CHP and Border Patrol Interop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssmith39

Premium Subscriber
After listening to a "failure to yield" pursuit the other day I heard what sounded like Border Patrol units on low band getting involved.

(1) Are the "Border xx" callsigns CHP or Border Patrol?

(2) What (who) is the "Border King" callsign?

(3) How does the Border Patrol communicate with the CHP - 700 Mhz? I don't see low band antennas on the Border Patrol vehicles.

scottyhetzel

1. Yes CHP

2.Border king is the K-9 unit for all of the border division...they mostly work nights. If you look in the D.B. You will see all the stations under the border division.

3. Border King is on the dispatch channel that they are working in...so that can be different stationswhich is low band. 700 MHz if they are on their extender frequencies.

Scott

MikeyC

"Border" units are from the CHP Border Division office in San Diego ( https://www.chp.ca.gov/Find-an-Office/Border-Division ). If memory serves, they were more specialized units that could roam throughout the division

"Border King" is a K-9 unit from the Border Division office

Unless things have changed for the better since I moved away from SoCal a few years ago, there's not much in the way of direct communications between Border Patrol units and CHP units in the field except relaying through their respective dispatch center or, and I think I heard this a time or two, patches on the RCS.

JoeyC

US Border Patrol and CHP Border units are two separate entities - nothing to do with each other. As MikeyC states, if there is communications it is through the respective dispatch center. Occasionally you will hear SDPD or Border patrol call the other on a talkgroup on the SD city system, but thats about it. I have heard in the past ABLE state over the air that BP is the only county unit they are not able to be in contact with directly. This may have changed, but coordination between the two were done by telephone in the past. They would of course be able to communicate over aviation frequencies to the Border patrol helicopter.

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
I believe this is how it works; The Border Patrol communications center has the ability to patch to the RCS via the Sheriff's communications center. The Sheriff,s communication center can then patch to the CHP communications center. This BIM to BIM patch allows a CHP unit to communicate directly with a Border Patrol unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.