Citizen, the real-time crime alerting app, is growing in big cities using Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
At 8:07 p.m. on Monday evening in San Francisco, a man was spotted shooting a gun at streetlights.

Twenty minutes later, an outdoor trash fire broke out in another part of the city. A few miles south, a KFC employee allegedly assaulted a co-worker with a chair, and then 20 bikers were reportedly involved in a brawl.

It’s a typical hour in the San Francisco Bay Area as seen through Citizen, the real-time crime and fire alerting app that uses a smartphone’s location to share updates about incidents happening nearby.

Citizen, the real-time crime alerting app, is growing in big cities

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Because, as the article states, this company uses scanners, among other things to determine where incidents are occurring and sends alerts to subscribers in a 1/4 mile radius of the incident.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kjl13

QRT
Because, as the article states, this company uses scanners, among other things to determine where incidents are occurring and sends alerts to subscribers in a 1/4 mile radius of the incident.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I did not see that hyperlink above, but like @iMONITOR said, this is just going to draw attention to the scenes. It may make them more aware, but people may unnecessarily show up.

Another reason why departments are going1552614621876.png

I also don't see this article showing any importance in scanners, I only see the importance in encryption.

Kind Regards,
Kyle

kjl13

QRT
iMonitor, I see your point of view. Consider the flip side to your point of view. It also tells me the areas to avoid because of police, fire, or medical activity. It might alert me soon enough to change my route to avoid traffic congestion because of this activity.

I fully see your point, but... traffic should be the least of peoples worries.

TDR-94

You can bet media fixated, attention starved, work place shooters will find importance in using this. My state bans scanners or radios capable of receiving public safety transmissions in a business.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
iMonitor, I see your point of view. Consider the flip side to your point of view. It also tells me the areas to avoid because of police, fire, or medical activity. It might alert me soon enough to change my route to avoid traffic congestion because of this activity.

Don't get me wrong, I totally see your point of view in that regard. In fact back when Michigan only allowed licensed amateur radio operators to have a scanner in their vehicle I was able to obtain a Scanner Radio Permit, signed by the State Police only for the asking, I had to fill out a simple application and stating why I wanted/needed it. My reason? I lived in Detroit at the time, had a wife and two kids and I wanted to be aware of what's happening in my area such as accidents, high speed chases, car jackings, flooded roads, hospital status, large fires, shooters, etc, so I could avoid them. That and having a squeaky clean record got me approved, that easy!

W

W4ZMJ

importance of scanners well in my area its very helpful as long as the fire and ems or hwy patrol don't ever go the big E it has helped me by avoiding areas where accidents are and if there is something major in the area I should stay away from I drive 40 mins to work and have avoided numerous incidents that save me time but on another note keeps me safe one was few weeks ago local PD was chasing a guy later on on a local news outlet said he ran a stop sign why they gave chase but I heard the call and the guy blew right through red light I hadn't heard the call I probably would have gotten hit by the guy I was at the intersection he went right through. Other incidents are when there is a shooting or robbery there looking for a vehicle or person takes local news hours sometimes after the fact when you could have heard about on the scanner but you know when the big E gets talked bout for agencies to stop people from listening it gets negative reviews its about criminals listening there so dumb they don't got time to listen to that sort of stuff plus it takes the good out of honest scanner listeners that do help

Last edited:

SCOTTER

We live behind a small shopping center that my teenage kids at the time would go to get milk if we needed it or something for themselves. On one day before they left I just happen to hear on my scanner that one of the stores was robbed and they thought the robber was hiding behind the stores. Sure enough they found the man behind a dumpster with a gun that he used in the robbery. Good thing I stopped them that day thanks to my scanner. That shows the importance of a scanner. Kind Regards, COMMON SENSE

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Fewer people in government believe in the existence of law-abiding citizens nowadays.

Unfortunately you're right! Same as doctors and hospitals don't believe you when you tell them you do not smoke, drink or take drugs...until they check.

I can't blame them but there really are straight people left on our planet that do the right thing, just not a lot of them!

wtp

while working at a gas station in elmwood park NJ. i heard a description of an escapee n my scanner.
it did sound odd, a guy in a green sport coat and long brown corduroy pants.
now new jersey is hot in august so he would stand out.
he did, he was walking down the middle of the street next to me, as they are still describing him on the radio.
yes, i called it in , and yes they got him.
there were more things , but this is a good one.

kjl13

QRT
while working at a gas station in elmwood park NJ. i heard a description of an escapee n my scanner.
it did sound odd, a guy in a green sport coat and long brown corduroy pants.
now new jersey is hot in august so he would stand out.
he did, he was walking down the middle of the street next to me, as they are still describing him on the radio.
yes, i called it in , and yes they got him.
there were more things , but this is a good one.

Again, to reiterate. I am in the middle with scanning, I see the pros and I see the cons.

With the biggest cons being people going to scenes.
And another big one being criminals using them.

And the bad that comes with people listening is what worries law enforcement agencies.

radio3353

Just what all EMS/PD/ FD's want...said absolutely no one.

I would agree with you, but I would probably get an inf
Unfortunately you're right! Same as doctors and hospitals don't believe you when you tell them you do not smoke, drink or take drugs...until they check.

I can't blame them but there really are straight people left on our planet that do the right thing, just not a lot of them!

The phrase 'trust, but verify' will serve you well in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.