CHP I-10 frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulka

Does CHP use any specific frequencies for I-10 coming from Az? Do they pretty much patrol the highway or do the local patrol also?

Thanks.

charlieman52

For starters go here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=995 and go down to the Border Division. CHP Indio covers the area from the Arizona Border to Calimesa. CHP Inland covers everything from there to the Pomona area and from there LA takes over.

As far as other agencies go, RSO doesn't "patrol" the highway but they are out and about. The Colorado River,Indio,Palm Desert, and Cabazon stations cover the same area into Calimesa. Also Blythe,Indio,Cat City,Palm Springs,Banning, and Beaumont PD's are in the ame area.

Last edited:

Mick

Calif. Highway Patrol I-10

As you travel West on I-10 from the AZ/CA state line, the CHP uses 42.44 Base/42.28 mobile 162.2 Hz "Red Channel" for the Blythe #6, Indio #76, and San Gorgonio Pass #97 units for approx. 154 miles from the AZ state line. As you continue W/B the CHP's San Bernardino CHP office starts their jurisdiction at County Line Road (very close to the San Bernardino County Line) and they use 39.68R 118.8 Hz. I've attached a map I created showing info all the way to PCH in L.A.

Last edited:

hulka

Thanks for all your help. Something else to listen to while driving, though the last time I was out that way I did not see anyone till I got closer to LA. I passed maybe 5 cars on the whole trip.

kd6ecz

39.680 is actually the repeater that covers the Riverside area. Once you enter San Bernardino County on the 10 freeway, the CHP uses 39.260. Continuing westbound on on the 10, the Rancho Cucamonga office takes over (not sure exactly where) and they use 39.880 all the way to the L.A. County line.

hulka

Thanks for all the help. 1 alst question, are you allowed to have anything attached to your windshield? I recall seeing somewhere that you could not. If so how does everyone attach their radar detectors then?

caffman263

Thanks for all the help. 1 alst question, are you allowed to have anything attached to your windshield? I recall seeing somewhere that you could not. If so how does everyone attach their radar detectors then?

Technically by CA law (as well as Minnesota), you're not allowed to have anything attached to the windshield. I was stopped by CHP and the officer said he could write me for the GPS and Sirius I have mounted but he didn't. Maybe because they're not in my field of vision. I saw a lot of idiots in L.A. who had a GPS mounted right in front of their face :roll: Probably why that's a law in the first place, because people don't have enough common sense to put it somewhere it doesn't obstruct their view. (I don't think I have seen a single instance of that mounting location back here on the East coast, maybe it's that heat.. :lol: ) So to the radar detector question, they put them in the usual place.

//end rant//

I believe it's a secondary offense only, so you'd have to be stopped for something else first. Maybe someone who still lives out there can confirm that. Also don't forget the new hands free law for cell phones, I hear they're focusing on enforcing that 'cause it's new.

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
Technically by CA law (as well as Minnesota), you're not allowed to have anything attached to the windshield.

For anyone curious, this has been amended since this post was made.

a clip from 26708 CVC:

(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated and outside of an airbag deployment zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.