"Chirp" needs to be more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

How can I instruct chirp of what I specifically want to download from the database to program the repeater list? I don't want or need vice, narc, or HPD dispatch simulcast. But it downloaded it also. All the prompt I found asked was name, password, and zip code. Over 1,300 results came back. There has to be an easier way.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This might be a good question to ask the Chirp developers.

Cruiseomatic

True but that is highly un likely to get a resolution since this is how the code was written and GUI designed. Is it possible to download the list as a CRV file? Would hate to think I just spent $15 for nothing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't see if you are a premium subscriber or not, but it's cheap - and one of the perks is that you can download a CSV file from the database for what you want.

Unfortunately CHIRP has its own requirements for importing from a CSV file. See their wiki for the explanation...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I asked many moons ago whether the developers could make their import from RR work a little more like the scanner's conventional import, and I got an answer of a flat NO. A shame, really, but they don't want to do it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Chirp covers more radios than most would be willing to buy CPS for. On many of the CCC radios, it is better than the factory offering. If you need more features, go to RT Systems.

k6cpo

Chirp covers more radios than most would be willing to buy CPS for. On many of the CCC radios, it is better than the factory offering. If you need more features, go to RT Systems.

I started out with RT Systems and should have learned my lesson. When I bought my FT1DR, I tried the Yaesu ADMS software and was able to program exactly one repeater into the radio. It wouldn't take any more than that. I then purchased an inexpensive software from ham in the UK and it didn't work at all. Kiss off that $15. I went back and bought the RT Systems software for it and haven't looked back. I use CHIRP for one radio and one alone: The UV5R I won as a raffle prize at a club meeting. I don't care about that radio and if it quit, I'd throw it in the trash without even a whimper.

You get an idea about CHIRP and Baofengs just by reading forums. I NEVER see posts about people having problems with RT Systems software, but lots about CHIRP and lots of posts about programming difficulties with Baofengs. The only posts I see about people having problems programming their Yaesu radios is if they're using CHIRP or the ADMS software. The other manufacturers are better with their software (if it's even available.)

Last edited:

Cruiseomatic

Finally got it somewhat programmed. Had to sort through the 1300 frequencies chirp pulled from the database then manually run through the ones I needed to replace the names with more practical ones. This is the second time I've tried using RR for "easier" programming but I end up doing it manually and besides downloading through software and getting peoples address from their call signs, neither of which have proved to be beneficial at all, what are the benefits of being a supporter? Some can just spend money and get nothing out of it while some of us can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.