CHP Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYmedic212

Hello,

I've seen treads on the Radio Callsigns when CHP Aircraft communicate on their frequencies, however I was wondering what callsign they use when speaking to Air Traffic Control. Specifically their fixed wing aircraft.

Thank you,

Justin G.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They usually use "CHP xx", with xx being the same number they use on the FM radios.

For example, Valley Division H-20 would use CHP-2-0 and Air-21 would use CHP-21. I have heard the Air units say Air on the AM radios from time to time. I think generally the FAA controllers know that CHP and Air are the same thing.

Last edited:

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
For local airports I also only hear "CHP Air XX" for fixed wing and "CHP H-XX" or "CHP Helicopter H-XX" for rotor. I'm not sure if they'd ever check in with an ARTCC like Oakland Center, unless maybe a longer ferry flight that isn't tactical/patrol in nature. If so, it's likely their tail number.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I think this is very much up to how the pilot does it. The controllers know who they are so it's not that big of an issue.

I flew in an aircraft that had an Idaho call sign for a few years and sometimes we would use the Idaho and sometimes we would use the tail number depending on how quickly we needed to get through the controlled airspace.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
It really depends on who they are talking to. A lot of law enforcement, news agencies, etc., have Letters of Agreement with the tower(s) they frequently operate out of, to allow for the use of special telephony. For example, N123AB might be referred to as News 7 or News Copter 7 or something like that, per the LOA.

However, in the radar environment, none of that applies. Unless they have a 3 letter ICAO call sign, 4 letter local call sign, or a federal law enforcement/military call sign, they will be referred to by the tail number. I have seen CHP on numerous occassions attempt to use CHPxxx for their filed call sign, but that actually belongs to Aviacsa. I have seen them just say "CHP XXX" on the radio while filing their N Number, as they're supposed to. All of that just thoroughly annoys controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.