CHP Cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkenny53

Okay this seems to happen alot. using my 396xt, I tend to listen to CHP on the 45 mile drive back and forth to work and home. When listening to CHP I get this cutting out about evey 3-5 seconds during a conversation. you hear then drop, then hear then drops, like someone is pressing the mic and releaseing it. It is not their lock freq tone either. I dont have anything in the background running, happens on a live freq. I dont have any priority channels set, so it is not that, it is only the CHP stuff it does it on, no other systems. It is so annoying, because you cant listen to anything. any ideas?

RadioDaze

I too have noticed something like that from time to time on CHP... left me wondering if it might be them, not me. BTW, what are you using for an antenna? If it's not low-band capable, it could be a challenge to get good reception.

JoeyC

The only time I have heard what you describe is when listening only to the extender frequency of 154.905.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If not priority, did you check to see if close call or WX priority is turned on?

tkenny53

No no other items turned on. I have the old Radio Shack Pro 37 spring antenna, it picks up everything. I thought it might be the mode, FM NFM may be the problem, they seem to be in the middle of both it seems. Also on low VHF, not the extender.

W6KRU

My 396XT receives the CHP very well with a proper antenna using FM mode. With a marginal antenna, I experience the pulsing-fading I think you are describing. A proper VHF-Low antenna is required. I haven't found a multiband antenna that works very well.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Are you 100% its not something that is on? the problem sounds exactly like Close Call / WX / priority being on.

From the wiki..

My audio is cutting out every couple of seconds. What is wrong?

You probably have one of the priority features turned on.
Close Call Priority -- audio will cut out every 2 seconds on all systems. If your model supports it, check out Close Call Do-Not-Disturb to keep the Close Call feature but lose the "gap."
Weather Prioirty -- audio will cut out every 5 seconds on all systems.
Conventional Priority -- audio will cut out every 2 seconds only on Conventional systems (that time is user configurable).
Another thing that causes audio cutouts is CTCSS or DCS, also known as "PL tone". If audio cuts out on a conventional channel with CTCSS, try changing the modulation setting to "FM" instead of "NFM". If the signal is weak, you may need to lower the squelch setting too.
On the BCT15, the bear tracker warning system (bear claw icon) will also cause your audio to cut out every two seconds when active (thanx KB3JNX)

Uplink

Have you tried loosening the squelch? Syllables will get clipped like that when the squelch is too tight on a weak to medium signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.