CHP Max Enforcement for Memorial Day Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMSJUNKY

C.H.P. Set For Maximum Enforcement Period
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Bill Johnson
MML News Director

Sonora, CA -- The California Highway Patrol has scheduled Memorial Day weekend as a Maximum Enforcement Period.

With rare exceptions, all available officers will be patroling both Tuolumne and Calaveras Counties. According to Jamestown based Public Information Officer Tom Wills, 14 to 15 officers will working full shifts from Friday morning to Monday evening.

Officer Mike Maddox in Calaveras County expects 14 officers to be on patrol over the weekend.

A commissioner's directive from Sacramento has told all officers that no warnings will be issued this weekend. If a driver is detained, he or she will be ticketed.

The Highway Patrol will be on the lookout for speeders, those who follow too closely, driving under the influence and individuals who are not wearing their seatbelts.

Source: Johnson, Bill. (2006). "C.H.P. Set For Maximum Enforcement Period." My Motherlode. Online Resouce accessed May 25, 2005 from http://mymotherlode.com/News/article/kvml/1148486975

From the looks of it, they will be cracking down state wide this weekend... Just a heads up so we dont get cites this weekend. Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm for all of that EXCEPT one thing... removing discretion from the officer (no warnings will be given, citations only) is bad management. Robots (photo radar) can give tickets, we hire and train cops because they have a brain. Not allowing them to use it really p*sses me off.

Mick

Good afternoon. The CHP has in place policies that allow discretion for the officer. "Should" and "Shall" are part of all enforcement policies and no where is an officer told he "Shall" not give warnings.
Kirk said:
I'm for all of that EXCEPT one thing... removing discretion from the officer (no warnings will be given, citations only) is bad management. Robots (photo radar) can give tickets, we hire and train cops because they have a brain. Not allowing them to use it really p*sses me off.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Mick said:
Good afternoon. The CHP has in place policies that allow discretion for the officer. "Should" and "Shall" are part of all enforcement policies and no where is an officer told he "Shall" not give warnings.

Either my applesauce has fermented, or someone changed the article on the linked page. I'm sure it said no warnings would be given, but it now says "Commissioner Mike Brown's directive from Sacramento has told officers that verbal warnings will be the exception and not the rule this weekend."

I live in an area that is a major tourist destination during holiday weekends, and I welcome the increased patrols and enforcement.

RolnCode3

I've been issued directives that say you "shall" cite everyone contacted for a specific violation. They're out there. They're totally legit. You're making way too much out of it.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
RolnCode3 said:
I've been issued directives that say you "shall" cite everyone contacted for a specific violation. They're out there. They're totally legit. You're making way too much out of it.

Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get me. ;)

Honestly, if you'd seen the wording I think I saw, it was worded as though no warnings would be allowed for anything. If you were detained for any reason, you'd be cited.

Ugh... I'm not a conspiracy therorist, really.

...the rotor wash from the black helicopter seems to have blown my tinfoil hat off! Egads!

Sac916

Kirk said:

Since they are human, there WILL be some that WILL give only warnings.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Seems pretty basic to me:

Not Speeding + Not following too close + Not driving while intoxicated + Wearing your seatbelt = No ticket.

Fine with me if cops write tickets for ALL those who choose NOT to follow the above! Especially on a holiday weekend when tons of people will be on the roads. What's wrong with that?

-AZ

RolnCode3

antfreq said:
Since they are human, there WILL be some that WILL give only warnings.
Correct. Or they just won't detain the person they don't want to cite. Then, they're still following the directive. That's how I do it...it's called "blinders".

EMSJUNKY

Im not trying to get into the writing. Im just passing the message along so that you'll avoid a cite this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.