Choosing my first handheld radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

smklassen0977

Hi All! I'm currently studying for my Technician's license and I'm looking at getting my first handheld radio. I've sort of narrowed it down the the TYT DM-380. Knowing this is a DMR radio, does this model do traditional radio too? Also, if I get it before I pass my test can I use it to listen to either digital or analog transmissions?

LD723

Hi All! I'm currently studying for my Technician's license and I'm looking at getting my first handheld radio. I've sort of narrowed it down the the TYT DM-380. Knowing this is a DMR radio, does this model do traditional radio too? Also, if I get it before I pass my test can I use it to listen to either digital or analog transmissions?
The MD-380 does both analog (narrow and wide) and DMR digital. This radio has two variants that you can get which are either vhf (136-174MHz) or the uhf band (400-480MHz) so it is up to you to decide which to get

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I've sort of narrowed it down the the TYT DM-380
The model is MD-380. It's single band, UHF only. According to the specs, it will do both analog FM and DMR.
And, yes, you can listen to anything the radio will receive. You will only need a license to transmit.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a DMR radio as a first radio for a new ham (unless you have a specific reason). DMR is more complicated to program and you need to be within range of either a DMR enabled repeater or hot spot. Also, being a single band, and UHF at that, is rather limiting.

Consider the Yaesu FT-60R which is an analog (only) dual band with wide coverage receiver. This is a very good radio and should give you years of service. If your heart is set on DMR, give a look at the Anytone d878uv handheld. This is a dual band/dual mode radio.

bharvey2

TYT does have a dual band version of the MD380. It works on 2M and 70cm. both traditional analog and DMR. However, as ladn pointed out, it is far more complicated to program that is a traditional analog radio. If you don't mind jumping right in to the deep end of the pool, this may be a good radio to get, as is the Anytone D868 or 878UV radios. I have the single band version of the MD380 and the D868. I like both radios. Although I don't have one, the Yaesu FT60R (and the FT65R) is a highly regarded, dual band, analog only radio.

rapidcharger

I haven't used one of these personally but if I was in the market to buy to buy a ham radio with DMR, I'd try the Alinco DJ-MD5TG. there is a model without the GPS which is a little cheaper but otherwise the same. This radio has it all.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Consider the Yaesu FT-60R which is an analog (only) dual band with wide coverage receiver. This is a very good radio and should give you years of service.

Agreed, the FT-60R is a great choice for a ham radio beginner. Too many bells and whistles at first can be a tad bit overwhelming for some. The FT-60R is a good solid radio, built like a tank, easy to program, great audio and overall durability. You can't go wrong with that one for a first timer HT radio.

JD
kf4anc

smklassen0977

Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling the dmr radios might too much to chew in the beginning. I like to start simple so I’m leaning toward a simple baofeng uv-5r for starters.

KC5AKB

You might talk with some local clubs if you can find them and see what folks use the Dmr bunch will tell you go Dmr ,the D-star folks will say d-star and fusion c-4 will tell you it's the way to go .
So take your time . Shop and read
If there is a gathering go meet some folks and say hi .
If you would like you can email me.
I will be glad to give you my email.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Although the Baofeng radios are affordable, I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner. Their programming parameters are strange (different than most mainstream ham radios) and their quality level is spotty. The suggestions for the FT-60 are good ones. You can always move into digital once you learn about the available options and - most importantly - which format is in common use in your area.

Another point... Your post does not say where you are located, but if you are anywhere other than a metro area, you should check to be sure that you have real, on-air ham repeaters (not just listings) within range of a handheld radio. It would be frustrating to be able to hear the repeaters but not be able to reach them.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I was in the market to buy to buy a ham radio with DMR, I'd try the Alinco DJ-MD5TG
I have this as well as the Anytone 878. The Alinco is made for Alinco by Anytone and is very similar. HOWEVER, and this is a big H, Alinco has dropped the ball as far as support. There hasn't been a firmware or CPS update in months (still v 1.10) while the Anytone is at v1.13.

smklassen0977

Although the Baofeng radios are affordable, I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner. Their programming parameters are strange (different than most mainstream ham radios) and their quality level is spotty. The suggestions for the FT-60 are good ones. You can always move into digital once you learn about the available options and - most importantly - which format is in common use in your area.

Another point... Your post does not say where you are located, but if you are anywhere other than a metro area, you should check to be sure that you have real, on-air ham repeaters (not just listings) within range of a handheld radio. It would be frustrating to be able to hear the repeaters but not be able to reach them.

Hey Chief21.. I'm a computer programmer by trade, so I don't have much tech-fear, I'll give it a go - if it sucks I'll send it back. I've seen a lot of bipolar reviews for that particular make/model. I'd jump on the FT-60 but it's more than what I want to spend at the moment. I'm from the Cleveland area, North Ridgeville, OH to be more specific. There are about 11 repeaters in our zip code (44039). I think I'm good there.

smklassen0977

Don't do that.

Can you elaborate? Would love to hear the reasoning. All the reviews seem to either love it or hate it - hard to decide unless you have one in front of you. My decision was based on price and the accessories that came with it - programming cable and hand-held mic, among others. The majority of the "hate it's" were based on what seemed to be duds that got from the manufacture. I really wanted something to get myself started that was cheap in case I just don't like the hobby - although I'm one of those who's easily geeks-out on tech. Hopefully it's the right choice for me, it not, you all have some really good suggestions to consider.

smklassen0977

You might talk with some local clubs if you can find them and see what folks use the Dmr bunch will tell you go Dmr ,the D-star folks will say d-star and fusion c-4 will tell you it's the way to go .
So take your time . Shop and read
If there is a gathering go meet some folks and say hi .
If you would like you can email me.
I will be glad to give you my email.

Thanks for the offer.. I'll PM you. After the first few comments regarding DMR on this thread it confirmed my fear that I was getting too deep too fast by going DMR. I'll check out a meeting, seems to be a lot of interest in town.

bharvey2

Thanks for the offer.. I'll PM you. After the first few comments regarding DMR on this thread it confirmed my fear that I was getting too deep too fast by going DMR. I'll check out a meeting, seems to be a lot of interest in town.

Your profession may benefit you with regard to DMR programming. Think of the codeplug as a database with various tables with relationships to each other. Maybe seeing an operational codeplug will allow you to wrap your head around what's going on. That's how I did it. If your interested, PM me and I'll send you one for one of my radios. You'll need to download the CPS software but there's no charge for that.

smklassen0977

Your profession may benefit you with regard to DMR programming. Think of the codeplug as a database with various tables with relationships to each other. Maybe seeing an operational codeplug will allow you to wrap your head around what's going on. That's how I did it. If your interested, PM me and I'll send you one for one of my radios. You'll need to download the CPS software but there's no charge for that.
Awesome! Thanks in advance. The code plug makes sense - funny you put it to RDMS terms, I'm a database guy - good guess haha. For right now, I'm skipping the DMR radio. If I get the "bug" I'll probably buy one of those next.

bharvey2

Awesome! Thanks in advance. The code plug makes sense - funny you put it to RDMS terms, I'm a database guy - good guess haha. For right now, I'm skipping the DMR radio. If I get the "bug" I'll probably buy one of those next.

What luck, I took a guess that you might be a DB admin. Before you buy anything, see if you can get an idea of the repeaters in your area. If you have very few DMR repeaters or most seem to be DStar or System Fusion, going analog may make sense. If a lot of DMR repeaters exist, a DMR radio may be worth buying. I'm not against an analog only radio (I've got plenty) but you're likely to want to expand your horizons quickly. Although, if you're like any other ham, you'll have a huge collection of radios in short order!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If you have a receiver that can be tuned to the 443.4375 MHz frequency you should do so. Monitor it for a while to see if you hear any analog communication. Alternatively, if you hear something that sounds digital, that is probably DMR. Watch/listen to this Youtube video to get an idea of what it will sound like on an analog receiver.

If you do not hear anything the repeater may be offline, or unused. Of course, you could use your DMR radio with a hotspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.