CHP Automated Patrol Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
When two of their patrol cars were taken out of service last month, nobody at the California Highway Patrol shed any tears. The vehicles had high mileage, officials said, and were the victims of wear and tear.

Enter their high-tech replacements - automated patrol units operated by verbal or manual commands.

While unchanged on the outside - standard black-and-white Ford Crown Victorias bearing the CHP logo on both doors and toting a hard-to-hide light bar - the interior couldn't be more different.

Gone are the bulky monitor and corresponding keyboard, which hindered the driver's movements. Banished are the mounted police radio/scanner and radar units, which also ate up a lot of space.

In their places are a compact computer unit mounted to the dashboard, an ergonomically designed control panel adjacent to the driver's seat for easy manipulation, and a slim radio unit and glass viewing screen resembling a teleprompter tacked near the driver's side visor.

"The major benefit to me is I can drive around, run plates, talk to dispatch without taking my eyes off the road," said Chris Wahl, one of four officers - including Dave Gaskins, Rich Taylor and Matt Guy - assigned to drive the cars.

While comfortable maneuvering his car now, Wahl admits he was skeptical at first. Although used by the military, he said, he and other officers weren't sure about the TACNET technology embedded in the cars.

TACNET - created by Michigan-based Visteon Corporation - launched last October. It streamlines the need for multiple gadgets - some of which are stored in the trunk - and incorporates the use of lights, sirens, radar, AM/FM radio, police radios and other functions - such as a way to immediately cut the headlights - into one system.

The program also has two batteries - the real deal and a spare - and puts operational control in the driver's hands by responding to commands via the officer's voice, by accessing the control pod or by using the touch screen.

A major concern, Wahl said, was officer safety. Considering that all of the car's functions are computerized, would it still function in a crash or would the officer's life be in danger?

"They put it through some tests at the academy," he said, of the CHP's training center in West Sacramento. "It actually rolled a couple times and it held up."

Another worry was whether the technology was user-friendly. In the first two weeks, apparently, it wasn't. "It takes some getting used to," Wahl emphasized.

Learning to voice-command - basically, talk to the car - was an experience, he said. Then came memorizing the buttons on the hand-shaped control panel, followed by figuring out how to use the monitor's touch screen.

For a while, he said, he would tap at the screen in frustration until the function he wanted eventually was carried out. And, there were mishaps.

"I had my lights off one night. I didn't know I was driving without my lights on," Wahl said. A look at the screen apparently alerted him to the problem.

The introductory period now over, Wahl said he appreciates the extra space in the car created by the integrated system. He enjoys the clear viewing screen, which shows him all the information he's asked for without his ever having to look away from the road while on, say, a traffic stop.

The ability to communicate with other agencies and every CHP branch in the state is also a great officer safety aid, he said. "The overall plus is everything's right here over by your right hand," he said.

None of the existing cars is scheduled to be outfitted with the TACNET gear, but beginning in 2005, every new car joining the CHP fleet will have the technology.

SAR923

Don't forget the extra $5000 for those cool clear LED lightbars they'll just have to get also. :) I wonder how voice commands work when you've got two officers in the car? And how well they respond to, shall we say, a slight increase in voice volume and word speed when you're in pursuit and the siren is taking up about 50 db's of background noise? I'm sure this has all been tested though, and everthing will work perfectly. :roll:

zgafford

I think it will do fine and be a big help. The only time there are 2 officers in the car is on "C" watch(graveyard) and even then it will be the second officer that uses it just like it is the second officer that does everything now while the first is driving. Like any new system there will be bugs to work out but in the long run I believe it will be a big help and with how often the officers are involved in crashes it might save a life or two and that is a good enough reason for me.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I am an Assignment Editor at KTXL-TV in Sacramento. We did a story on it Sunday. This was the info my reporter got on the story.

SAR923

And the OS is Win2K (not even Win2k Pro) with a 700 mHz processor, 256mb of RAM and 4 mb of video RAM. To run that entire display? Maybe you're willing to trust your life to something with specs like this for $75,000 but I'm sure not. This concept may very well be the wave of the future but this unit needs a lot of work before I'd trust it for anything as mission critical as police work. I'd hardly be able to keep a computer with specs like that running a few Office applications without running out of RAM.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Project54 out of New Hampshire has been doing this for sometime now. NHSP is going fleetwide with it, and some towns and cities are jumping on board as well.

On their website, they layout all the componts and parts needed to fabricate one.

W2K is still the standard business/public safety OS. Its rock solid and stable. It takes a LONG time for new OS's to make it to our world..and using the latest/greatest isn't always benefical.

zgafford

SAR2401 said:
And the OS is Win2K (not even Win2k Pro) with a 700 mHz processor, 256mb of RAM and 4 mb of video RAM. To run that entire display?

Well first off there is no "regular" Win2K the entry level IS the pro version and from there you go to the server versions. Second, 2000 is the most stable windows platform available and requires the least system resources.

The programs that the CHP uses require very little resources and will run fast and stable on these programs. Hell the current MDC's are all win95 and they still run descent. The main program they use, STAR, does not require much to run

SteveS

I have seen them in action. They are very nice and worth worth the $$. And its about time the CHP got caught up from the Ponch and John days.

RolnCode3

Umm...at least up here CHP has MDTs in their cars. Those Camaros with the LED bars sure ain't Ponch and John! While they're mostly for commercial enforcement (how the HELL that happened I'll never know), I'd venture to say that CHP has kept up with the times (radio system notwithstanding). I see a 870 and an AR15 in a lot of their cars. They've got 800 radios in cars around here as well. Lots of LED stuff on the slicktops.

I'd say that this is probably a little ahead of the times. There isn't another agency out this way (that I've heard of) that uses this setup. I think it's cool, but I definitely think there's better ways to be spending our money right now. They can live with having to throw a 3-position switch and type out a licenese plate.

Personally, I'd rather see some of the money for this high-cost item go to Parks (so they don't have to run their entry costs up). But hey, what do I know.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
RolnCode3 said:
...I'd say that this is probably a little ahead of the times. There isn't another agency out this way (that I've heard of) that uses this setup....

Ahhhh yes, but remember most agencies out thisaway won't try anything expensive until CHP has tested it!!

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Saw a demo tape of the Visteon system....looks neat, but damn complicated until you get familiar with it.

Only thing I wondered about was the heads-up display. CHP rides 2 man on midnights, so what is the passenger supposed to do? He is the one that should be handling MDC/radio traffic, but he has no HUD.

I don't get it.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Saw a demo tape of the Visteon system....looks neat, but damn complicated until you get familiar with it.

Only thing I wondered about was the heads-up display. CHP rides 2 man on midnights, so what is the passenger supposed to do? He is the one that should be handling MDC/radio traffic, but he has no HUD.

I don't get it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LOL! Hey remember that movie with Tom Selleck called Runaway, with the fully auto PC? Hmmm are we headed that way...

Maybe in a few years, a CHP cruiser with a dual HUD... one for driver for all vehicle controls, one for the passenger for radio/mds/scanner/stunner (EIJD).

Status
Not open for further replies.