CHP Officer Radio Final Sign-Off (recording)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Great capture, you can hear the sadness in his voice - must have been hard for him knowing he is really pulling the plug.
While I don't have a capture of it, it reminds me of the morning when highway 166 got washed out by a storm and two CHP officers lost their lives. I was commuting to work that same time and had the scanner on. I vividly recall hearing the trauma in the CHP dispatchers voice calling that unit over and over again, sensing something very serious had happened.:(

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I got to hear the final 0600 radio check for a Westchester County Police platoon lieutenant. Pretty awesome.

ScannerWayne

Sad memories,

Last year I had the scanner on when they buried a PD officer that had been killed while on the job. While I personally didn't know the officer I knew a couple of folks that did. He was well liked by not only other officers but the community he patrolled in.

Listening to the funeral procession I was struck by the saddnes and grief in their voices. Not only the Police Officers, but the Fire Department as well; which had turned out to honor this officer with several displays along the route. I listened with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat as they carried him to his final resting place. I outright cried when they did the "Last Call" and his supervisor came on and announced that he was "10-7 (long pause) Forever.".

As I write this I am softly crying because of the intense memory of this event.

While I knew of these events, I had not heard one on the scanner before. I don't think I will listen to another one. Talk about rip your heart out.

Wayne...

reedeb

I was honored many yrs ago to make the final tone for one of our older firefighters/drivers. As his casket passed the station on our older Mack truck. I blew our horn and made the announcement I had a lump in my throat the whole time. He'd taught me so much [some I still remember to this day. Thanks Howard]

mancow

Database Admin
I've had to stand and listen to the last call from the PA two times in the last two years from two LODDs. If I never hear that again it will be too soon. It's nice to hear this guy made it to retirement and was able to call it out himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.