Choosing between Unidens

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I plan to spend part of my tax refund on another scanner. I have a Uniden HP-1E, which works very well and does the job that I used to need 2 scanners and a computer to accomplish. (I still need that much equipment for LTR-MultiNet and LTR-Passport.)

I have wanted a BCD-996XT since before the HP-1 came out. I have the 396XT and enjoy the features it has in excess of those possessed by my 396T. Whatever I buy will likely replace the old 396 (or maybe the even older BC-855 that I use for ACARS).

It's a tough decision. Major factors right now seem to be that the HP-1 will only become an HP-1E with an extra $100, regardless of purchase price, and I can program the 996XT with the exact same files I use for the 396XT. I'm leaning toward the 996XT at the moment.

Comments?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I plan to spend part of my tax refund on another scanner. I have a Uniden HP-1E, which works very well and does the job that I used to need 2 scanners and a computer to accomplish. (I still need that much equipment for LTR-MultiNet and LTR-Passport.)

I have wanted a BCD-996XT since before the HP-1 came out. I have the 396XT and enjoy the features it has in excess of those possessed by my 396T. Whatever I buy will likely replace the old 396 (or maybe the even older BC-855 that I use for ACARS).

It's a tough decision. Major factors right now seem to be that the HP-1 will only become an HP-1E with an extra $100, regardless of purchase price, and I can program the 996XT with the exact same files I use for the 396XT. I'm leaning toward the 996XT at the moment.

Comments?

Dave,
You will not regret the 996XT purchase.
You are 100% right in that the 396XT programming files will transfer over no problem.
Add in the fact that you can use the CC output with programs like Unitrunker, T88, Pro96Com and the like it makes it great to use.
The all black case also just looks radio sexy (NOT Hamsexy :D).
IMG_0026.JPG

Enjoy the new 996XT!
Marshall KE4ZNR

GTO_04

I vote for the 996XT. It has outstanding audio, great sensitivity, and very good digital decoding. It is by far the best base station I've owned, and I've had a lot of them.

GTO_04

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If I were to choose between the 996XT and 396XT, it would be the 996XT for the display, keypad layout, and RF noise retardant metal case. The audio is OK.

mciupa

Dave, with all that dynamic memory available and a lot of new multi-site trunk systems popping up your way in NYS I'd say that the BCD996XT is a perfect choice. :)

And Marshall, I see you favor the cyan backlight too on the 996XT. :D

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Dave,
You will not regret the 996XT purchase.
You are 100% right in that the 396XT programming files will transfer over no problem.
Add in the fact that you can use the CC output with programs like Unitrunker, T88, Pro96Com and the like it makes it great to use.
The all black case also just looks radio sexy (NOT Hamsexy :D).
IMG_0026.JPG

Enjoy the new 996XT!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Looks like you live in a Safehouse Marshall. Please tell me you have other antennas than what is pictured, especially the pull up on the 996XT. Looks HamSexy to me...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Dave, with all that dynamic memory available and a lot of new multi-site trunk systems popping up your way in NYS I'd say that the BCD996XT is a perfect choice. :)

And Marshall, I see you favor the cyan backlight too on the 996XT. :D

The cyan has always been my personal favorite. :cool:
Though I do use Red/FD and Green/EMS for Alerting me to activity on those
channels. :D

Still my most used feature more than any other is Number Tags.
I don't think I could do without Number Tags now that I have perfected my
memory structure.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Looks like you live in a Safehouse Marshall. Please tell me you have other antennas than what is pictured, especially the pull up on the 996XT. Looks HamSexy to me...

LOL Dave. I do have other antennas but living in a townhome has made me work
towards finding antennas that will fit the bill in limited spaces. :)
But I do have a few magmount antennas and a J-Pole that do a great
job when I am testing out radios. And I have access to a discone on a local
ham tower when I really want to see how a rig does. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

D

DaveNF2G

Got my 996XT...

..."and loving it."

(Maxwell Smart, Agent 86)

:D

mikemey

Premium Subscriber
I'd buy a 996xt in a minute if the price weren't so high. Yeah, you get what you pay for, but jeez.

Then again, I did pay $300+ for my 895xlt back in the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.