Choosing a new scanner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I am in the market looking for a new scanner and I have my choices narrowed down to the Uniden BCT15X or the GRE PSR 410. I live in central PA and I mostly listen to conventional systems with 1 or 2 LTR systems as well. I would like to hear a few opinions on these scanners as well as which one is easier to program?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't have the GRE PSR-410,but I do have the BCT15 and it is quite the scanner,lots of nice options and freq range.You could also program the BCT15 by computer using FreeScan which will make it easier then programming it by hand.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before anyone can give you sound advice, we need to know where you are (county/state is fine) and what you are trying to hear. Both of those scanners are good choices, but they only do analog trunking - more and more areas are going digital, which neither of those scanners will handle

Mike

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I live in Union county, PA and I mostly monitor Public Safety channels, they are all analog and i also listen to a local hospital security that is an LTR system.

N8IAA

I live in Union county, PA and I mostly monitor Public Safety channels, they are all analog and i also listen to a local hospital security that is an LTR system.

Sold a RS Pro-163 to buy a PSR-410. Sold the 410 a bought another 163. If I had been able, would've gotten a 15X instead. Better memory control than the 410. Not as prone to VHF overload. Probably will buy a 15X soon.
HTH,
Larry

captclint

Mentor
What does anybody think about the Uniden 346xt?
I have one. Great scanner for what you want, and price is reasonable. Larry's comment about overload applies, and it is loaded with latest features. Esp like Do not disturb Close call. Also, there is free software(true for any DMA Uniden).

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
WVFC80:
Before you make any decision as to what radio you are going to get, you might want to see if you can find out what your local agencies are going to do between now and the end of they year. I ask this, because all of the licenses I see for VHF Hi/UHF use in the local area are not narrow band. Since such use has to be narrow band by the end of the year, lots of agencies are using that forced moved to adapt newer digital technology. Just saying, it would pay to check before you make a purchase.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Where would I have to look to find that kind of information?
As I don't live in Union Co. PA, I would have no idea. Most area news folks have done stories on the FCC mandate coming up Jan 1, 2013 because budgets had to be adjusted for radio replacement. County records/budgets, news, word of mouth are the only suggestions I can give you from 2500 miles away.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the help since im pretty new to RR. I think im going to buy the Uniden 346xt right now and mabie the BCT15X later on down the road for at home since I listen to my current scanner almost all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.