CHP Districts / Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
Looking for a map of the CHP district boundaries overlaid on a conventional highway map to aid in visually seeing where the boundaries are.
Thanks...

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
California Highway Patrol Officer
At the very bottom has a pdf may not be what you want but it might help
Yes I downloaded that pdf. That's what fueled my question. Wonder if the districts are simply by county lines? Makes too much sense, but might be. Maybe by county lines and secondly by major highways. Was just planning a trip to Orange County in December and my mind wandered!
Thank You 626hawkeye.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes I downloaded that pdf. That's what fueled my question. Wonder if the districts are simply by county lines? Makes too much sense, but might be.
I'm interested in which radio channels cover which geographical area and yes it is often county lines. But in congested areas, there are multiple channels and obviously there needs to be some other boundaries.

Maybe by county lines and secondly by major highways. Was just planning a trip to Orange County in December and my mind wandered!
Thank You 626hawkeye.
Here's a map that I believe is what you're looking for.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in which radio channels cover which geographical area and yes it is often county lines. But in congested areas, there are multiple channels and obviously there needs to be some other boundaries.

Here's a map that I believe is what you're looking for.
It does not automatically open Google Earth Pro. I saved the link but it is not a KML file.

626hawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Current CHP coverage map?

On here there's a map for what looks like the L.A. area. I can't find one for Orange county. I've tried looking. It would be nice if they had a map on the CHP web site other then the one I gave you prior. You're welcome. 😊

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That KML file opens Google Earth Pro for me. It also appears that I previously took a few seconds to import it into Google Earth Pro as it is listed in Places. I am using version 7.3.3.7786 (64-bit) on a Mac.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It does not automatically open Google Earth Pro. I saved the link but it is not a KML file.
I found that your browser matters. It works with Chrome. What I did was download the KML file. Open up Google Earth with Chrome, then "import" the KML file.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Yes I downloaded that pdf. That's what fueled my question. Wonder if the districts are simply by county lines? Makes too much sense, but might be. Maybe by county lines and secondly by major highways. Was just planning a trip to Orange County in December and my mind wandered!
Thank You 626hawkeye.

The "districts" are called "areas" and each leading number(s) you hear on the radio refers to the area office. CHP tries to have one office for every county, except in metro areas they need far more. The one office per county principle is the objective and they often use county lines in their organization. It would seem simple on paper and on maps to always use county lines, but on the ground that doesn't work in many places. For example, here in the eastern Sierra, the Bridgeport Area Office, #71 covers all of Mono County, except for U.S. 6 and California SR 168 in the southeast portion of the county. The traffic volume on U.S. 6 is far lower than U.S. 395 and the roads that join U.S. 6 are both limited and slow going. An officer from Bishop can arrive sooner than officers working beats on U.S. 395 and its connectors, e.g. June Lake Loop, Tioga Pass, the western portion of CA SR 120 east of 395. The little portion of Mono County that CA SR 168 crosses is tough for anyone to get to, but especially any officer in Mono County. So the Bishop Area Office, #72 covers the entire southeast portion of Mono County. If Bridgeport had to cover that portion of Mono County, their coverage on U.S. 395 would be compromised and that is where most of the incidents are.

I think I have a CHP statewide area office map that I might be able to post. I will take a look around later, right now I'm caught up in watching the Dodger post game show and a couple of college football games. I've lived in 4 states and have always be a Dodger fan. I'm for UCLA and anyone who happens to be playing USC! We are so socked in with smoke from the Creek Fire today that I could not go outside or be in the garage to work on some projects.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I didn't find exactly what people probably want, that is a good map with area office boundaries overlayed on a county and major road base map. I will offer up a couple of maps that lots of longer term members probably already have, so these are actually reposts.

2012 Map of CHP Dispatch Center Coverage Areas.png

Attachments

• 2013 CHP Statewide Frequency Map.pdf
    890.7 KB · Views: 177

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Crap, the first attachment is a PNG and I don't know how to change it so everyone can open it.

EDIT Just right click it and open in a different tab.

Last edited:

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
I didn't find exactly what people probably want, that is a good map with area office boundaries overlayed on a county and major road base map. I will offer up a couple of maps that lots of longer term members probably already have, so these are actually reposts.

View attachment 92904
tHANK YOU FOR THE MAPS.tHAT WILL BE CLOSE ENOUGH.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There are many areas where the boundaries do not follow county lines. I was unable to open the page linked by gmclam, but the map posted by mibzzer15 is accurate.
Perhaps I should have written "here is a thread which contains maps" as that link I posted is just another thread here on RR. That thread contains a couple of maps including a link to the KML file.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
The KML file gmclam linked above in post 4 is the most accurate to date, and in Google Earth (here's where to download it for Desktop, the mobile versions don't import KML's I don't think...) you can zoom down to the exact intersection the boundaries switch over.

Don't worry about the KML if you don't understand Google Earth, or you don't need the exact boundary lines. The map png/pdf files listed above is definitely close enough to understand and scan CHP.

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
I understood what you were saying lol, the problem is the link in that thread (http://www.matthew.at/chp.kml) is dead. Not your fault.

My web server was in my garage. My garage burned down in the CZU lightning complex, along with the rest of my house, and the tower site I operated just down the road. I'm just finally getting insurance inventory done, so now I'm catching up on what's offline due to the fire. I'll see about hosting it elsewhere soon. Sorry about that.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
My web server was in my garage. My garage burned down in the CZU lightning complex, along with the rest of my house, and the tower site I operated just down the road. I'm just finally getting insurance inventory done, so now I'm catching up on what's offline due to the fire. I'll see about hosting it elsewhere soon. Sorry about that.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. No rush on getting anything for this forum or RR. Take care of yourself first.

Status
Not open for further replies.