CHP Programming advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
I plan on creating a talk group for CHP so that when i drive from Merced, to San Francisco, and then to Sacramento,(and possibly even Tahoe) I can just have the ONE Group scanning and I won't have to worry about other channels or interference.

So, What is the best way to make this Trunk tracking with CHP function?

Could anyone help myself compile a list of ALL of the codes I would need for this region of California

Thanks for any help guys :)

Also any suggests of how to organize this all in one group is welcome also, :)

-Adam

kma371

QRT
CHP isn't on a trunked system so "trunk tracking" isn't an option.

Everything you need is in the database for CHP.

Also, we need to know what scanner you have ? :)

CHP isn't on a trunked system so "trunk tracking" isn't an option.

Everything you need is in the database for CHP.

Also, we need to know what scanner you have ? :)

I have a BCT15x, not gps enabled right no though.

For some reason it is set to "alabama" as its current state and i dont now how to change that, so i plan on just making a CHP talkgroup with all the chp codes to run while i drive.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp 101

i plan on just making a CHP talkgroup with all the chp codes to run while i drive.
The term "talkgroup" is a term specifically related to a trunked radio system. Since the CHP does not presently use a trunked radio system, the term does not really apply. What you really mean is group or list.

I have the CHP programmed in my scanners statewide. It clearly takes up a large portion of the programming. It is far more than can be written in detail here. Some of the key points are:
- Don't forget to program the CHP AIRCRAFT frequency
- Don't forget to program the CHP EXTENDER frequency
- I program each frequency with its correspondint CTCSS code
- While there are specific channels for each county, you'll probably want to program in complete division because sometimes when there is an incident, the will temporarily use another channel in that division.
- Don't forget the BLUE channels

The Valley division will handle Sacramento to Tahoe, including San Joaquin county.
You'll need the Central division for Merced.
You'll need Golden Gate division for SF, Alameda, Contra Costa & Solano counties.

I always program in both the CAR and Base frequencies, even though many are now "repeated". The repeat function is not always on, and often I get a better signal directly from the car anyway.

The most important factor is you will want a GREAT antenna. Not just a good antenna, but one that works very well on VHF low band. Don't expect to pick up much if you're just using the little rubber antenna that comes on most scanners.

The term "talkgroup" is a term specifically related to a trunked radio system. Since the CHP does not presently use a trunked radio system, the term does not really apply. What you really mean is group or list.

I have the CHP programmed in my scanners statewide. It clearly takes up a large portion of the programming. It is far more than can be written in detail here. Some of the key points are:
- Don't forget to program the CHP AIRCRAFT frequency
- Don't forget to program the CHP EXTENDER frequency
- I program each frequency with its correspondint CTCSS code
- While there are specific channels for each county, you'll probably want to program in complete division because sometimes when there is an incident, the will temporarily use another channel in that division.
- Don't forget the BLUE channels

The Valley division will handle Sacramento to Tahoe, including San Joaquin county.
You'll need the Central division for Merced.
You'll need Golden Gate division for SF, Alameda, Contra Costa & Solano counties.

I always program in both the CAR and Base frequencies, even though many are now "repeated". The repeat function is not always on, and often I get a better signal directly from the car anyway.

The most important factor is you will want a GREAT antenna. Not just a good antenna, but one that works very well on VHF low band. Don't expect to pick up much if you're just using the little rubber antenna that comes on most scanners.

What antenna would you you suggest them? right now i have a 16" all band antenna.... Im pretty sure its damn low in mhz too.

also you said..
"- Don't forget to program the CHP EXTENDER frequency
- I program each frequency with its correspondent CTCSS code"

how exactly do I program in the CHP extender frequency, is it just as another channel? also, CTCSS code as the alpha tag? or what do you mean by that?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp 101

What antenna would you you suggest them? right now i have a 16" all band antenna.... Im pretty sure its damn low in mhz too.
I have old school thinking when it comes to this and would rather have a longer antenna, rather than one which is shorter and has coils to simulate being longer. The CHP is in the range of 39 to 46 MHz with some of their frequencies in the aircraft band or VHF high band. Certainly an "all band antenna" that includes VHF low will work .. but my interest is being able to pick up cars on their frequency from a distance.

how exactly do I program in the CHP extender frequency
154.905 MHz with no CTCSS or CSQ (constant squelch).

is it just as another channel?
Essentially yes.

CTCSS code as the alpha tag? or what do you mean by that?
CTCSS is the correct generic term for what some radios abbreviate CT and this site calls PL (a trademarked version). Let's say you want to program in Golden Gate Turquoise Base freqency .....
Frequency: 42.600 MHz
CTCSS: 131.8
Alpha tag: "CHP GG TURQ BASE"

I have old school thinking when it comes to this and would rather have a longer antenna, rather than one which is shorter and has coils to simulate being longer. The CHP is in the range of 39 to 46 MHz with some of their frequencies in the aircraft band or VHF high band. Certainly an "all band antenna" that includes VHF low will work .. but my interest is being able to pick up cars on their frequency from a distance.

154.905 MHz with no CTCSS or CSQ (constant squelch).

Essentially yes.

CTCSS is the correct generic term for what some radios abbreviate CT and this site calls PL (a trademarked version). Let's say you want to program in Golden Gate Turquoise Base freqency .....
Frequency: 42.600 MHz
CTCSS: 131.8
Alpha tag: "CHP GG TURQ BASE"

you sir, are amazing,]. What antenna would you suggest then to be ideal for CHP + all band scanning?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Antennas for CHP

It's a catch-22 - an antenna that works well for CHP minght not work well for UHF such as most trunked systems. Antennas that work across a broad spectrum won't be the best for CHP. It's a personal choice of what is of interest to you.

I like being able to remove my antenna - I drive a truck, which already has a high clearance, and that provides me the ability to park in a structure or other low clearance area. And I don't like the window mounts or screw on mounts so I use magnetic mounts. One negative of that is how to route the coax to inside your vehicle, but it works for me.

One mag mount I use was purchased decades ago from Radio Shack - back when they were actually in the radio business. I bought another mag mount (different make and model) from a scanner store going out of business. It's not made any more either. So I don't have a solid recommendation of something presently available. You might post that question in the antenna forum here on RR and/or check out what ScannerMaster is selling.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
i recommend a high band vhf antenna nmo
a typical qtr wave no load 18" antenna will work great for chp - vhf uhf and 800
for chp it will work in the area you are driving
example if you are in sacramento you should hear gold and black and green no problem but you might not hear stockton white -
so if u just need to hear chp in the general area youa re.. 18" hi band will work great

bay area is all simulcast so you should have no problem

valley you will need white - blue 2 - black - gold - green - gray
bay area blue1 - and the rest etc golden gate

i recommend a high band vhf antenna nmo
a typical qtr wave no load 18" antenna will work great for chp - vhf uhf and 800
for chp it will work in the area you are driving
example if you are in sacramento you should hear gold and black and green no problem but you might not hear stockton white -
so if u just need to hear chp in the general area youa re.. 18" hi band will work great

bay area is all simulcast so you should have no problem

valley you will need white - blue 2 - black - gold - green - gray
bay area blue1 - and the rest etc golden gate

Perfect, I've got a solid antenna now. Now the problem I keep having is intermitent cutting in and out..

Sometimes, everything is clear and I can listen to 30seconds of talk with no cut outs....

However some other times, (with the same signal strength) it will cut out every 2 seconds, and then reconnect. , thus leaving me to miss certain words that are sometimes important to what I am scanning...

Furthermore, on CHP channels When I choose a channel... lets say.... Merced Base, I will hear talk, but also sometimes i will hear talk between Merced Base and Merced Mobile

ie) Merced Base: 33 do you copy
Merced Mobile: 10-4 I've got a DL
Merced Base: Go ahead 33
Merced Mobile: Its a CA, Adam frank 345 Geroge etc......
Merced Base: RP is clear
Merced Mobile: Roger that

The only way for myself to hear both sides is to manually turn from Base, then mobile, then base, then mobile. If i hit scan, it will scan all of my chp channels and probably pick something else up, thus not letting me listen to both channels.

Any way to fix this?

-Adam

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
However some other times, (with the same signal strength) it will cut out every 2 seconds, and then reconnect. , thus leaving me to miss certain words that are sometimes important to what I am scanning...
It sounds to me like you have PRIority ON. The priority function interrupts conventional channels but not trunked channels. The interruption is exaggerated when using CT like is essential for CHP.

Furthermore, on CHP channels When I choose a channel... lets say.... Merced Base, I will hear talk, but also sometimes i will hear talk between Merced Base and Merced Mobile
When listening to a base channel, you might hear the dispatcher or you might be picking up "car to car". In some divisions they might have a "repeat" function turned on, and in that case you'll hear mobiles too.

The only way for myself to hear both sides is to manually turn from Base, then mobile, then base, then mobile. If i hit scan, it will scan all of my chp channels and probably pick something else up, thus not letting me listen to both channels.[/QUOTE]Yup that's how duplex works. One thing I've done from time to time is put the mobile freq into my PRI channel, park the scanner on the base channel and activate PRI. If there is a specific channel pair that you know in advance you want to do that with, program just those two frequencies into its own list or bank, then deactivate everything else when you want to just listen to that pair. Options depend somewhat on which scanner you're using.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Perfect, I've got a solid antenna now. Now the problem I keep having is intermitent cutting in and out..

Sometimes, everything is clear and I can listen to 30seconds of talk with no cut outs....

However some other times, (with the same signal strength) it will cut out every 2 seconds, and then reconnect. , thus leaving me to miss certain words that are sometimes important to what I am scanning...Any way to fix this?

-Adam
Do you have the "Extender" frequency (154.905 in most areas) programmed in? You may be listening to the extender of a nearby mobile unit, which drops out momentarily every 2 seconds to allow it to receive the officer if he needs to transmit. Acts much like a "priority" channey.

Or do you actually have "priority" enabled for some channel(s)? That would also cause drop-outs.

A loose antenna connection somewhere (even inside the scanner) would be my only other guess.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I use two antennas coupled together with a "T" connector. One is a 1/4 or 1/2 wave VHF antenna, the other (for monitoring CHP) is a Larsen 6 meter antenna tuned to about 42.5 MHz. It makes all of the difference in the world for listening to low band.

Status
Not open for further replies.