CHP channel naming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Does anyone know if the naming of the CHP color channels with a "1" or "2" after it means that its a repeated channel?

When doing imports from the database the inputs for those stations that are repeated are not in the input field so everything gets downloaded unless you individually deselect them.

I'd like to not include the Mobile freqs if the Base is repeated when programming scanners.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
They're All Repeated Now, Mobile And Base were used when they werent so you can hear the unit if you were close to them, you will hear them both now on both frequencies.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the -1, -2, or -3 indicates the combination of frequencies is a variant of the original combination. As an example, "Blue-1" (39.14/42.18) has operated for a number of years alongside "Blue" (42.34/42.18), which is still in use.

The difference with the -2 and -3 variants seems to be that the designation is division-based and may not be not statewide.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp 101

Does anyone know if the naming of the CHP color channels with a "1" or "2" after it means that its a repeated channel?
It has nothing to do with it being a repeated channel. The meaning really depends on the Division you're looking at. But essentially a 2 channel is typically a newer version of a 1 channel and a 3 is a newer version of a 2 in the same division.

If you are comparing two channels in different divisions, typically just take the latest version of a channel with each division. For example, the (Sacramento) Valley division is now using Gold 3 but Inland division is still using Gold and LA Gold 2.

Blue is a LOT more confusing. It used to be that most of the state was on the same pair of frequencies, with a border area having another Blue channel called Blue 1. As divisions change to new frequencies the Blue channel changes to 2 or 3, etc.

When the channels had just a color name and no number, they all used the same pair of frequencies and were differentiated by the CT value used in that division. Each division used a single CT value. Now the frequencies are all different and in some cases CTs vary per channel pair.

When doing imports from the database the inputs for those stations that are repeated are not in the input field so everything gets downloaded unless you individually deselect them.
I do not consider the CHP system to be repeated. During this past week in my area (Blue, Gold, Green, Black) very little was repeated. I have all the mobile frequencies programmed, antennas that work well on low band VHF and expect no repeat. If a transmission happens to be repeated, great, but I don't count on it.

I'd like to not include the Mobile freqs if the Base is repeated when programming scanners.
Then plan on missing traffic. CHP is not like programming true repeated agencies.

kma371

QRT
They're All Repeated Now, Mobile And Base were used when they werent so you can hear the unit if you were close to them, you will hear them both now on both frequencies.

Not 100% true. LA maybe, but a lot of areas are not.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Not 100% true. LA maybe, but a lot of areas are not.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I Apologize I Assumed LA Area But The Southern Division Is Repeated, Im Not aware of the other areas since i dont listen to them

SCPD

QRT
As I understand it the numbers will go away once the CHPERS project has been completed. I believe the "3's" came about because interference issues with the "2" frequency combinations that were not foreseen when the new system was being designed.

I don't think the rural areas will be passing the mobile traffic on to the base station frequency. The Bishop Dispatch Center is a good example of why. Bishop dispatches for 3 area offices and the terrain and size of the area covered requires 10 or more remote base stations. From the standpoint of repeated traffic eliminating units calling in simultaneously it would do little good when a Bridgeport unit near the state line calls in while a Mojave unit, 180 miles away, call at the same time. In some cases two Bridgeport officers cannot hear all the remote bases in Mono County, let alone a Bridgeport unit and a Bishop unit in Death Valley.

JoeyC

Then plan on missing traffic. CHP is not like programming true repeated agencies.

I am aware that the system is not a conventional repeater. In San Diego county the Orange 1 and the Tan 1 are always repeated on the Base. They don't nilly-willy turn it on and off.

So, looking at the database, as its listed, there is no way to tell which pairs are repeated and which are not? because in SD county I have never programmed the mobile side of the pair and am not missing anything.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp 101

They don't nilly-willy turn it on and off.
Actually they do just that around here. As I wrote, it depends on the division you are monitoring; and more accurately, which channel within the division.

So, looking at the database, as its listed, there is no way to tell which pairs are repeated and which are not?
At this point in time there is not. Partly because it can be easily turned on and off (and is) in some locations.

However, there is one clue, but it is not 100%. For the "repeated traffic" to work as planned, the engineers would like ~3MHz between the base and mobile frequencies. So if your base is ~39.x MHz or ~45.x MHz with mobiles in the 42.x MHz range; it is far more likely to be repeated than if both base and mobile frequencies are in the 42.x MHz range.

iguyer

To echo the instances of non-repeated frequencies: sometimes Redwood City amber is repeated, other times it isn't.

Most, if not all, of the other Golden Gate Division frequencies are repeated 99% of the time.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
To add further confusion... The Bay Area pairs (not sure about the rest of the state) are set so the dispatcher can use the radio in half duplex mode and keep the base keyed up while still listening to the mobile units.

KJ6HCB

? As of when?

Not today.

God... its confusing.

I think it really is turned on and off all the time, many times a day. Or it has to do with select receivers being repeated, perhaps?

Today I heard Station 9 Santa Maria units on 42.56 SLO White fine, which means they were being repeated, but maybe 2 hours later they werent being repeated, and I was hearing them far out on 42.72.

Also we had a CHP involved 11-80 today, unknown extent of injuries so far. Prayers his way :(

315788_10150535070523709_240187228708_11643742_1926250004_n.jpg

WA1ATA

To add further confusion... The Bay Area pairs (not sure about the rest of the state) are set so the dispatcher can use the radio in half duplex mode and keep the base keyed up while still listening to the mobile units.

And to make it even more confusing, its clear from some conversations I've heard that the dispatcher (Golden Gate Ruby at least) can also hear the car-to-car transmissions that are done by the mobiles transmitting on the base transmitter freq.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
And to make it even more confusing, its clear from some conversations I've heard that the dispatcher (Golden Gate Ruby at least) can also hear the car-to-car transmissions that are done by the mobiles transmitting on the base transmitter freq.

I've heard that too where the Dispatchers can hear Ch. 2 (Direct) but never understood exactly how that works. I'm a ham but that is just confusing and goes against all logic!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.