City of Calgary Amateur Repeater updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
In reviewing the list of amateur repeaters for Calgary and comparing with repeaterbook.com, I notice some discrepancies. In general, I have found repeaterbook.com to be fairly accurate. However, since RR data base can be downloaded to scanners, I feel that this list should be as accurate as possible as well. So before I or someone else submits some changes to the database, I just want to confirm or have others clarify if the repeaters are still used or if there are new repeaters not listed on RR or repeaterbook.com.
So, to start, the repeaters I see listed on RR that I have not heard being on air and/or not listed in repeaterbook.com are:
These may not be active in Calgary:
146.49 VE6RNM
146.895 VE6SQU [whom I believe does post on RR]. Not sure if this was a repeater but had IRLP 1537. I could not see Node 1537 listed on irlp.net. This could be temporarily off air so would require confirmation].
147.09; 444.95; 1287.975 voice; 1253.000 data VE6GHZ DSTAR I believe is now in Airdrie and not located in Calgary.

These are listed as being active in Calgary and tones are more important for input as some repeaters do not transmit tones. :
53.03- 110.9 Tone input VE6RYC
145.15- 110.9 Tone ? inputVE6ARA
145.23- 110.9 Tone input VE6ZV
145.39- 103.5 Tone ? input VA6EVM
146.64- 110.9 Tone input VE6NQ [this is a portable repeater that can be used within and outside Calgary for public service events]
146.685- VE6CID north area of Calgary
146.73- VE6MX & 146.76- 110.9 Tone input VE6NOV have been off air I believe for testing.
147.135+ 110.9 Tone in and out VA6GER
147.18+ VE6REC [NOTE: repeaterbook and CARA website do not show any Tones on this repeater].
147.21+ 110.9 Tone input VE6RPC
147.27+ 110.9 Tone input VE6RY
147.39+ 100 Tone in and out VE6WRT [although listed for Hailstone Butte SW of Calgary, it is also operational in Calgary].
442.2000+ 131.8 Tone in and out VE6WRN [FM and FUSION]
442.900+ 114.9 Tone in and out VE6OIL
443.15+ VE6NZ nothing has been heard on this for some time.
443.4875+ VE6JAM
444.200 + 110.9 Tone input VE6NOV
444.675 VE6FIL [this is Fusion Digital only]
927.0500- 131.8 Tone input for sure VA6TRE

That is what I can determine as of today. If others have information, please share so we can get the amateur radio database more up to date on RR.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Perhaps RR could partner with repeater book to eliminate discrepancies with the 2 sources. Having one source that feeds into RRDB, specifically for amateur repeaters, would simplify things.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

smason

Can confirm very recent activity on VA6TWO 927.0125 -25 tones 131.8 TX 151.4 RX
And VE6KQ 444.750 can't confirm tones at the moment.

VE6E0

I can confirm VE6GHZ is indeed located in the west side of Airdrie.

Greg

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps RR could partner with repeater book to eliminate discrepancies with the 2 sources. Having one source that feeds into RRDB, specifically for amateur repeaters, would simplify things.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I would agree with this, but until it happens I would like to see RR data base as accurate as possible. Scanner users and amateur radio operates coming through should have the data base as up to date as possible. My recent trip to BC was frustrating to try and confirm frequencies. RepeaterBook is vey good but can't be down loaded to scanners (at least I'd don't think it can in most cases).

smason

Just for grins I have my PSR-600 scanning my HAM scanlist.
Just heard someone on VE6RYC 224.850 Can't say I've EVER heard anything on 220 since I started scanning in the 70's.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just for grins I have my PSR-600 scanning my HAM scanlist.
Just heard someone on VE6RYC 224.850 Can't say I've EVER heard anything on 220 since I started scanning in the 70's.

About 2 years ago, there was increased interest in 220 when some in the City bought 220 HTs and mobiles and started using that band. One ham south of Calgary could get back to the city via the Wild Rose linked repeaters. That kind of died about a year ago. There are a couple that occasionally get on the 85 machine. And one can hear some discussions on 224.94 when the link is working. Occasional it will lock up and then I have to lock it out. 224.94 is located on Hailstone Butte but I can pick it up in the city.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I would agree with this, but until it happens I would like to see RR data base as accurate as possible. Scanner users and amateur radio operates coming through should have the data base as up to date as possible. My recent trip to BC was frustrating to try and confirm frequencies. RepeaterBook is very good but can't be down loaded to scanners (at least I'd don't think it can in most cases).

You can download a CSV file, and with that be able to re-format it and load it into scanner programming software. Alternately, one could also download from repeaterbook and program by hand...

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
You can download a CSV file, and with that be able to re-format it and load it into scanner programming software. Alternately, one could also download from repeaterbook and program by hand...

RT systems programs can pull from RR and RB through the software

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
RT systems programs can pull from RR and RB through the software

But if RR is not accurate, that to me is a problem. And if programming a scanner I would be using RR so want it to be as accurate as possible. Another example is some of the Wildrose Repeaters are in Kananaskis country but listed in Longview [granted is not a long way from Hailstone Butte].

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
The only way they get fixed in RR is if you submit the info. Or get the repeater owners to submit the info to both sites

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Why use a scanner site to pull amatuer radio data? Why not use RepeaterBook? And merge the data with your scanner data from RR?

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I understand where he is coming from, if he is engaging the "HAM" tag on the scanner and pulling the RRDB updates weekly then you want it to be valid.

I made the assumption that he was programming a transceiver from the RRDB and not a scanner. But at the end of the day, if someone is putting in the time to make sure the info in a scanner is correct, then why not make sure the RRDB is current so it benefits everyone and not just one person's scanner, that's my question.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I understand where he is coming from, if he is engaging the "HAM" tag on the scanner and pulling the RRDB updates weekly then you want it to be valid.

I made the assumption that he was programming a transceiver from the RRDB and not a scanner. But at the end of the day, if someone is putting in the time to make sure the info in a scanner is correct, then why not make sure the RRDB is current so it benefits everyone and not just one person's scanner, that's my question.

That is correct for a scanner. And I though anyone wanting to visit this area, might be pulling the information from RRDB so why not make it as accurate as possible. I have enough lists for amateur radios so don't really need any more there. Just when I look at the RRDB, Repeaterbook, and what I have, there are differences. I would be willing to at least summit update for Calgary first.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
The original request was to confirm some of the questionable repeaters. As someone has submitted bogus frequencies, I wanted to at least try and confirm with others on here.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
There has been updates made to Repeaterbook.com especially for the other thread on Redwood Meadows repeaters. However for the Calgary area repeaters listed in RR there are still some discrepancies. SInce I botched the Redwood Meadows/Bragg Creek repeaters I will only comment on Calgary repeaters that I still find a difference. And I had submitted but not all updated. If Thundermedic wants to confirm and submit, go for it.
145.15 -ve T 110.9 VE6ARA is active/confirmed,
145.29 -ve VA6CTV is not shown but is located on CTV tower and is one of the most used repeaters in Calgary.
146.76 -ve T 110.9 VE6NOV is active in the SW at least. It is mentioned on CARA website that this was recently changed to a Yaesu DR-1X. I have not heard anyone on this repeater but when I send my call out on Analog and Fusion there is response from the repeater.
442.90 +ve T in and out 114.8 VE6OIL
444.75 +ve CSQ VE6KQ has echolink VA6RP-R 287151 Calgary
444.675 +ve VE6FIL This was reported as Digital but is also Analog. This repeater was hung up on transmit for a couple of days which I reported to FARs. This was in Analog mode. If someone knows for sure if both modes [was Fusion a couple of months ago] would appreciate. But today it is Analog.

Again, any other input to confirm or otherwise would be appreciated.

NLHeavyMetal

Here's a bit of a wider question....how does one update these repeaters and get the frequency coordinators for Alberta involved?

For example: I have long known that repeater VE6NZ, 443.15Mhz is gone. (Why the coordinators haven't requested the frequency back for re-issuance is beyond me). Previously, I couldn't prove it. But as of this afternoon I noticed an ad on calgary.kijiji.ca (listed by VE6CMM, who was buddies with VE6NZ) for repeaters for sale, and one of them is (surprise-surprise) set for the frequency of 443.15Mhz.

Here is another one: the repeater VE6DDC is also not existent....the repeater sponsor was VE6FH (David Clarke) who moved to BC 17+ years ago. The VE6FH and VE6DDC callsigns have long since been re-issued to other people.

It really is annoying that we have all of these frequency resources being consumed either intentionally or otherwise by HAMS who neglect (or refuse) to inform anyone from frequency coordination....and thereby deny/deprive anyone else the ability to use the frequency pair for other purposes.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Here's a bit of a wider question....how does one update these repeaters and get the frequency coordinators for Alberta involved?

For example: I have long known that repeater VE6NZ, 443.15Mhz is gone. (Why the coordinators haven't requested the frequency back for re-issuance is beyond me). Previously, I couldn't prove it. But as of this afternoon I noticed an ad on calgary.kijiji.ca (listed by VE6CMM, who was buddies with VE6NZ) for repeaters for sale, and one of them is (surprise-surprise) set for the frequency of 443.15Mhz.

Here is another one: the repeater VE6DDC is also not existent....the repeater sponsor was VE6FH (David Clarke) who moved to BC 17+ years ago. The VE6FH and VE6DDC callsigns have long since been re-issued to other people.

It really is annoying that we have all of these frequency resources being consumed either intentionally or otherwise by HAMS who neglect (or refuse) to inform anyone from frequency coordination....and thereby deny/deprive anyone else the ability to use the frequency pair for other purposes.

Exactly why I would like to see these updated on RR at least. I know this is a chronic problem and would hope that those in the know would come forward and update. At least I see some have been updated on repeaterbook.com. I will attempt to clarify VE6FIL as to whether it is still Fusion only, Fusion and analog, or analog only. One of the executive of FARS was talking this afternoon but did not expand on what FIL is currently. I know they are working on upgrading some repeaters, the one at Black Diamond hospital that has a problem at the present time.

I know in the past that the frequency coordinator can't do much if the people that hold the frequency in the first place do not notify him.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I know in the past that the frequency coordinator can't do much if the people that hold the frequency in the first place do not notify him.

Coordination in Alberta is handled by two hams.

These two hams refuse to publish a coordination list, making it difficult to find frequencies for new repeaters. A couple locals were looking for a pair north of Edmonton. When one was suggested to them, they replied that the pair was held by a guy whom had moved and never put a repeater on air. Ever.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.