Chose TRX-1 Over Uniden HP-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eryoung2k

Just wondering if I made the right Choice, I ended up choosing the Whistler TRX-1 over the Uniden Home Patrol 2. I made my decision based on reading great things on Whistlers customer service (you actually have a phone number and speak to humans) Also I like the standard normal shape of the hand held. Reason getting a new scanner is my Uniden BC95XLT no longer was picking up my local area due to they went digital a few years ago. What are your thoughts? Should be getting it Saturday, ordered through Zipscanners.com. Got the upgraded Antenna they offered as well.

Take care and stay safe,
Eddie

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
They are an older receiver design and don't handle simulcast as well. I am in a simulcast area, but my location is great and have no problems.

mountainrider

I have both. The HP-2 with the extreme upgrade is very easy to use and also makes it easy to discover unknown talkgroups and LCN's. It doesn't get DMR or NXDN though. I'm just getting better with the TRX-1 even though I've had it for a couple years. The learning curve has been much, much steeper for my tiny brain compared to the HP-2. But I get some DMR systems and just today discovered some NXDN activity.

rayvelcoro

Just wondering if I made the right Choice, I ended up choosing the Whistler TRX-1 over the Uniden Home Patrol 2. I made my decision based on reading great things on Whistlers customer service (you actually have a phone number and speak to humans) Also I like the standard normal shape of the hand held. Reason getting a new scanner is my Uniden BC95XLT no longer was picking up my local area due to they went digital a few years ago. What are your thoughts? Should be getting it Saturday, ordered through Zipscanners.com. Got the upgraded Antenna they offered as well.

Take care and stay safe,
Eddie
Did you have an idea of what the simulcast environment is like in your area prior to ordering the TRX?

N8IAA

Take care and stay safe,
Eddie

You'll be fine. You have a ton of DMR in your county, and even some NXDN.
The HP2 doesn't do any of those digital modes.

With your county being mostly conventional analog, P-25, and DMR, the TRX-1 will be outstanding. (y)

eryoung2k

Going to be honest I don't even know what simulcast is?? I will look that up. I'm in the 02190 zip code Norfolk County, all I've been picking up is Brockton 02301 (Plymouth County) where I used to live (Brockton Ma) Wife and I got out of that place alive. Plenty of action in Brockton but want my town of Weymouth. Oh and thank you N81AA that makes me happy you saying that.

red8

Take care and stay safe,
Eddie
I ordered a TRX1 yesterday. I heard a lot of good. I wanted to upgrade and I see on the database some systems are phase 2, and I like to travel and I take a scanner with me to listen to what is going on. I am really looking forward when it comes in.

N8IAA

Going to be honest I don't even know what simulcast is?? I will look that up. I'm in the 02190 zip code Norfolk County, all I've been picking up is Brockton 02301 (Plymouth County) where I used to live (Brockton Ma) Wife and I got out of that place alive. Plenty of action in Brockton but want my town of Weymouth. Oh and thank you N81AA that makes me happy you saying that.

No 81. It is my ham radio call sign. November 8 India Alpha Alpha. Oh, and you're welcome. :)

JustLou

I'm actually studying to get my ham license! Not much else to do at the time due to the craziness that is going on!

Are they doing online testing nowadays? I was thinking of upgrading my "General" license to "Extra".

Status
Not open for further replies.