choosing the right antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitlin4599

ok so i currently own an SDS100 and live in pima county tucson az how do i determine or figure out what would be the best antenna for my location the stock antenna isnt cutting it for me this will be an indoor antenna but will also be used when i travel i.e. if im out for a walk and i take the scanner with me. i live in an apartment with no balcony so an outside antenna isnt an option

below are links to my area to help ya out please educate me here as i wanna learn how to pick the best scanner like what to look for etc

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok so i currently own an SDS100 and live in pima county tucson az how do i determine or figure out what would be the best antenna for my location the stock antenna isnt cutting it for me this will be an indoor antenna but will also be used when i travel i.e. if im out for a walk and i take the scanner with me. i live in an apartment with no balcony so an outside antenna isnt an option

below are links to my area to help ya out please educate me here as i wanna learn how to pick the best scanner like what to look for etc

For systems using 700 & 800MHz frequencies, such as PCWIN, the Remtronix 820S is the best choice.
Normally, it delivers delivers decent reception on Uhf frequencies as well. However, if you nave a lot of Vhf-high channels among your systems of interest, the Diamond antenna would be a better choice. It has good reception on Vhf & Uhf, and in most cases, decent reception on the 700 & 800MHz frequencies used by many trunked systems. If you are within the coverage area of the system (sounds like you are), then that might not be a hinderance.
Any antenna is going to be a compromise. I use a REMTRONIX REM-820S or Diamond (Original) SRH77CA 144/440 MHz. Dual-Band High Gain Handheld Antenna depending on situation.
The SRH77CA has an SMA base, like the SDS100 scanner. However, the SMA connector on the scanner side is somewhat recessed due to the weatherproofing design, so that antenna would not mount correctly. You would be better advised to order the antenna version with the BNC connector, RH77CA, and use the adapter that came with the scanner.

I use this antenna, the Diamond RH789. It's a telescoping antenna, with markings on the antenna to show how many sections should be extended for a specific frequency range. I get good results withit in my metro area, which has a mix of Vhf-high & Uhf frequencies, as well as a number of trunked systems using 700 or 800MHz frequencies. Collapsed fully, it still does well on both the trunked systems as well as the Vhf & Uhf frequencies used by Dallas County & the City of Dallas. When I make a fairly regular regional trip, about 100 miles west to visit friends, I can extend the antenna to improve reception on the frequencies used in that area (almost exclusively Vhf-high). The RH789 Is also available at HRO. You would be using the BNC to SMA adapter that came with your scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.