Choppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Saw a pair of Hueys fly overhead from west to east headed toward downtown and switched on the sweeper on the 500. Got comms on 126.2MHz that sound like they could be them. Talking about "see you soon, we're landing on the highway" and a turret that was malfunctioning. Any other freqs that might be in use with all the increased helicopter activity leading up to the DNC?

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I can get the ground side, although broken, with my adjustable whip indoors at 38th Ave and Sheridan area. Sounds like they are testing comms and some kind of camera. Cleared to 16,500' and "heading up north". Trying to listen to ATC on 126.1 to get a callsign.

rckydenver

Getting alittle of both sides..Heard them call for dagger 3. This is at 76th and Sheridan..Now heard dagger 2..Scanning on the air ban try freq 125.9 MHz. Heard dagger mention there.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Now sending one of the Daggers up to CYS "to do a few turns over the VOR and see if they can still copy their signal". Got both freqs running now, 126.2 is much more active (As far as I can tell). Actually, 125.9 is ZDV (Denver Center) now that I think about it.

scanner_nut

Thanks for posting the air to air frequencies. There were three black and gold hueys that flew into fort carson this afternoon. I did not get a call sign, but will monitor the frequencies you listed for any traffic over the weekend.

scanner_nut

No joy, they flew back North yesterday at about 1100 with no traffic heard on 126.2. I did not even hear COS ATC call them to give them permission to squak 1200 and freq change approved.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Here's a thought. The call sign is Dagger XX. They went up to CYS the other day and were going up to FL220 to test some of their equipment. I think that is above the typical cruise range (if not above the absolute ceiling) for UH-60's. Also, they seemed to get up to CYS quicker than I think UH-60's would have. I'm thinking they might be UAV's, especially with the talk of video feed that I'm hearing again today. They're talking about crowd sizes and watching more people join crowds. Also talking about cells (weather) building and being cautious about them.
In a quick search on the internet, I found "dagger" is a known call sign for everything from A-10's, to P-3's to F-117's to F-22's. No mention of UAV's as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Dagger?

Here's a thought. The call sign is Dagger XX. They went up to CYS the other day and were going up to FL220 to test some of their equipment. I think that is above the typical cruise range (if not above the absolute ceiling) for UH-60's. Also, they seemed to get up to CYS quicker than I think UH-60's would have. I'm thinking they might be UAV's, especially with the talk of video feed that I'm hearing again today. They're talking about crowd sizes and watching more people join crowds. Also talking about cells (weather) building and being cautious about them.
In a quick search on the internet, I found "dagger" is a known call sign for everything from A-10's, to P-3's to F-117's to F-22's. No mention of UAV's as far as I can tell.

I was just out for a motorcycle ride and saw 2 twin engine aircraft in low-vis paint jobs. Looked like commuter airlines but definitely military paint jobs. No bumps or pods or antennas that I could tell. Might be several kinds of aircraft about.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
So I just stepped outside after hearing them talk about a crowd near Coors Field. I look up and see a Merlin orbiting about 15,000' or so I'd guess overheard. Also, orbiting in the opposite direction is another one. Just heard them calling for someone and identifiying themselves as "Secret Service <name> on the Merlin". Mystery solved.
Now, anyone know what a PPD TAC channel might be? Mentioning using it in the clear and encrypted. Also mention of RT-5 and SS channels.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.