct the PA is simillar to the one we had at the warehouse i worked at here a ways back, the spervisors could access it via their radios, and if they needed to page someone on the PA they just changed a setting of some kind and sent their page, and ya heard it on the speakers in the building. Really inovative i thought. Now it would be kinda neat to hear those transmissions to, just to hear what one could hear, but i bet those are encrypited right? Thanx! 73 de N9NRA P.S. nvictor, i`ll be sending ya a pm in a short...ham related :).

rvictor

Okay, i get that, i can see why they would use the PA for that, still, if i`m correct the PA is simillar to the one we had at the warehouse i worked at here a ways back, the spervisors could access it via their radios, and if they needed to page someone on the PA they just changed a setting of some kind and sent their page, and ya heard it on the speakers in the building. Really inovative i thought. Now it would be kinda neat to hear those transmissions to, just to hear what one could hear, but i bet those are encrypited right? Thanx! 73 de N9NRA P.S. nvictor, i`ll be sending ya a pm in a short...ham related :).

Don't really know how they access the PA. You could be right that they can do it by radio. Perhaps radio, phone and a push to talk mic for maximum ability to get the word out when necessary.

Can't speak for all the institutions, but the DOC facility in downtown Milwaukee has at least some of their comms in the clear. I've never heard any encryption on that system, but then I haven't listened for very long since it gets pretty boring sitting in your car nearby and it's too weak to copy from home.

You're certainly correct that it would be interesting if you happened to be listening at the right time. Fortunately, for the operation of the institutions, it doesn't happen very often that a major problem occurs and it's usually over very quickly. So from a scanning point of view, you'd have to get lucky to hear much that would be very interesting.

Dick

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Don't really know how they access the PA. You could be right that they can do it by radio. Perhaps radio, phone and a push to talk mic for maximum ability to get the word out when necessary.

Can't speak for all the institutions, but the DOC facility in downtown Milwaukee has at least some of their comms in the clear. I've never heard any encryption on that system, but then I haven't listened for very long since it gets pretty boring sitting in your car nearby and it's too weak to copy from home.

You're certainly correct that it would be interesting if you happened to be listening at the right time. Fortunately, for the operation of the institutions, it doesn't happen very often that a major problem occurs and it's usually over very quickly. So from a scanning point of view, you'd have to get lucky to hear much that would be very interesting.

Dick

Yeah, isn`t that true. At least when i`ve scanned the Chippewa system it`s pretty dead (same for the one at DOC Stanley, what we call the "Stanley big house" :)), and mabey that`s a good thing, the gaurds are keeping the innmates in line, and the innmates are behaving too. 73 for now. N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.