CHP Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

canelure

Hi, I just got a Uniden BC72XLT. Using the RadioReference frequency guide I was able to immediately find the police and fire frequencies for my area, Sunnyvake CA.

However, the listing for frequencies for the California Highway Patrol do not seem to be working. I realize I am most likely missing something basic here. In a nutshell, using the "live feed" link from Radio Reference I hear all kinds of local traffic from the Golden Gate Dispatch. Yet when I scan through the frequencies listed on radio reference for the various division of CHP (42.xx) I get nothing at all from the scanner; even when I can hear nearly constant broadcasts off the PC Live Audio.

I wanted to be able to listen to CHP as I am driving to Las Vegas tonight, and wanted a head-sup for any traffic incidents that might affect me heading down I-5. Can anyone tell me where I am goign wrong here?

Dragon911

Hi, I just got a Uniden BC72XLT. Using the RadioReference frequency guide I was able to immediately find the police and fire frequencies for my area, Sunnyvake CA.

However, the listing for frequencies for the California Highway Patrol do not seem to be working. I realize I am most likely missing something basic here. In a nutshell, using the "live feed" link from Radio Reference I hear all kinds of local traffic from the Golden Gate Dispatch. Yet when I scan through the frequencies listed on radio reference for the various division of CHP (42.xx) I get nothing at all from the scanner; even when I can hear nearly constant broadcasts off the PC Live Audio.

I wanted to be able to listen to CHP as I am driving to Las Vegas tonight, and wanted a head-sup for any traffic incidents that might affect me heading down I-5. Can anyone tell me where I am goign wrong here?

I haven't used a BC72XLT, but most handheld scanners w/o an external antenna are not the greatest for VHF-Lo reception.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com. It is fairly easy to find municipal stuff. The federal and state oriented stuff takes a little more effort.

However, the listing for frequencies for the California Highway Patrol do not seem to be working. I realize I am most likely missing something basic here.
My first thought upon reading your message is that I wonder how many other LOW BAND VHF signals you are receiving. ??? Not too many agencies still use that band. CHP is quite unique. Then there is the issue of mobiles vs base - they are each on different frequencies. And you have to be close to mobiles (or have a very good location and/or setup) to receive them. Read this.

I hope you do not plan to pick up CHP with the stock rubber antenna that came with your scanner. What you have to understand is that low band frequencies are "large" enough to not easily enter most vehicles. So you need an outside antenna to do the job. I just use a magnetic mount and I pick up more than you'd believe.

Safe travels.

dxradio2003

CHP reception

Hi,

You should be receiving 42.50 (RUBY/BASE) for the San Jose/Sunnyvale area. Also try 453.825 (GOLDEN GATE LIMA/8) which rebroadcasts the dispatacher for some of the Bay Area channels.

Also be sure that you have the correct squelch tone (if that radio uses this). The VHF-Lo band is difficult to pick up using the rubber/stock antenna, however, you should be hearing radio traffic.

---dxradio

Status
Not open for further replies.