CHP Frequencies in the I.E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendaryAcura88

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I've been searching for some time now and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I came across a map of the different areas CHP patrolled and their "colors". I then cross referenced this based on the local CHP offices. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the exact frequencies for my area. I'm attempting to program 3 different channels. The first one being from the 210 to the 60, between the 605 and the 15. The second one being the 15 from the 210/215 region up all the way through Nevada, and the 395 from the 15 up to Ridgecrest. Lastly, the 3rd, would be the 57 from the 210 to the 5, and the 5 from the 57 all the way down to the Mexico border. Also the 15 from the 210 down to the border area. I know this is a lot and in my tired state probably a little complicated, but if there's any questions feel free to post. If anyone can tell me the actual frequencies I should be using, or point me to a map or other Thread with this specific info, I'd be greatly appreciated. At the moment I feel all I'm picking up is the areas south of the 60 and east of the 15...

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Here's what I know.

I-210/SR-210:
From I-605 to San Bernardino County Line - Orange-2 Baldwin Park
From San Bernardino County Line to Sierra Avenue - Beige-1 Rancho Cucamonga
From Sierra Avenue to I-10 - Copper-1 San Bernardino

SR-60:
From I-605 to San Bernardino County Line - Gold-2 Santa Fe Springs
From San Bernardino County Line to Riverside County Line - Beige-1 Rancho Cucamonga
From Riverside County Line to Gilman Springs Road - Turquoise-1 Riverside
From Gilman Springs Road to I-10 - Red San Gorgonio Pass

I-15:
Just south of SR-74 - Tan-1 Temecula
From SR-74 to San Bernardino County Line - Turquoise-1 Riverside
From San Bernardino Couny Line to Sierra Avenue - Beige-1 Rancho Cucamonga
From Sierra Avenue to Oak Hill Road - Copper-1 San Bernardino
From Oak Hill Road to (I'm not sure) - White Victorville

I-215:
Just south of SR-74 - Tan-1 Temecula
From SR-74 to San Bernardino County Line - Turquoise-1 Riverside
From San Bernardino County Line to I-15 - Copper-1 San Bernardino

LegendaryAcura88

Premium Subscriber
jlanfn, Thank you, that is exactly what I'm looking for. So now I'm looking for the 57 southbound from the 210 to the 5, and the 5 south from that point on to the border. Also looking for sr-395 from the 15 to Ridgecrest. Does anyone know of anywhere there is a map that actually shows all of this information?

LegendaryAcura88

Premium Subscriber
Alright, all of those maps were excellent for finding exactly what I was looking for. There's just one more question I have. sfdf, in the map you posted there's a little sliver of color, maybe yellow, and it goes right in between Inland Division, White, 820, Victorville, and Southern Division, Orange, 525, Baldwin Park, and I can't seem to account for it on any of the mas, other than the one you posted. Any ideas?

PaulNDaOC

Hello, I've been searching for some time now and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I came across a map of the different areas CHP patrolled and their "colors". I then cross referenced this based on the local CHP offices. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the exact frequencies for my area. I'm attempting to program 3 different channels. The first one being from the 210 to the 60, between the 605 and the 15. The second one being the 15 from the 210/215 region up all the way through Nevada, and the 395 from the 15 up to Ridgecrest. Lastly, the 3rd, would be the 57 from the 210 to the 5, and the 5 from the 57 all the way down to the Mexico border. Also the 15 from the 210 down to the border area. I know this is a lot and in my tired state probably a little complicated, but if there's any questions feel free to post. If anyone can tell me the actual frequencies I should be using, or point me to a map or other Thread with this specific info, I'd be greatly appreciated. At the moment I feel all I'm picking up is the areas south of the 60 and east of the 15...

Checking the CHP Communications map I have, Hwy 395 in SB County is dispatched by Barstow center on 42.56B/42.72M. Victorville (12) units handle from I-15 to just south of Hwy 58, with Barstow (73) units cover from Hwy 58 (Kramer Jct) to the Kern County line.

Crossing into Kern County areas along 395 all the way up to Nevada are dispatched by the center in Bishop on the Gold (42.12 B/ 42.20 M). Mojave units (59) cover 395 and areas around Ridgecrest up to the Inyo County Line, On the same frequency Bishop (72) units handle 395 in Inyo up to the Mono County line as you near the Mammoth turn-off, with Bridgeport (71) handling the remainder of 395 to the Nevada line.

In addition to what was stated in an earlier post, on the desert portion of I-15 from Oak Hills to Primm Nev is also dispatched by Barstow also on the White (42.56/42.72) with Victorville covering north to Stoddard Mountain Road, with Barstow handling the northern part up to Nevada.

The last stretch before Primm gets a decent amount of coverage thanks to patrol officers patrolling from their residences that you can see as you near the Mountain Pass exit to the north.

As for the 57 and 5 south, From I-210 to I-10/ Baldwin Park (81 units) on Orange 2- 45.02 Repeated.
From I-10 to Orange County line/ Santa Fe Springs (83) on Gold 2- 39.40R.
From 57/ OC line to I-5 will be on Purple 1- 39.44R by Santa Ana units (86).
Santa Ana units also cover I-5 from SR-57 to Lake Forest Dr (right near the I-405 junction).
From Lake Forest Dr south to the San Diego County line will be handled by Capistrano (113) on Purple-1 39.36R.
San Diego (Border) Center dispatching Oceanside (92) units patrolling south to the Del Mar exit on Tan-1 39.80R and San Diego units (87) covering from Del Mar/North SD City Limit to T.J. on Orange-1 39.40R

LegendaryAcura88

Premium Subscriber
OK, I've been scanning CHP for a few years now on my trips back and forthe from Ridgecrest to Claremont and down to San Diego, etc. I just have a question about a few areas. First, 850 and 835, Barstow Dispatch, I have programmed as 42.56 and 42.72. For some reason, while I'm driving, I hear some blotter, mainly only the dispatcher, and she comes in clear for asout a second, and then it goes blank ofr a few seconds, and she comes in again, etc. I don't get a solid feed, it's broken up. Also, for Inland, Rancho Cucamonga, Beige 39.88 and 42.08, I hear them clear as day driving North on the 15, thorugh the pass, and all the way up and through Victorville, also driving south on the 57, down past Anaheim, however, when I'm actually around Rancho Cucamonga and their physical patrolling area, it's all very staticy and doesn't come in clear. Does anyone know why this might be? All of the other frequencies I've programmed work great. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

As for the cutting in and out, some here have mentioned that setting your CTCSS to Search mode, rather than actually programming it into the memory, may help that problem.
The 2nd issue may be topography and/or your antenna isn't a real lowband antenna.

SCPD

QRT
OK, I've been scanning CHP for a few years now on my trips back and forthe from Ridgecrest to Claremont and down to San Diego, etc. I just have a question about a few areas. First, 850 and 835, Barstow Dispatch, I have programmed as 42.56 and 42.72. For some reason, while I'm driving, I hear some blotter, mainly only the dispatcher, and she comes in clear for asout a second, and then it goes blank ofr a few seconds, and she comes in again, etc. I don't get a solid feed, it's broken up. Also, for Inland, Rancho Cucamonga, Beige 39.88 and 42.08, I hear them clear as day driving North on the 15, thorugh the pass, and all the way up and through Victorville, also driving south on the 57, down past Anaheim, however, when I'm actually around Rancho Cucamonga and their physical patrolling area, it's all very staticy and doesn't come in clear. Does anyone know why this might be? All of the other frequencies I've programmed work great. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What model scanner to you have? The discussion KB7MIB mentions involved the GRE scanners, specifically the PSR-500 and PSR-600. I have problems leaving the CTCSS frequency on in some parts of the state and not in others in others. I have problems in the Bishop Comm Center on the Gold and in other areas of the state I don't. I would love to be able to leave the tone squelch on where I live near Bishop as without it I've recently been picking up skip from somewhere in the south (yes, the south Y'all).

In reading over this old thread I noticed no one asked the question I'm sure everyone has on their minds. What frequency does the CHP use in Trona? People must be forgetting to ask that question when the time comes and later kick themselves for not remembering. The answer is quite complicated as the nearest city is Ridgecrest in Kern County and the only way to leave Trona and not go back to Ridgecrest while remaining on pavement is to travel north on the Panamint Valley road. Shortly after leaving Trona, Inyo County is entered and this point is closer to Trona than the San Bernardino/Kern County line. Now that the suspense has been properly built, the answer is; drum roll-drum roll-silence-hesitation on the announcer's face-the camera turns to those asking the question where the faces appear to be nervous-a couple more drum roles; the Gold. You see eastern Kern County is where Ridgecrest is located, the largest city in that portion of the county and all of Inyo County is on the Gold. The same area is also in the Bishop District of Caltrans.

Next week we will be covering the two city area of Shoshone-Tecopa and answering the age old question of who, from Caltrans, maintains the southern portion of CA 127 between the outskirts/suburbs of Tecopa and the desert mecca of Baker? Pick a number between 8 and 9 as your first clue.

Later in June, we will cover some other age old questions of jurisdictions in the eastern Sierra. First, who responds to 911 calls in Upper Rock Creek Canyon off of 395 north of Bishop? Second, who responds to 911 and calls for the CHP in Oasis, California? Lastly, who responds to 911, CHP and search and rescues in the upper San Joaquin River canyon near Devil's Postpile National Monument? What CHP frequency and what dispatch center are used for this large area of Madera County?

This is not entirely off topic as the original post did speak to what frequency and what CHP office handles the area north of Mammoth on U.S. 395. If needed I can start another thread.

Last edited:

LegendaryAcura88

Premium Subscriber
I'm running a Radioshack Pro-197, with a Larsen tri-band antenna. I'll try changing the CTCSS settings. I understand it's not a dedicated low band antenna, but every other CHP frequencies I scan work fine. As far as the topography, I don't understand why I would get great reception everywhere but the area where they actually patrol...

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Not being familiar with the area, I wasn't sure if the area has hills and valleys or is relatively flat. That could affect your reception. The height and construction materials of buildings in the area may also have a negative affect on reception.

SCPD

QRT
I'm running a Radioshack Pro-197, with a Larsen tri-band antenna. I'll try changing the CTCSS settings. I understand it's not a dedicated low band antenna, but every other CHP frequencies I scan work fine. As far as the topography, I don't understand why I would get great reception everywhere but the area where they actually patrol...

I use an amplified rooftop antenna with the most frequently used remote base located about 40 miles line of sight from me. I have problems on my PSR-600 in the house, but I also have problems while I'm on the road with another PSR-600. The radio you have is manufactured by GRE and the model PRO-197 is electronically the equal to the PSR-600. As such you have the same observations and possible solutions as PSR-600 owners do.

I'm still trying to figure out and remember where I did not experience the problem. I wish the problem did not exist here. I do remember now that I don't seem to experience the problem in the CHP Southern Division. When I'm down there I listen to the Tan, Brown, Teal and Pink on my way to West L.A. and as needed the Black and White. I don't recall having problems with any of those and I have the CTCSS enabled with specific tones on all of them.

Go figure!

*EDIT*

I didn't think about your location and realize we both listen to the same dispatch center on the same frequency. Most areas of Ridgecrest have a near line of sight with the remote base on Government Peak. If there are any marginal areas they would be down by the college and on the north face of the hills south of there, plus the areas near the east end of town on the Trona International Highway. You listen to Government Peak and I listen to Silver Peak, plus occasionally Crestview and Conway Summit. Silver booms into here, so the signal is not at all marginal. We both experience the same problem. I don't think he problem to be a marginal signal from Government.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Not being familiar with the area, I wasn't sure if the area has hills and valleys or is relatively flat. That could affect your reception. The height and construction materials of buildings in the area may also have a negative affect on reception.

Most of the town is flat with distant mountains to the north and northeast and some hilliness to the south. The west is wide open with the nearest mountains being the southern Sierra Nevada. I've worked a ham repeater on Government Peak with a handheld set at one watt while I'm on foot in town.. I've experienced this in many areas there. Post retirement from my career I had a job that used to take me to Ridgecrest on overnight trips every 6 weeks or so. Since it is much more difficult to key up a repeater than to receive it and in this case the transmissions were at 146-147 MHz I conclude receiving 42 MHz is not a problem.

LegendaryAcura88

Premium Subscriber
I feel I need some clarification on my part based on a lot of the responses. I pick up Inland Gold decently enough in Ridgecrest. It's Inland White, Barstow and Victorville, where I experience the broken dispatch while driving back and forth between Ridgecrest and Rancho. Also, the topography and poor reception I was talking about is further south, Inland Beige, broadcasting through Rancho Cucamonga. In this area I just get poor, static-filled reception, but only in their actual operating area. While driving through Victorville, on the other side of the mountain range north of their patrollinbg area, it comes in clear as day, also south of their AOR, down in Anaheim and Santa Ana, which is also seperated by a small set of hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.