CHP Tan and Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yesterday, there was a silver alert broadcast on the Orange that switched transmitter sites TWICE during the active broadcast...there was no dekey of the broadcast, just went from full signal, to half signal static, then back. It was not being stepped on by channel 2. Weird.

Paul

d119

Yesterday, there was a silver alert broadcast on the Orange that switched transmitter sites TWICE during the active broadcast...there was no dekey of the broadcast, just went from full signal, to half signal static, then back. It was not being stepped on by channel 2. Weird.

Paul

More artifacts of a crap radio system they built. What seems to be happening is that the system is operating in simulcast mode, but something occasionally grabs it and manually steers it.

Makes zero sense to me. I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago.

JUNK JUNK JUNK.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
More artifacts of a crap radio system they built. What seems to be happening is that the system is operating in simulcast mode, but something occasionally grabs it and manually steers it.

Makes zero sense to me. I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago.

JUNK JUNK JUNK.

Are the same people in change of keeping the low band humming along at optimum performance be the same people building out the CRIS system? o_O

Paul

d119

Are the same people in change of keeping the low band humming along at optimum performance be the same people building out the CRIS system? o_O

Paul

That's a big TEN FOUR! Rumor mill says State bought equipment from Motorola and is doing its own installation and optimization work. I DONT KNOW IF THAT'S TRUE OR NOT, but it wouldn't surprise me.

State of CA public safety radio systems are a joke.

CityNewsSupport

City News Support
Premium Subscriber
In the north bay area you have a similar scenario With the 21 Grape Napa County & 22 Turquoise Solano County. A Listener tuned to the Grape or TRQ can hear dispatches to patrol units for both areas but must be tuned to the preferred Frq to hear the patrol units to dispatch! It is also the same with Marin County & Sonoma County. In those counties It is a shared dispatcher thing not a tec issue! Counties Like Contra Costa & Alameda are large enough to have their own dispatchers, so they do not share dispatchers. I learned this info one night in the late 90s while talking to a GGCC Dispatcher on a Solano Area ride along! Not sure if the info has changed? But the Frequency setup is still the same!

CityNewsSupport

City News Support
Premium Subscriber
One other fast point!As a news photographer covering up to 6 Counties I feel the CHP "Radio System" is a major Officer Safety Issue! I have been Tuning into the CHP since 1992 it has never been great, but as of late it seems Dangerous!

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
In the north bay area you have a similar scenario With the 21 Grape Napa County & 22 Turquoise Solano County. A Listener tuned to the Grape or TRQ can hear dispatches to patrol units for both areas but must be tuned to the preferred Frq to hear the patrol units to dispatch! It is also the same with Marin County & Sonoma County. In those counties It is a shared dispatcher thing not a tec issue! Counties Like Contra Costa & Alameda are large enough to have their own dispatchers, so they do not share dispatchers. I learned this info one night in the late 90s while talking to a GGCC Dispatcher on a Solano Area ride along! Not sure if the info has changed? But the Frequency setup is still the same!

It's still like this in most areas. Napa/Solano and Marin/Sonoma are still simulcast with each other, depending on the dispatcher and time of day either partial or full time.

Regards,

-Frank C.

d119

Same deal in Orange County with the green/grey channels.

It's this way because it's a multiselect and not a patch. There may be technical reasons for this (both frequencies are at the same site and a patch would potentially cause interference with the other channel, etc.), or it could be plain old ineptitude.

Luckily Tan-1 and Brown-1 are a "permanent patch", so we get to hear everything everywhere.

Agreed, the CHP radio system is a major officer safety issue. But it's not the fact that it's lowband, it's the fact that it's mickey-mouse from it's inception by the "engineers" in Sacramento. Lots of features (transmitter steering, etc.) that just don't need to be there.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
You should hear that junk radio system in the Truckee area. It has gone down completely, both Gray and Blue, several times, the vote steer is a mess; it changes sites for no reason in mid-sentence. Not all sites are repeated for some unknown reason. Dispatchers and officers call the system their "great radio system" and other nice names.

A new site on Mt. Rose at 10,000 plus feet has never been installed despite the microwave path from the old Truckee office tower (which was insufficient) was the pretext to build a nice new monster tower, at God knows what cost, east of the old tower. The fancy new tower (next to the gillion dollar new Truckee office) was supposed to link Mt. Rose to the microwave system thus solving the link problem.

I guess the state ran out of money for the new Mt. Rose site (which already houses Cal-Fire and other agencies that have microwave paths located at the Norden radio site) because of cost overruns. Perhaps the better idea was to use existing microwave facilities (or at least the same site) at Norden and link Mt. Rose from there - it may have saved some money and got the Mt. Rose site built. Who makes these decisions?

Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.