CHO / Albemarle and STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

prthorsenjr

Quick question: Which of the STARS sites (Control channels, etc) do I need to program into my GRE PSR-500 for the Charlottesville/ Albemarle/ Fluvanna areas?

I figure with the snow coming down today it would be a blast listening to everything.

Thanks,

Pete

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Quick question: Which of the STARS sites (Control channels, etc) do I need to program into my GRE PSR-500 for the Charlottesville/ Albemarle/ Fluvanna areas?

There are no towers in either of those counties listed in the DB Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

I would try Bear Den, Hightop, Fork Mountains for three near you, maybe Mineral too.

I am surprised there isnt a site on Carters Mt.

prthorsenjr

Thanks!

c5corvette,

Thanks for those STARS sites. It seems that they'll do most of what I want to do.

Do I have to setup a seperate tsys for each one? Or can I just have one tsys with all
of these control and alternate channels listed?

Pete

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I can't really answer radio specific programming for your radio. I am sure others on here can help if you tell them what kind of radio (and software) you have.

mikev

As far as programming... there are two ways that seem to be popular.

If you're going to be largely stationary, or if you want to monitor one site specifically more than the rest, then you may want to program each site as its own TSYS. This requires a little bit of effort when it comes to TGRPs, as you'll need to program them for each TSYS.

A more mobile-friendly setup would be to program the control channels for all of the sites you want to monitor into one TSYS. You'll then be able to use the multi-site features to determine when the scanner should give up on one control channel and search for a better one. You'll need to experiment with those settings... you'll want to use the "Analyze" feature to see how well the scanner is able to decode the control channel(s) so you can set the Roam thresholds accordingly to make sure that the scanner isn't constantly searching for a control channel.

Last edited:

gcgrotz

Hey Peter: I have a group with only Bearden since that was the primary site for here in the analog days. I have another group with Bearden, Fork Mtn and Louisa. The latter 2 have a lot of Div 1 traffic that I usually don't care for but have it available for my travels. I understand there is a site in Nelson County but I haven't looked into it. If you live or travel north toward Greene, you may also have Culpeper in there available.

I'm running Uniden here so I can't help much with the GRE specific programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.