Chrome Extension for ADSBexchange Flight Tracking page - Click on an N-Number on adsbexchange.com to reveal aircraft ownership based on FAA data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber

Click on an N-Number on adsbexchange.com to reveal aircraft ownership based on FAA data
Instead of copying an aircraft's N Number and searching Google with each one, this Chrome Extension allows you to click on an aircraft's N Number on adsbexchange.com and view the ownership data based on FAA records right there on the same page. This is available for US-based, privately-owned aircraft only and will not work with military or foreign-based aircraft.

Last edited:

jamesgott

Hey yall, this is good UX insight. I'll figure out a way to update the extension package to include some better instructions.

jamesgott

I've got v1.1 coming out soon - it is currently under review from the Chrome team.

The N-Number/Callsign will be a more vivid color to entice new users to click it. Also, I opened up the URL scope to work on more URLs. Even though the function will only fire when clicking a specific css selector, some adsb/tar1090 users run adsb on their own servers, so I've been asked by someone to open it up.

v2.0 is in the works as well (at least in my head). I want to hit an external api to retrieve aircraft images.

jamesgott

Hello again! Today I submitted for review v2.0.0 of the chrome extension. I added MANY more countries to the data set. Before it was just the US/FAA data and now it includes Croatia, Ghana, Malta, Kuwait, Zambia, Malaysia, Nepal, Congo, Burundi, Singapore, Rwanda, Trinidad & Tabago, Switzerland, Indonesia, Australia, UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, Macau, Hong Kong, China, Canada, Germany*, Angola, Fiji, Spain, Ireland, Armenia, Iran, France, Liechtenstein, UK, and many, many more.

v2 does not include any more "features" other than just more data. v3 will be a more feature-rich release. I just need to learn more about coding before I can release what I want to release.

I'm still very open to feedback if you have suggestions on how it can improve. Cheers. Hope you enjoy!

mitbr

Hello again! Today I submitted for review v2.0.0 of the chrome extension. I added MANY more countries to the data set. Before it was just the US/FAA data and now it includes Croatia, Ghana, Malta, Kuwait, Zambia, Malaysia, Nepal, Congo, Burundi, Singapore, Rwanda, Trinidad & Tabago, Switzerland, Indonesia, Australia, UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, Macau, Hong Kong, China, Canada, Germany*, Angola, Fiji, Spain, Ireland, Armenia, Iran, France, Liechtenstein, UK, and many, many more.

v2 does not include any more "features" other than just more data. v3 will be a more feature-rich release. I just need to learn more about coding before I can release what I want to release.

I'm still very open to feedback if you have suggestions on how it can improve. Cheers. Hope you enjoy!
Thanks for this plugin!!! When I click on it it now just says searching used to work a few weeks ago.
Tim :cool:

jamesgott

Thanks for this plugin!!! When I click on it it now just says searching used to work a few weeks ago.

I put the database on AWS in their free tier. Unfortunately there was no warning when I exceeded the limits of the free tier. I quickly refactored the code but 'unpublished' the extension from the Chrome Webstore - that's why you're seeing the "searching..." with no results. I was hoping the extension would be live again by this past Thursday but since it is effectively a 'new' extension in their eyes (since I unpublished and then republished it), it has taken longer than expected. I'll bump this thread when it is live again.

mitbr

I put the database on AWS in their free tier. Unfortunately there was no warning when I exceeded the limits of the free tier. I quickly refactored the code but 'unpublished' the extension from the Chrome Webstore - that's why you're seeing the "searching..." with no results. I was hoping the extension would be live again by this past Thursday but since it is effectively a 'new' extension in their eyes (since I unpublished and then republished it), it has taken longer than expected. I'll bump this thread when it is live again.
Thankyou!!!

jamesgott

If you are running tar1090 on your feeder it works there too!
That's by design - someone asked me to open the permissions so it would work on all urls. This causes the chrome extension approval team to take much longer to approve updates, but clearly it is important for personal feeders to be able to use it.

Can you confirm that the green 'interesting filters' on the right side of the page operate correctly? How about when you apply one of the filters and then press the green/red 'clear interesting' button? Those were a little tricky because since I'm not referencing adsbexchange.com as the url and I don't know the IP of your feeder, etc, this was programatically challenging.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Just installed it, and it is actually better than I expected. Actually I am pretty impressed.
Good job on creating this! Thank you!

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
That's by design - someone asked me to open the permissions so it would work on all urls. This causes the chrome extension approval team to take much longer to approve updates, but clearly it is important for personal feeders to be able to use it.

Can you confirm that the green 'interesting filters' on the right side of the page operate correctly? How about when you apply one of the filters and then press the green/red 'clear interesting' button? Those were a little tricky because since I'm not referencing adsbexchange.com as the url and I don't know the IP of your feeder, etc, this was programatically challenging.

My experience:
On both the adsbexchange website and my personal adsb station here at the house.
My personal station I use rasperrypi and am a feeder to flightaware. I use chrome to view my personal adsb Piaware Skyaware info.

The buttons for the aircraft registration works on both.
However on my personal station here (Piaware Skyaware) when you click on the buttons. The information is a quick flash. It shows the correct info, but it seems like it refresh's and the data quickly disappears. So just think of it as: click, data shows briefly, gone. And have to reclick to view it again. On the adsbexchange website when you click the data it stays on.

The interesting flights (awesome feature I might say!) works great on the adsbexchange website,
but not on the personal adsb station here at the house. I do not see that option on my personal station.

Everything works proper on the website version. Actually dam good I might say!
On personal station, I wish the same options would show on the personal stations.

I honestly was kinda shocked to see it works for my personal adsb station info. I just figured it was strickly for the adsbexchange website.
So that was a pleasant surprise.

Hope the info I provided helps some. I know its not to technical, lol. But kinda wanted to give you an answer from my end, in regards to your question.

Keep up the amazing work!

jamesgott

My experience:
On both the adsbexchange website and my personal adsb station here at the house.
My personal station I use rasperrypi and am a feeder to flightaware. I use chrome to view my personal adsb Piaware Skyaware info.

The buttons for the aircraft registration works on both.
However on my personal station here (Piaware Skyaware) when you click on the buttons. The information is a quick flash. It shows the correct info, but it seems like it refresh's and the data quickly disappears. So just think of it as: click, data shows briefly, gone. And have to reclick to view it again. On the adsbexchange website when you click the data it stays on.

The interesting flights (awesome feature I might say!) works great on the adsbexchange website,
but not on the personal adsb station here at the house. I do not see that option on my personal station.

Everything works proper on the website version. Actually dam good I might say!
On personal station, I wish the same options would show on the personal stations.

I honestly was kinda shocked to see it works for my personal adsb station info. I just figured it was strickly for the adsbexchange website.
So that was a pleasant surprise.

Hope the info I provided helps some. I know its not to technical, lol. But kinda wanted to give you an answer from my end, in regards to your question.

Keep up the amazing work!

This is really great feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to type that out. I want a more seamless experience for folks with their own feeder. I guess this is a great reason to finally get around to setting my own feeder up so I can test locally before deploying. I'll make a note to update you if I can get that accomplished somewhat soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.