chp 700 mhz monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbdyspclk

hello,i have a RS pro106 scanner and am trying to figure out the way to monitor chp valley div,im near davis ca,outside RS multi antanea mounted about 35' up,clear LOS,help

kma371

QRT
If im undrstanding you right you only want to minitor the 700mhz freqs?

You would have a better chance monitoring the reg 42mhz freqs as the others are low power and you need to be pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kma371

QRT
And your using the freqs In the DB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
When you listen to CHP, remember to set up the freq so that it SEARCHES for the CTSS tone. If you put the tone # in manually it will result in there being dropouts and you can't pick it up real well. If you have it manually search it doesn't have dropouts. I found this out accidentally. I even made a thread about it and have had confirmation from others that having it search instead of putting it in prevents the intermittent dropouts.

Good luck.

sacscan

I've been monitoring CHP for years with Uniden and GRE-manufactured scanners, and I've never had an issue with these "dropouts" you speak of. I always put the CTCSS tones in for the area I'm interested in monitoring, and that eliminates the annoying interference I often get from nearby electronic devices. Without CTCSS, the scanner will hang on continuous static sometimes.

Also, back in the days when the Valley Gold was on 42.120, CTCSS was necessary to lock out Oakland CHP, which transmitted on the same frequency with a different tone.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it works better for your area. All I know is that when I first tried listening to my area on 44.92 all I would get is chopped transmissions. And by fiddling with the CTSS from manually entered to search it stopped the choppyness and had no dropouts.

If it works it works.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
If the PL setting is in the search mode why bother with the PL; just turn the PL off altogether. Setting the PL for search allows all signals, including noise, to open the squelch anyway. You would only want to search the PL tone if you wanted to find and use the PL on that frequency. I say just turn the PL feature off until you can make adjustments to the squelch and PL Fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.