CHP unit designation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlt

In San Diego (Border Div), the beat numbers do not include the freeway numbers. They start with beat 1 at the border and get higher as they move north or east. (1 starts at the San Ysidro crossing.) They also use area beat numbers for the unincorporated areas that they cover, and the 80-90s are "rural residential" officers in the mountain and desert areas. Border also uses "Nora" for a 2nd motor unit on a beat, and generally unspoken, A, B or C for the shift designator.

Last edited:
OK, couple more.

Victor units - Vehicle theft unit perhaps? Not sure.

Coastal units - Monitoring SLO Ive heard a Coastal 71 and Coastal 61 I believe be in the area, and then switch to Black (King City) when entering their area to the north or Green (Santa Barbara) to the South. What are these units, and who is their boss? LOL.... they cross multiple areas so trying to figure out what they do exactly.

Also the all white commercial enforcement vehicles or the commercial trucks - do they have special designators?

Like what K6CDO Said.

They are mainly here in the Salinas valley going after agriculture trucks that go up and down the valley.

W6KRU

Listened a bit more intently today... heard:

Coastal Tom 1

Coastal David 2

Ideas on a Tom or David designator?

There are a couple of opinions on the David designator in the thread I posted a link to. I didn't notice anything on the Tom designator.

KJ6HCB

Figured Id throw this question here as well... what are the coastal wide frequencies used for as opposed to the local dispatch freqs? In my case, Coastal Blue Wide 42.34 as opposed to SLO 42.56.

I didnt used to monitor Blue but started a while back and today heard some traffic from a unit I somtimes hear on SLO dispatch to respond to a 11-82 locally - nothing stood out to make it different from normal 42.56 SLO dispatch traffic, but it was not being simulcast - I do know that.

norcalbusa

Great Avila photo, too;..I spent many nights drinkin beer and hangin' crab nets off the third pier in the distance! The restaurant/fish market dumped a buncha carcasses and trimmings off the side, and crabbin' was pretty good. Great times..(sigh)

Something about the warmer water from what's behind that hill in the background??? :D

Last edited:

charlielinn

Diablo canyon crabs

yep...some people said that Diablo ( behind the hill ) was really a crab-cookin' outfit. Net 'em, cool 'em, crack 'em and eat 'em. No boiling needed.

Big_Ears

The coastal units patrolling the SR-1 (Hwy-1 coastal) in San Mateo County belong to the Redwood City Office (#91) and are dispatched from the Golden Gate Dispatch Center (Vallejo, CA). They utilize normal beat #'s for their unit #'s which range between #91-05 to #91-10.

PaulNDaOC

Santa fe Springs Office (83) which I've heard is the largest in the state uses both line and area beat unit numbering.

The freeways beats incorporate the hwy number ie: 83-571, 57 frwy line unit., 83-92 91 fwy, etc..

The office has large areas of unicorporated areas divided into five beats, Beat one- West Whiiter/Los Nietos 83-11, covered by 605 units when unstaffed, Beat two- South Whiittier 83-21, 83-21B, 83-22 etc.., Beat 3 & 4 Hacienda Hts 83-31, 83-41, and Beat 5- Rowland Hts. Beat 2 and 3 are usually staffed 24/7.

carlt

The BLUE are used for a lot of things like temp dispatch in case the main freq is having a problem or being fixed, special details, pursuits. It all depends on the area and their needs and capabilities.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I also have a question on unit number. For example local SLO station is Station 28 - heavily focused around the highway 101. An often used unit designator is 28-101. Coincidence with the highway? Maybe, but then there is a 28-404.

Templeton, Station 9 - has a 9-1, 9-2, 9-3, 9-4. Sometimes they have a 9-4B, Boy indicator meaning doubled up I believe with another officer. Sometimes when there is a 9-4, there is a 9-14 - but not any in the middle there, does making the 4 a 14 (or a 3 a 13, etc) have any meaning? Also sometimes there wil be for example a 9-4X - whats the Xray indicator? Not a female officer.

I haven't not listened to SLO CHP in 20+ years but maybe I can hopefully shed some light on it. It may or may not be correct. Some of it is hearsay and some of it is guessing.

SLO units used to have 2 digit identifiers (28-XX) until a new commander decided to have 3 digit identifiers. 28-101 was SLO area all the way down to 28-501 for Nipomo/Five Cities area and numbers in between. This was for the freeways. The 2 digit identifiers(28-20) were changed for area beats like Duster mentioned. 28-404 might be an extra officer for overlapping workweek or shift. I also remember there were 28-101days and 28-101nights that I assume was for day officers still on duty for various reasons while the next shift was also on duty.

Templeton- Might be similar to above. 9-3 is freeways and 9-13 might be area beats. 9-13 might be an extra officer but I would guess that 9-3X is the extra officer. It sounds like it is up to the commander on how to number units.

Status
Not open for further replies.