Chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ermin

Hello All. Have been using Chirp for about three years. With Windows 10 since it (Windows 10) came out with no problem. Just tried to update Chirp with the latest version and for the first time Windows 10 will not let me do the update. Got it from Danplanet as usual. I get he following error message. Windows protected your PC
Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
More info
Don’t run

I cannot get the update to run. Any ideas?

Thank you

Ermin

KD8DVR

Hello All. Have been using Chirp for about three years. With Windows 10 since it (Windows 10) came out with no problem. Just tried to update Chirp with the latest version and for the first time Windows 10 will not let me do the update. Got it from Danplanet as usual. I get he following error message. Windows protected your PC
Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
More info
Don’t run

I cannot get the update to run. Any ideas?

Thank you

Ermin
Just tell smartscreen to run it anyway. Tho option is there if you click on the fine print.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

ermin

Just tell smartscreen to run it anyway. Tho option is there if you click on the fine print.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

OK

Yes. running as admin. There was no place to chose except "Don't Run" BUT! it works now............
Stupid computers.....................

Thanks Guys

Ermin

KD8DVR

OK

Yes. running as admin. There was no place to chose except "Don't Run" BUT! it works now............
Stupid computers.....................

Thanks Guys

Ermin
There is. You need to look.for it. There is a "More info" line or something in small print, that you need to click on, to bring up the. "Run anyway" option. Anyway....glad to see you got it going.

cmdrwill

CHIRP on my XP Pro comes up with ERROR 5 can not open port when trying to read a radio with a USB cable. And the driver for the USB Driver from the CHIRP site will not work, something Microsoft blocking driver installation.

k6cpo

Another case of "you get what you pay for." I read these recurring posts and threads about issues with free software and inexpensive (cheap) cables on many different forums.

I am an avid user of programming software and cables from RT Systems. The big difference between RT's products and what can be found for free on the web is that RT's stuff WORKS! I have never had any issues with the six different RT products I use. Sure, RT Systems products are a tad pricey, but it's worth it to not have to deal with the frustration and aggravation. "You get what you pay for..."

KD8DVR

CHIRP on my XP Pro comes up with ERROR 5 can not open port when trying to read a radio with a USB cable. And the driver for the USB Driver from the CHIRP site will not work, something Microsoft blocking driver installation.
Well...also, winxp is a "dead" operating system, with no more support. No updates that make it conform to current standards.

KD8DVR

Another case of "you get what you pay for." I read these recurring posts and threads about issues with free software and inexpensive (cheap) cables on many different forums.

I am an avid user of programming software and cables from RT Systems. The big difference between RT's products and what can be found for free on the web is that RT's stuff WORKS! I have never had any issues with the six different RT products I use. Sure, RT Systems products are a tad pricey, but it's worth it to not have to deal with the frustration and aggravation. "You get what you pay for..."
Its all in the cable, not the software. I replaced my fake prolific chips on my cables with a $3 chip as described on the Miklor site,and bingo.....I've been able to program any chirp-capable radio with no effort.

The Chirp devs. have got real good with this.

k6cpo

The only time I have ever used Chirp is to program my Baofeng UV-5RE and I did it only because I had a good Wouxun cable that worked on the Baofeng. The Baofeng was a raffle prize and I didn't want to put any money into it, either. As it turns out, it got used maybe twice and now sits collecting dust on my desk, especially in light of the HT testing done by the ARRL Lab.

http://wp.ni4ce.org/wp-content/uploads/qst.pdf

D

DaveNF2G

There is a growing number of programs that will not update under Windows XP.

WPXS472

I don't really want to fan the flames regarding XP vs WIn10 etc., But, I still use XP mostly. Because I have had, and still have numerous problems getting the newer versions to work. I won't go into details here. It would take a book to detail all the agony they have caused me. Regarding USB to serial cables that won't work. A lot of them use fake Prolific chips. If you install the latest Prolific driver, your operating system won't let it work. You have to install an older version of the Prolific driver and, on XP, everything is fine. I have done this a couple of times. If you are stuck using Windows 7 or later, just bite the bullet and buy a cable that uses the FTDI chip. One thing I did find, regarding Chirp and the Baofeng software is that you have to make the com port Com 1. I won't say that is the only thing that will work, but it did for me. If you are using anything later than XP, just buy the FTDI cable and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.