CHP 700 MHz Base Station Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I see in the data base a list of 700 MHz base channel frequencies. Will these be trunked or conventional 700 MHz repeaters? Also, I seem to recall these would only be used in metropolitan areas with hi-VHF frequencies in the out lying areas... Is that still the plan?

kma371

QRT
They are conventional as listed. They are used to replace the mobile extenders of 154.905 and for interop with other agencies.

W6KRU

They are conventional as listed. They are used to replace the mobile extenders of 154.905 and for interop with other agencies.

Once more but maybe type slower this time? I'm looking at the channel lineup for the new CHP portables posted by Wayne and I don't understand how the VRS freqs. and these CHP700BASE freqs are utilized. :confused:

Last edited:

jlanfn

California Database Admin
This is from a dated (2009) document on CHPERS:
11.1. Area Offices.
A local lowband base station and a desktop console are found in typical area offices. The desktop console, usually located in the Sergeants’ Office, controls the local base station. The base station, located in a small radio vault, allows the area office to communicate car-to-car (“C” channel) on the office’s primary and BLU frequencies and to listen to the primary “S” channel. Radio traffic is typically connected to the office’s PA system. Area offices do not have direct radio communications with its communications center. Some area offices also have multiband scanners.

The CHPERS project will install new 700/800 MHz base stations at all area offices and some division offices.

Additionally, the CHPERS project will install a 700/800 MHz base station (cross-banded to the lowband control station) to allow officers in the inspection bays using 700 MHz portable radios to have direct communications with their communications center.

As far as 700 MHz base stations are concerned, I suspect they will only be used to rebroadcast the lowband primary channel traffic so that officers can hear it and respond on their 700 MHz portables at the office.

Maybe avtarsingh can chime in on the current status of this effort reference the delays and problems that have plagued CHPERS.

W6KRU

Thanks jlanfn, If this cross-band repeater is for facilitation of comms by officers while in the office only, then I would guess it is going to be a very low power xmitter?

officer_415

Database Admin
As far as 700 MHz base stations are concerned, I suspect they will only be used to rebroadcast the lowband primary channel traffic so that officers can hear it and respond on their 700 MHz portables at the office.

The current base stations at area offices do not function as extenders. Let's use the Stockton Office as an example. Their local lowband base station allows them (via a desktop console in the sergeant's office) to transmit and receive on WHITE B and BLUE B, as well as receive on WHITE M. If an officer wants to talk to Stockton Dispatch Center on his portable radio, it must be done via the vehicular repeater.

officer_415

Database Admin
Unfortunately that's beyond my knowledge. I assumed they were going to set up a system of conventional repeaters throughout the state, much like the current UHF frequencies. However, based on the document you quoted, it appears they may also be used to facilitate communications at their inspection facilities.

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
My guess is you have base and mobile, like repeater out and in frequencies. I didn't notice anything on the CHP database page that would indicate any different, nothing mentioned like "fixed station".

My guess, now yours.

Justin

******* if I read further down the page I would have seen the the future base part. Perhaps to replace the Capital Ops type comms? *******

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Okay, then I have to ask again. What are these 700MHz Base frequencies used for ?
For 700MHz repeaters for CHP. As far as I have seen there haven't been any remote base setups, they've been true repeaters.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
If you look at almost any CHP field office you will see that the top of the tower now has a 700mhz antenna (it is a white fiberglass gain antenna about a foot long). In all the ones I have seen the lowband antenna has been moved to the side of the tower.

So there is something in the works for the 700mhz channels besides extenders.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The antennas at the offices, inspection facilities or wherever are for portables to listen to the LB freqs. Think of it as an extender for building and parking lot coverage.

officer_415

Database Admin
The antennas at the offices, inspection facilities or wherever are for portables to listen to the LB freqs. Think of it as an extender for building and parking lot coverage.

So there are station extenders? I was under the impression that area offices only had low band base stations, and portable communications needed to go through the vehicular repeater.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Think of it as an extender but not necessarily the same thing. And not everything has to go through the in-vehicle extender.

Sac916

Hearing 774.53125 NAC296 Valley Division - Sacramento Dispatch Center CHP BLACK South Sacramento - Hearing Dispatch and Mobile

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Hearing 774.53125 NAC296 Valley Division - Sacramento Dispatch Center CHP BLACK South Sacramento - Hearing Dispatch and Mobile
Those channels are meant to repeat the Lowband at AO's. I know the portables are set to receive in digital squelch mode ("EXTENDER D" is the channel) but I figured the Base channels to follow the N7D# NAC format (# being the channel number).

Last edited:

capturecom

Premium Subscriber
I heard from some folks in SAC that all new CHP motors are being equipped with a special Pyramid P-750 unit (P25).

It operates on 774.53125 simplex, versus the duplex VRS System found in the upgraded CPVE cars, and every officer is issued a new EF Johnson 5100ES portable. It appears that it will function similar to the current VHF-H extender system, but P25. And the frequency does appear to be a base channel, which seems to indicate that only offices without motors can effectively use 774.53125 (CHP Base CH 5), once the 700 MHz CHP Base system is deployed.

That project is on hold right now. Which is funny, because CHP paid a hefty premium (20% over low bid) for immediate delivery on the Panorama antennas for the motors and they are just sitting in the warehouse in Sac.

Status
Not open for further replies.