Choosing my first handheld radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharvey2

haha very close.. Oracle PL/SQL Developer..

There's one DMR repeater about a mile from my house, according to RepeaterBook.com. Honestly I can't tell the difference between those that are digital or analog: 44039 - RepeaterBook

Are all that are under DGTL digital?

You're right it looks like one DMR repeater and the remainder are analog. Look a the "Tone" column if its XXX.X or DXX, or DXXX where X is a number, it's analog. If it says CC which stands for Color Code, it's DMR. Sometimes, DMR, DSTAR or System Fusion is in the description or in the Tone column. There are other digital modes but those three are the most common digital ham modes.

rapidcharger

I have this as well as the Anytone 878. The Alinco is made for Alinco by Anytone and is very similar. HOWEVER, and this is a big H, Alinco has dropped the ball as far as support. There hasn't been a firmware or CPS update in months (still v 1.10) while the Anytone is at v1.13.
See and I thought that was the main selling point. I guess the race to the bottom has taken its toll. Thanks for your input.

rapidcharger

Can you elaborate? Would love to hear the reasoning. All the reviews seem to either love it or hate it - hard to decide unless you have one in front of you. My decision was based on price and the accessories that came with it - programming cable and hand-held mic, among others. The majority of the "hate it's" were based on what seemed to be duds that got from the manufacture. I really wanted something to get myself started that was cheap in case I just don't like the hobby - although I'm one of those who's easily geeks-out on tech. Hopefully it's the right choice for me, it not, you all have some really good suggestions to consider.

Because you will sound like garbage and they are throwaway radios.
Theres no support, the replacement batteries are more then the radio, they aren't easy to program and they literally come wrapped in the same thing that candy does.
Use the money towards something better. You will be glad you did.

Ask someone to give you an A/B comparison of the audio.

smklassen0977

You're right it looks like one DMR repeater and the remainder are analog. Look a the "Tone" column if its XXX.X or DXX, or DXXX where X is a number, it's analog. If it says CC which stands for Color Code, it's DMR. Sometimes, DMR, DSTAR or System Fusion is in the description or in the Tone column. There are other digital modes but those three are the most common digital ham modes.

Thanks for the explanation, that helps.

w2xq

Mentor
Hi All! I'm currently studying for my Technician's license and I'm looking at getting my first handheld radio. I've sort of narrowed it down the the TYT DM-380. Knowing this is a DMR radio, does this model do traditional radio too? Also, if I get it before I pass my test can I use it to listen to either digital or analog transmissions?
TYT has a dual-band version of the single-band MD-380. The model is the MD-UV380. A number of USA vendors now offer the MD-UV380 handheld for ~$80, but I would recommend purchasing a second battery at the outset. The radio is bulletproof. I bought mine 14 months ago (then $140), and several friends also like them. They aren't as complicared as the expensive Anytone 868 and 878 radios to set up. For me, that is a good thing. The DMR audio is fine IMHO. Digital may sound a bit different than analog but it doesn't bother me. And yes, the radio also receives analog FM; in addition to 144 and 440, I have NWS stations, some marine and some emergency services frequencies in the radio. See the DMR links page on my website (w2xq.com) for notes and comments on the MD-UV380, including organizing a codeplug. HTH. Good luck.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The FT-60R is one of the best radios I have and still own. Not too difficult to program from the keypad, good free programming software, and durable. Some people complain about the battery capacity, but I use an AA cell battery case with either Nimh or Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

smklassen0977

TYT has a dual-band version of the single-band MD-380. The model is the MD-UV380. A number of USA vendors now offer the MD-UV380 handheld for ~$80, but I would recommend purchasing a second battery at the outset. The radio is bulletproof. I bought mine 14 months ago (then $140), and several friends also like them. They aren't as complicared as the expensive Anytone 868 and 878 radios to set up. For me, that is a good thing. The DMR audio is fine IMHO. Digital may sound a bit different than analog but it doesn't bother me. And yes, the radio also receives analog FM; in addition to 144 and 440, I have NWS stations, some marine and some emergency services frequencies in the radio. See the DMR links page on my website (w2xq.com) for notes and comments on the MD-UV380, including organizing a codeplug. HTH. Good luck.
Thanks W2XQ! I ended up buying the Baofeng UV-5R just so I could get my feet wet and it was cheap. Seems like that model is the common gateway drug to bigger rigs. The programming wasn't difficult at all. I used CHIRP to mass load a few frequencies around town. I've listened to a handful of entertaining conversations as well as the local police and weather. Still studying for my Technicians license so once I get my call sign I'll be joining right in. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.