• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cigarette Plug for Motorola Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker81

I used to have a Motorola 800 Spectra Radio with a power cable that was run to the battery for power. I also had a Motorola Power Cable that had a cigarette plug which would allow the radio to be more easily transferred between vehicles. It worked great, but I noticed that it didn't have a strong output. I am interested in having this option again for a Motorola Mototrbo. The cord came like that from a previous owner. Anybody using such an option? Thanks.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
No, since most power plugs do not supply enough amprage required for the radio.

I've never seen a "factory" plug as an option...considering that all the manuals made for the last 30 years show it being hard wired to the vehicles battery :)

With that aside, most radios 45 watts or less are typically fused for 15 amps, which is more than most cig lighters or even some power ports will supply. Either way, its just not a good idea. This is also not taking into account what sized wiring is running from the plug to the vehicle interface, or the wiring used on your plug to the radio (hence why you may have had low power output among other possible things).

Motorola said:
Route the red radio power cable from the radio to the vehicle’s battery compartment, using accepted industry methods and standards. Be sure to grommet the firewall hole to protect the cable. Remove the 15-amp (P/N 6580283E06) fuse from the fuseholder and connect the red lead of the radio power cable to the positive battery terminal using the hardware provided as shown in 7. Connect the black lead to a convenient solid chassis ground point. DO NOT connect the black lead directly to the battery’s negative terminal.

A good reference for what you really need can be found here:
Wiring Size Guide

n5ims

Most mobile MotoTRBO radios can pull up to 11 or 14.5 amps (depending on which model), which is well above the rating for the cigarette lighter plugs. There was a low power 800 MHz Spectra mobile that only pulled 9 amps max and might have worked that way (although still over the rated power level for the plug).

MtnBiker81

Cig Plug

Thanks for your input. I guess it is a simple, but misguided solution to make it easy to transfer a radio. So, I will just purchase another power cable and run it from the battery. Thanks for your responses.

kb4mdz

If you have dedicated vehicles you'll be transferring between, get the appropriate power cable and wire one into each vehicle.

If it's to be a 'discrete' installation; ie no telltale outward signs, just route it to between the seats or into the joint between the seat cushion & the back, or some such; tuck it out of the way when not in use. Oh, and put some loom around it so it looks closer to factory.

+1 to anyone else who disses the cigarette lighter plug, for anything more than just a couple of amps; they are prolific only because it's what is handy, not because it has any good sense to the idea. They often don't hold into the sockets well, are easily jostled out, (again) can't carry significant amperage, yadda, yadda, yadda.

theoleman

If you've got the correct size fuse installed for the cig lighter, it'll blow every time you key up the Moto. Increase the fuse capacity and smell the insulation burning.

Follow the mfg's instructions for any 2-way and connect to the car battery.

DieselFF918

If you have dedicated vehicles you'll be transferring between, get the appropriate power cable and wire one into each vehicle.

If it's to be a 'discrete' installation; ie no telltale outward signs, just route it to between the seats or into the joint between the seat cushion & the back, or some such; tuck it out of the way when not in use. Oh, and put some loom around it so it looks closer to factory.

+1 to anyone else who disses the cigarette lighter plug, for anything more than just a couple of amps; they are prolific only because it's what is handy, not because it has any good sense to the idea. They often don't hold into the sockets well, are easily jostled out, (again) can't carry significant amperage, yadda, yadda, yadda.

add my +1 to this. The idea of having a cable in each vehicle is the best option. A good way to do this, would be to source some matched plugs, similar to what Yaesu uses for their power cable on the 1802m. This way you can have an identical set of leads in each vehicle, unplug from one, plug into the other.

That is also an option too, if you can find a non working Yaesu 1802m, the power leads on those units are a decent size and should be fine to source for your radio.

Last edited:

W2NJS

Newer cars often have power outlets rated at 20 Amps, which works fine if your radio needs no more than, say, 18 Amps. 18 Amps X 13.8 volts provides almost 250 watts of power, but if you can do it you're better off with a direct power run to the battery. I've run an Icom 208 that puts out 55 watts of RF on VHF for years in three consecutive Subaru wagons using the rear power outlet with full power out and no noise on receive. Find out the power rating of the outlet and go from there.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Motorola does in fact make factory cigarette lighter power cables, I just purchased one for a project last week. Mine was for a Maxtrac, not sure if they make one for a Spectra.

MtnBiker81

Jake - Do you have a point of contact for questions about cig plug for Mototrbo mobile? Thanks.

MtnBiker81

Cig Plug for Mototrbo XPR 4550

Just wanted to know if it is possible to plug a mobile into cigarette lighter for temp usage....hardwired into primary vehicle. If so, looking for a plug that will connect to another factory power cable. Thanks.

Jongage

Premium Subscriber
If you are just receiving on the radio, you could use the cig lighter attachment as it will not draw a large amount of amps

MtnBiker81

Cig plug options

I have the appropriate motorola power cable but what cig plug will work with the gauge wire of the moto power cable. Will be mostly receive.... If I need to hardwire for transmit, then i will. Don't want to run down battery with hardwire... Any suggestions on retailer/manufacturer for cig plug? Thanks for any information.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

witthoft

Premium Subscriber
Well, I dunno, but it worked in my situation. Fused properly should not create "magic smoke"

My situation was I powered a 25 watt UHF radio in a Kawasaki Mule, worked like a charm.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I have been running a FT-8800 with a cig-plug in the power-port of my F-350 since I got the radio with no problems and no noise. My plug is fused @ 10Amps, not sure what the power-port is fused at, probably 20Amps. Although all my memories are set at the highest mid-power(20W I think) setting, I have zero issues at high power with my un-modified radio, on either Uhf or Vhf with the plug fused @ 10Amps. No smoke, or power cycling at all.

N4KVE

Well, I dunno, but it worked in my situation. Fused properly should not create "magic smoke"

My situation was I powered a 25 watt UHF radio in a Kawasaki Mule, worked like a charm.
A 25 watt UHF radio should draw no more than 8 amps on TX. At least that's what my 25 watt UHF Kenwood draws. However most Spectra's are either 45 or 100 watts, & will draw much more. Should the OP have a Motorcycle Spectra that's factory set to 15 watts output, and draws 6.5 amps, then the liter plug will do, but those radios are very rare. GARY N4KVE

Status
Not open for further replies.