BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Circuit board replacement for GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon.
Hopefully you may be able to help me understand Uniden customer service.

My radio is a BCD436HP- It was built in 2014.
I need to replace the rubber access cover for the data port on the radio.

I sent an E-mail to Uniden about this a few days ago and they sent me back a case number.
I called them back this afternoon to see if they had any news since I had not heard from them.
I reached Mark in customer service and he said he would get back to me.

He did and this is what he said:

As for replacement of the rubber part, we don't have the part for resale so it would have to be sent in for repair for a replacement.
I don't understand, a flat rate repair rate of $89.00 for a rubber part.??
Do they have to open up the radio to do that?

My GPS connector bought the farm last summer. For that price I think that having the
circuit board replaced would be the plan.
Would it then become a 5th generation radio and be given a new serial number?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I think … this is how Uniden handles their support process. Either live without the rubber flap until something more serious happens to your scanner or cough up the $89 for a piece of rubber.

Serial number will be same, but you don’t get to decide how the fix will be done. They may solder a new connector on.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
As for replacement of the rubber part, we don't have the part for resale so it would have to be sent in for repair for a replacement.
I don't understand, a flat rate repair rate of $89.00 for a rubber part.??
Do they have to open up the radio to do that?

Actually, yes it has to be opened to some degree.

If it were me, I would just find another cover. There was another thread recently that cited a source.

And yes, I agree not selling that part does not make sense unless it is because the unit has to be opened up for proper installation.

Found that thread:

BTW, your topic subject says GPS circuit board replacement.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Remember, it is a FLAT RATE repair service. Replace some rubber, replace a USB port - or both, same price.

Frankly, I personally wouldn't go without the GPS working and I'd be packing it and shipping it so Uniden do the repair.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Uniden’s repair/replacement policies are a mixed bag… the flat rate repair is acceptable (if there is actually something not working due to parts failure) but not for replacement of cosmetic items such as a new front panel display window. Trying to get replacement parts is terrible however-they tell you the unit must be sent to their repair dept.

I inquired about an entire case, front and back, including the display window for my BCD436HP. When told of their policy, I complained to their US representative people in Texas and explained I only wanted the parts as spares, to refurbish the appearance of the radio if and when I deemed it necessary or when I sold it. A pristine radio appearance should enhance the resale value. My dealings with their US Corporate office got results, but only after half a dozen emails. Apparently I got them so confused with how to complete the transaction that they just sent me the parts I requested and never charge me… according to the lady I talked to, Uniden had no process for selling parts only and told me to enjoy the offering, no charge! That extra effort worked for me but it seems they have since settled upon a repair only policy at the flat rate… which is to say what worked for me will not work for others.

But there may be another way to skin this cat… do a search for Icom repair stations in the US. You should find two, one on the east coast and one in Michigan. These two repair stations are independent repair facilities that are certified for repair work on Icom radios but also repair other radios. They may have an in with Uniden where they order parts to repair Uniden scanners and would just charge you to purchase and ship the parts to you. I don’t know if they in fact do this for Uniden radios and have no idea what they might charge if they do but it’s worth a shot. Give them a call-nothing to loose.

Thanks everyone.

The reason that I labled the topic GPS circuit board replacement was because the GPS connector is broken.
My logic behind this that for the flat rate charge,they could replace the circuit board fixing the GPS issue,and at the same time replace the dataport cover.In addition by replacing the circuit board, my thoughts are that it takes care of both issues,and would then bring the radio up the current 5th generation.If that was done would that change the serial number?

I dont know if this makes sense or not ,but for them to open up the radio,they might as well replace both parts.

Thanks again

Mike

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Mike, list all the issues and they will fix them all for $89. I don’t think it will change serial number unless they can’t fix the unit and replace it. As far as 5th gen, I’d say it is doubtful.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone.

The reason that I labled the topic GPS circuit board replacement was because the GPS connector is broken.
My logic behind this that for the flat rate charge,they could replace the circuit board fixing the GPS issue,and at the same time replace the dataport cover.In addition by replacing the circuit board, my thoughts are that it takes care of both issues,and would then bring the radio up the current 5th generation.If that was done would that change the serial number?

I dont know if this makes sense or not ,but for them to open up the radio,they might as well replace both parts.

Thanks again

Mike
If they change the logic board to take care of any problems there, they will usually clone the original serial number onto the new board so any of the optional upgrades will still work with the keys given to you when you paid for them.
In some more rare cases, they forgot to clone the original SN and the user had to call with proof of upgrade key purchases for the old serial number and they would reissue new keys for the new serial number.

If you'd already sent yours in for the RTC issue and possibly the backlight issue, chances are you won't get anything new unless your logic board is swapped due to the bad serial port for the GPS. They can replace that port fairly easy though unless it also cracked the PCB when it broke.

freqhopping

I recently got mine back after I sent it in for new keypad and to replace various components that were likely fried. Mine was lacking the port cover. It came back with a new port cover that I never requested to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.