Citizen, the real-time crime alerting app, is growing in big cities using Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Nice article on CNN

Now, Citizen is adding features to allow people to see if their friends or family are nearby an alerted emergency, such as a building fire, for example. They'll be able to see which of their friends were sent an alert and check in with them, or can rest easier if no friends are nearby. Citizen is also adding a direct messaging feature so people can contact friends through the app.

According to CEO and founder Andrew Frame, the networking capabilities are "a natural evolution for us to transition to a network product where you're connected not only to the incidents and crimes around you but also to your friends and family."

It serves a similar purpose as Facebook's Safety Check feature, which encourages people to let their family and friends know if they're safe in the event of major incidents like a mass shooting, a building collapse, or a hurricane. Citizen's evolution with these features comes at a time when some of these events seem to be happening with greater regularity.

phallout2000

And i'm sure the app will need access to the camera & mic functions, the ability to make calls, and system level access to download updates to itself...as well as full access to your contacts.
Anyone you wouldn't want having that info already does. They sold you the phone, oversee your network and don't report it, it's just there. If you own a smart phone, you're already done. Think about this, how does Alexa, siri or Google know when you say their name? They've been listening, looking, tracking you send your purchases and interactions for a long time.
When the whole harmless meta-data argument unfolded, it was too late.
Consider this, what made HD TV better than standard? More pixels right?
Same with data points. Then they sell the info to the highest bidders, and the advertisers take over....

a417

U+0000
how does Alexa, siri or Google know when you say their name? They've been listening, looking, tracking you send your purchases and interactions for a long time.
Been disabling that stuff since before it was cool, thanks.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Local Crime App Citizen Becomes a Key Tool During Protests

Millions of Americans have used social media to understand and communicate about the killing of George Floyd. But for many of those tracking protests, the go-to online tool hasn’t been Twitter or Facebook but Citizen, an upstart smartphone app.

In the past week, about 620,000 first-time users in the U.S. downloaded Citizen on Apple Inc.’s App Store and Google Play, according to analytics firm Sensor Tower. The app, which uses police-scanner communication and on-the-ground reports, notifies users of what’s happening near them, from demonstrations to police movements to emergencies.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/local-crime-app-citizen-becomes-a-key-tool-during-protests-11591545600

or

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...ecomes-a-key-tool-during-protests-11591545600

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am thinking of changing my name and having all my personal information changed.

First name : NULL
Middle name : NULL
Last name : NULL

Address: NULL
City: NULL
State : NULL
Zip: NULL

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I am thinking of changing my name and having all my personal information changed.

i agree,im the new mr john doe,i live at home,my phone number is ring ring,my email is lectrified mail
I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN thats all be needed tto know
Done had it out wwith census taker
She asked how many live here? I replied 2
She kept asking questions n id say just 2 live here n thats all you askedd for.
Then she poped the grand finally questions ,whats your race? Whats your.i cut her off n said woh gettin racist ,turned n went back in my house.
She stood outdorrs couple minutes theen left

belvdr

No longer interested in living

I read a story about a guy who had his license plate changed to “NULL”. He ended up with tickets all over the state because of an error in the database counted the string “NULL” as being equal to NULL. It took him awhile to get it all cleared up but cost him some money.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
i agree,im the new mr john doe,i live at home,my phone number is ring ring,my email is lectrified mail
I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN thats all be needed tto know
Done had it out wwith census taker
She asked how many live here? I replied 2
She kept asking questions n id say just 2 live here n thats all you askedd for.
Then she poped the grand finally questions ,whats your race? Whats your.i cut her off n said woh gettin racist ,turned n went back in my house.
She stood outdorrs couple minutes theen left
Asking someone their race for the census is racist? That’s a bit far fetched. The census is more than just how many people live at an address.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
Asking someone their race for the census is racist? That’s a bit far fetched. The census is more than just how many people live at an address.
i see it that way,im an american citizen ,race should be dropped.she had more questions asking more details that were not necessary too .
As for a persons color of skin it isnt important but collect race then profile them in groups .

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Census data is the main way that public schools get more cash as well as the representation in DC is set up. And that is just bare bones of what they use it for. Just like your SSN that "Is Not For Use As An Form Of Identification" is pretty much your only form of identification to get any other identification and to verify any other forms you have. Welcome to TWTA.

My mom told me a census taker came to our neighbor's home back in the 50s. The census taker was no mental giant and after noticing the couple's accent asked them where they were from.
When they said England she asked how long they had been in America.
When they said just a few months the girl said "you certainly picked up our language very fast.'

Yes, she was a Hoosier.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Citizen will now tell you why helicopters are flying overhead
The helicopter tracker is coming
February 26, 2021
Citizen, the app that turns everyone into a crime reporter, now wants to track helicopters. The company announced today that it’s introducing helicopter tracking to the app, which will explain to users why there are flying vehicles overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.