Christian County and the BCD436HP

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
Really new to all of this after taking a long break from HAM and radios in general. Last I knew Christian County, Ozark and Nixa had switched to DMR but I have not kept up but I have some friends now working in those departments. Will the 436HP pick up their radios and is there anything specific I have to do to get it to work out of the box? I see I will have to purchase DMR access but I didn't know what else I would be missing possibly.
Thank you

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Welcome to the MO RadioReference forum!
Read through the back info and you will find lots of good insight to the current status of scanning ad radio operations.
The '436 will work well with the dominant systems in your area.
This one: Christian County 911 Emergency Services Trunking System, Ozark, MO, Missouri has the Christian County Emergency services,
and this one: Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State has the Springfield, Branson, and many other parts of the state!
Once you get it out of the box, download these two systems and other frequencies from RadioReference.
You might also review the radio info here: Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

tvengr

Well Known Member
Ozark and Nixa had switched to DMR but I have not kept up but I have some friends now working in those departments. Will the 436HP pick up their radios and is there anything specific I have to do to get it to work out of the box?
For the Christian County 911 system, you can purchase the keys for the DMR upgrade at my.uniden.com. That is all you need. Make sure you have the latest firmware in the scanner.

Last edited:

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the replies. I was curios about these different agencies because I have DMR Ham radios but for some reason they have stopped picking up radio traffic. Amazon will deliver tomorrow so hopefully I can get it up and running.

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for so many questions, I am not hearing Springfield PD on my scanner but I can hear radio traffic on my scanner app. I have MOSWIN active but I am not getting anything but Troop D

Thanks again for the help

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Springfield's PD and FD are only carried on the Zone 4 800MHz site. You will not hear them on the various 700MHz or VHF Sites. Verify you have site 4-01 Greene County Simulcast in your list. ALSO since this is a simo site, many scanners will not receive it well due to the simulcast distortion.

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
I am using Sentinel for programming and I see a Zone 1,2,3 but no 4 on the MOSWIN list. Greene Co is on the MOSWIN list I have loaded but I don't hear anything. I'm still trying to figure this out pretty much.

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
I must be doing something wrong because I see my 436 scan Greene County Simulcast but it does not ever actually stop when there is radio traffic. When I "hold" and try to manually set the radio to GCS800 it doesn't show up at all. I'm getting more confused with this thing.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your squelch setting? It should normally be 2. Please attach your favorites list file and I will check it for problems. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to right click on the exported file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped folder.

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
Squelch is set at 2 and I have attached the file. Do I need to do any other upgrades like Provoice or NXDN?

Attachments

• MOSWIN.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 4

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't see anything wrong with the programming. When you are holding on the Greene County Simulcast 800 site, is the scanner stopping on a frequency in the site or does it continue to search for the control channel? Do you see DATA in the scanner display? I suspect you may be experiencing simulcast distortion. If you are using a rooftop antenna, change to the stock antenna. Try turning on the attenuator. Also try walking around your house with the scanner and pointing the antenna in various directions. You can also try removing the antenna and replacing it with a paperclip. Simulcast distortion is very location specific and reception will depend upon your location in relation to the towers.

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
That's the thing, I can't get it to hold on the GCS800. I can hit hold, scroll through but it never shows the Simulcast as an option and I know there was a good minute of traffic on my scanner app but nothing on the actual scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Greene County Simulcast 800 site actually consists of a dozen towers (sub sites) all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals all arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. Anything you can do to decrease the signal level will reduce the number of towers received and may improve control channel decoding. Try taking a ride with your scanner. You will probably find locations where it will work. If you are close to a tower, it can override the out of phase interference from the other towers. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast sites are the SDS100 and SDS200.

Last edited:

JethrowJohnson

That's the thing, I can't get it to hold on the GCS800. I can hit hold, scroll through but it never shows the Simulcast as an option and I know there was a good minute of traffic on my scanner app but nothing on the actual scanner.
Do you have a quick key assigned to GCS800? Maybe you accidentally turned it off?

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
I'm an SDS 100 guy but I think the 436 is similar, you might check the range settings to see if you can recieve. I've tinkered with changing range and can RX over 50 miles!

simpledesign

Premium Subscriber
I have created just a favorites with nothing but the Greene Country 800 Simulcast and still have not gotten this to work. Frustrating to say the least. I know it just has to be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed since it can do simulcast just not the greatest.

Last edited:

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
If you manually tune to the COntrol CHannel of the 800MH site 4-1 like 856.2125 d you hear control buzz?