CHP Riverside

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to be in the Palm Springs area and was wondering which CHP division to monitor. I've never been to this area and I'm a bit confused which frequencies to program.From what I can see maybe Indio seems to be the closest? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance,.

scottyhetzel

Chp Indio handles whitewater (hwy62) to desert center...caltrans fueling station there. 97 units handle whitewater west to san b. Co. Line and hemet area. You won't hear Blythe units due to the voter system...

97-302 handles hwy74 to hemet area

76-10 west 10 from whitewater to cook,
76-20 east of cook to 86
76-21 east of cook to 86 and unicorp. Areas like Bermuda dunes and 1000 palms area up hwy74 to vista point..than 97 units handle.
76-86 86 expressway
76-David desk unit
76-Edward special unit
76-S-1/2/3 sgt..
76-301 86 to desert center
76-314 86 to desert center
Border king is the k9
H-60 is the helo blue and white
Air61 air unit...rarely up.
No motor units
UHF freq. has Union Pacific police running plates

Remember to take delay of base and mobile so you can hear both sides...I like to set mobile as priority..that way I can hear units... extender on digital so you will Hanover to be close to hear units...

Interop freq like cleamars 800 freq...are used on pursuits

Last edited:

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Chp Indio handles whitewater (hwy62) to desert center...caltrans fueling station there. 97 units handle whitewater west to san b. Co. Line and hemet area. You won't hear Blythe units due to the voter system...

97-302 handles hwy74 to hemet area

76-10 west 10 from whitewater to cook,
76-20 east of cook to 86
76-21 east of cook to 86 and unicorp. Areas like Bermuda dunes and 1000 palms area up hwy74 to vista point..than 97 units handle.
76-86 86 expressway
76-David desk unit
76-Edward special unit
76-S-1/2/3 sgt..
76-301 86 to desert center
76-314 86 to desert center
Border king is the k9
H-60 is the helo blue and white
Air61 air unit...rarely up.
No motor units
UHF freq. has Union Pacific police running plates

Remember to take delay of base and mobile so you can hear both sides...I like to set mobile as priority..that way I can hear units... extender on digital so you will Hanover to be close to hear units...

Interop freq like cleamars 800 freq...are used on pursuits

Great info! I really appreciate it you taking the time to explain this stuff. Thanks.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Indio CHP is a little tough to listen to in Palm Springs on a portable or base radio unless you have a good antenna especially to hear the mobile units. So just be prepared if you do not hear anything is because you might not have a good antenna placement. When in your car you will need an outside mag mount to hear.

Keep in mind that you will most likely hear the CHP base most of the time if all things line up with your radio equipment. You won't hear the mobile car units unless you are close and you will hear them on the VHF low band and the 700 mhz extender.

I am always in the area on the border of Palm Desert and Indio off of Washington Blvd near Varner road and within about 2 miles of CHP Indio office and still have a tough time hearing them. I have to use an outside Discone antenna to get really good reception.

If you are tryinng to listen to CHP Riverside and Ranch Cuc and CHP Copper you will just need a whip on your scanner. You will hear the base and mobiles all the time since their repeaters are configured a certain way. Once you hit the long desert roads you will mostly just hear the base CHP and that's about it unless you are within transmit range of the mobile cars. CHP is a scientific experiment sometimes. Good Luck

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Allend thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate insight from locals who know. I'm set up at the hotel and monitoring. So far only on Red 42.280 MHz heard.

allend

Premium Subscriber
From what I have figured out is that the desert communities and out reaches of California is that these low band base frequencies that CHP uses is repeated only hearing dispatchers.

From what I can tell is that is you are close enough to hear a CHP vehicle transmit on the input then you will hear the input frequency from the car to your radio. Then you will hear the dispatcher from the local voter repeater that you are close to.

Now if you can't hear the CHP mobile unit but only can hear the dispatcher then you are too far from hearing the car hit the input voter repeater from a far distant.

What I can tell is that once the car hits the voter repeater from a far distance the communication goes either thru internet wide area network connection back to dispatch or its getting relayed to the dispatcher thru microwave links via microwave towers which microwave links can travel point to point for hundreds of miles.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I got word that Temecula CHP will be moving from the BROWN to the RED soon.

Paul

allend

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if the RED will be repeated like the BROWN is. The BROWN CHP Repeater is absolutely amazing from the distance you can hear both base and mobile units. Blows my mind.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that the BROWN repeater is on Santiago. I am pretty sure you would be able to hear it in the San Fernando Valley! Those poor Temecula CHP officers will have to get used to going back to the 90's and only hearing the dispatcher. Then again, when you have pretty much the entire county on one frequency, you might not want to hear plates being run and returns your entire shift.

Paul

PaulNDaOC

why can't you here the Blythe units ? there on the same channel ? different pl tone ?

Indio CHP does not simulcast. I would think only the best antenna system would pick up Blythe directed transmissions in the PS and can't even imagine Hemet or Temecula area.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Like I have mentioned in the past with VHF Low Band in the desert communities like the CHP RED frequency like mentioned above is not simulcast. There are multiple input repeaters in the desert from mobile units that transmit to these input repeaters which is relayed most likely via Microwave towers to dispatcher consoles.

So if Blythe mobile units initiate a Tx on their mobile radios which probably transmit either a 100 to 150 watts of power which is not enough power if you are trying to receive from Palm Springs or Indio. This is why you will hear the CHP dispatchers but not the mobile units. Its like eating cake with getting the frosting.

These dispatch centers are all the same as The RED desert communites that do not simulcast either. So if you are traveling out in these areas which I have before you know if you have CHP mobile units near by. If you hear the mobile input frequencies you are within several miles.

42.44000 KUV545 B 179.9 PL RED BOR B Red - Base - Blythe (06) / Indio (76) / San Gorgonio Pass (97) FM Law Dispatch

42.56000 KMH962 B 118.8 PL WHT INL B White - Base - Barstow (73) / Morongo Basin (106) / Needles (114) / Victorville (12) FM Law Dispatch

42.12000 KMH995 B 118.8 PL GLD INL B Gold - Base - Bishop (72) / Bridgeport (71) / Mojave (59) FM Law Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.