CHP Base Channel vs Mobile Channel (and Mobile Extenders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
That's not how it works. VRS is driven by input NACs, not talkgroups of any kind.

Input NAC is a way to do it.

They are also transmitting a TGID of some kind thought, it's required in a P25 (and DMR, NXDN,...) radio, be it 0001 or FFFF or something else.

kma371

QRT
Input NAC is a way to do it.

They are also transmitting a TGID of some kind thought, it's required in a P25 (and DMR, NXDN,...) radio, be it 0001 or FFFF or something else.

Yes it's a way to do it. It is the way they do it though. I've seen the tables.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
This is not entirely correct, Channel 2 is the BASE frequency. Car to car simplex is done via channel 2 (the base frequency).

Thanks - we may have said the same thing, in different ways?

And as far as dispatch monitoring the base frequency, would that simply be RX at the dispatch center itself or do they have access to RX on base channel from remote locations? I guess that could be possible, just another audio channel on the microwave link back to the center to mix into the consoles. Otherwise RX at the dispatch center would only be effective for the area around the dispatch center.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I really doubt that dispatch would monitor their own base frequency. Having your own voice come back in your ear is slightly annoying, but if there is any delay (as any modern console has along with the rest of the infrastructure) it would be quite unsettling.

The CHP used to have the ability to switch from base to car-car kinda "on the fly". Do they still have that or just change channels now like we all do? The Tesla recording is inconclusive as to whether they were on base or car-car and just switching back and forth.

akardam

I really doubt that dispatch would monitor their own base frequency. Having your own voice come back in your ear is slightly annoying, but if there is any delay (as any modern console has along with the rest of the infrastructure) it would be quite unsettling.

The CHP used to have the ability to switch from base to car-car kinda "on the fly". Do they still have that or just change channels now like we all do? The Tesla recording is inconclusive as to whether they were on base or car-car and just switching back and forth.

This is a SWAG on my part if CHP is using this, but most consoles can do both acoustic and RF-based cross muting - that is to say, if the dispatcher keys up resource X, the audio from resource Y is muted for the duration of their transmission. CHP typically does have base frequency RX remote bases for given channels at some of their sites, which is how they would hear the car to car traffic.

My recollection from the last time I saw the Rockwell-Collins CPVE setup was they had a custom mic with two switches on it, similar to the old GE radios. Of course, if they're on their extender, they need to switch channels on the portable to gell the car to TX on the base freq, as opposed to the mobile freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.