n211cr

I am deciding between a

Diamond NR770HNMO
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/nr770hnmo.html

Diamond SG7500NMO
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/sg7500nmo.html

Comet SBB5NMO
http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=4&childID=4

I have read the reviews on eham, and there are quite a few negative comments about the NR770.
Does anyone own any of these models?
Is there much difference from the Diamond and Comet models?
Is one company known to be greater in one area or another?
And is it worth the extra 20 - 30 to go into the Diamond Super Gainer series?

It will be used for scanning 90% of the time in the 150 and 460 ranges. Also can anyone recommend a good quality but lower cost NMO lip mount? Spending 60 dollars on a Comet or Diamond seems unneccessary. Thanks.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
I have the Comet SBB5 on a mag mount, and can hit our local repeater on low power, 5 watts, with my Icom 208h, full quieting. The repeater is about 20-25 or so miles away from me. I can also hit a 440 repeater that is about the same distance away, with slight, slight, "white noise".

The antenna is awesome IMO, and it folds over, for garage/parking type situations.

EDIT: The Diamond and Comet are identical, the diamond is chrome, although you can get it in black, or could at one point.
For scanning, this antenna should do perfect in those bands for you, it has great gain also.

You can always go for a magnet mount, I'm using this one here....http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/3092.html it's really strong and has stood up to 80 mph on the interstate.

Last edited:

n211cr

Yeah I had figured both models were pretty much identical. Thanks for your input. I have a magnet mount now but I would like to go with a lip mount. I think I will most likely be going with the comet.

Has anyone used any of the MFJ lip mounts?

n211cr

I picked up the Comet SBB5NMO along with the NMO lip mount from Comet through Universal-radio. I was very pleased with them, probably the cheapest price I found on the antenna along with quick shipping. I received it the very next day. Columbus OH to Mid Michigan, not too bad. I believe in the main wideband uses it seems the reception is just a hair lower than my Radio Shack scanning antenna but given its uses I am more than happy with it and Universal-Radio.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Has anyone ever used the Diamond NR72BNMO? Description says it's is a 2 meter and 440 MHz (70 cm) mobile antenna. It is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters providing 2.15 dBi gain and a 1/2 wave on 440 providing 2.15 dB gain. This antenna can handle up to 100 watts. VSWR is less than 1.5:1. A hexagonal (Allen) wrench is included for adjustment.

This antenna is approximately 13.8 inches (.38 m) high. The antenna is black, very well built and looks a bit like a cellular antenna. The connector type is NMO.

I'd be using it mostly for scanning in the 150 and 450-512 range on a trunk lip mount. Any comments ?

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Chad

Have you ever looked at the Comet CA-2x4SR antenna? This is a good antenna that is produced to be wide at both bands. Some dual-band high-gain antennas are way too narrow even for receiving. I have been using this antenna for a year now after using the standard Larsen, SG7500 and the SG7900 and it seems to have excellent all around performance. I have recommended this antenna to several people, two who are on the fire department with me and they agree this antenna works great at 150 and 460. By the way, it is the only antenna that is advertised with the wide bandwidths.

As far as mounts go, have you looked at JetStream products that are sold by R&L? After purchasing a mount in excess of $70 I realized that JetStream made mobile mounts. For $25 you can get exactly what you would pay Diamond and Comet twice the amount. I purchased a JetStream antenna last year at Dayton and bought a second one this year at Dayton only because the original would not fit in my attic. The performance of both antennas would rival the high dollar competitors. If the mounts hold up like their antennas, it should be great, at half the price.

Good luck looking for an antenna and mount.

Darrin
KB8ECF

torrespi

Premium Subscriber
I have a Austin 500C Antenna Austin Antenna soft tip ...it is a dual band and is simliar to the the "Specta " a scanner antenna and dual Band ! In tests it out does the Diamond NR770HNMO and other antennas..they make these for the CIA,FBI,NSA, Law enfrocement....

Goole the unternet to find out for yourself !

Sal

lmrtek

Forget the imports.
They are over priced and built cheap.

Buy a Larsen NMO 2/70

It will outperform and outlast any diamond comet maldol tram etc etc etc

I've owned the best diamonds and comets and they were junk in comparison

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Motex, I have owned Diamond, Comet, Larsen, Maxrad, Comtelco, and Antenex mobile antennas. I was always satisfied with the performance and reliability of the Diamonds. They were most certainly not junk. However, one problem with the Diamonds is the fold over joint. You have to keep it clean and lubricated to maintain good electrical contact. The one Comet I owned broke off at the base. I wouldn't call it junk, but it wasn't very strong at a point where strength was needed. The Maxrad, Comtelco, and Antenex antennas were nothing special in terms of performance or build quality.

On the other hand, my Larsens have always been good all-around antennas. Realistic performance, great quality, and long-term reliability. For a 2m/440MHz amateur radio mobile antenna, I don't think you can beat the Larsen NMO 2/70.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever used the Diamond NR72BNMO? Description says it's is a 2 meter and 440 MHz (70 cm) mobile antenna. It is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters providing 2.15 dBi gain and a 1/2 wave on 440 providing 2.15 dB gain. This antenna can handle up to 100 watts. VSWR is less than 1.5:1. A hexagonal (Allen) wrench is included for adjustment.

This antenna is approximately 13.8 inches (.38 m) high. The antenna is black, very well built and looks a bit like a cellular antenna. The connector type is NMO.

I'd be using it mostly for scanning in the 150 and 450-512 range on a trunk lip mount. Any comments ?

Heck yes.

If you need a low-profile I would highly recommend it. It's not bad, but don't expect anything SPECTACULAR from it. I can receive on 144 about 45 miles out and the same distance on 440. I can transmit and hit repeaters about 35 miles away on 144 with relatively flat terrain. This is on a permanently installed NMO mount on the trunk lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.