Choppy audio on my feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I have two feeds, fed on a single computer. I am using scannercast to feed them. One scanner is connected to the PC via the on-board (motherboard) audio card, the other via a USB audio device. One is a Pro96, the other is a Pro-2096. They have separate antennas and power supplies. Both scanners are feeding P25 systems, but are not scanning the same control channels and talkgroups.
I got a PM today regarding the audio on one of the feeds (the writer didn't specify which feed), so I listened to them on my laptop from work. What I'm hearing is a "chopping" sound just before hearing the audio on the feed. It does not sound like the "chopping" sound is cutting off any of the actual audio, just preceding it. I listen to both of these scanners at home, and this sound is NOT present while listening to the scanners "live".

This is more of a minor annoyance than anything else, and I can live with it...but if there is a way to fix it, I'd like to do so. Any ideas?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're experiencing the "pulsing audio" bug in ScannerCast. Precisely what causes it is unknown, but it seems to have something to do with ScannerCast running for several days or weeks, at which point the connection between ScannerCast and the audio device goes haywire and you hear the resulting stu...stu...stu...stu...stuttering of the buffer at the beginning of each transmission.

The latest version of ScannerCast v0.14 (10307) has a fix for this issue, whereby every 48 hours between 3am and 4am local time, ScannerCast refreshes the connection to the audio device. The entire processes takes less than 1 second and is barely noticeable, if at all. I've been testing and running v0.14 for almost 3 months now, and haven't experienced a single incidence of the pulsing audio since, so I highly recommend the update.

ScannerCast Download

Just to note, as far as I know the update is not yet available in the RR version, so you'll have to use the full version instead to get the fix. If you are switching from the RR version to the full version, and you run multiple feeds, you MUST give each instance a unique Server Port # on the Config tab (5700, 5701, 5702, etc), otherwise they'll conflict and you'll get error messages.

When updating, overwrite all files in your ScannerCast directory(s) with the new versions. This includes the ScannerCast.exe file as well as 7 .dll files. Your .ini file will remain intact, but it's never a bad idea to copy it to another location before upgrading, just in case.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info, Chauffeur6. I'll have to try the newer version and see what happens, but it should work just fine.

04Z1V6

Bob, that was me that PM'ed you and I now have PM'ed you back I should have been more specific. Sorry. I have also changed to the new version of scannercast and have had no problems after the new install and was going to give you a heads up on the Fix. To all others that read this Bob has a couple of great feeds and I am a fan. I listen now using ScannerLive so I can have many feed at once running its a great new program.

richtidd

Database Admin
You're experiencing the "pulsing audio" bug in ScannerCast. Precisely what causes it is unknown, but it seems to have something to do with ScannerCast running for several days or weeks, at which point the connection between ScannerCast and the audio device goes haywire and you hear the resulting stu...stu...stu...stu...stuttering of the buffer at the beginning of each transmission.

The latest version of ScannerCast v0.14 (10307) has a fix for this issue, whereby every 48 hours between 3am and 4am local time, ScannerCast refreshes the connection to the audio device. The entire processes takes less than 1 second and is barely noticeable, if at all. I've been testing and running v0.14 for almost 3 months now, and haven't experienced a single incidence of the pulsing audio since, so I highly recommend the update.

ScannerCast Download

Just to note, as far as I know the update is not yet available in the RR version, so you'll have to use the full version instead to get the fix. If you are switching from the RR version to the full version, and you run multiple feeds, you MUST give each instance a unique Server Port # on the Config tab (5700, 5701, 5702, etc), otherwise they'll conflict and you'll get error messages.

When updating, overwrite all files in your ScannerCast directory(s) with the new versions. This includes the ScannerCast.exe file as well as 7 .dll files. Your .ini file will remain intact, but it's never a bad idea to copy it to another location before upgrading, just in case.

We are working on an updated RR version.
I do not have a ETA at this time.

feedus

Premium Subscriber

ScannerCast Download

I just updated to the newer version, so we will see if there are any problems. One thing I like is the fact that you can check the box for new updates. Thanks

feedus

Premium Subscriber
I just updated to the newer version, so we will see if there are any problems. One thing I like is the fact that you can check the box for new updates. Thanks

Hi all,
Since I've updated to the most current version of ScannerCast around 20+days ago, I have not had to reset the software, nor have I had any problems with the choppy audio occurring. I can honestly say, that everyone who is broadcasting here should be using ScannerCast. Thanks to Chauffer6 for point the way, Thanks ScannerCast for updating your software.

Status
Not open for further replies.