City of Calgary Works & Water Freqs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo2014

Does the DB have frequencies for the City of Calgary's Works & Water services,I attempted to search the DB without success.I seen Rockyview County but not the City of Calgary. Any info will be appreciated !! Thxs !

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Either they use cell phones, or use MiKE radios (Calgary Transit) also uses MiKE. If not either of them possibly CDR... But there are very active members here that would have likely submitted that info so I'm inclined to say they are not on CDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I honestly don't know how they communicate. The only utility on Calgary Digital Radio is ENMAX. Like kayn1n32008 says, it's either that they're on TELUS iDEN along with Calgary Transit, or they're just using phones. They vanished when the Calgary EDACS system went away, ages ago.

SCPD

QRT
Have you seen many places that have gone MiKE / cell? Also in the future I think you (Jay911) said Calgary will mostly move to the new 700mhz system. However I think at this point that there will always people sharing there cellphone numbers over the air to have more private conversations.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I can't say for sure (and not publicly) who is going to be on the provincewide system or not. What I can say is that my own fire department (Redwood Meadows Emergency Services) will have some kind of presence on the system, but how much will depend on the quality of coverage our response area gets.

I also don't know what agencies or entities are on iDEN, since iDEN isn't monitorable.

As for "sharing cellphone numbers", taking communications off the monitorable networks is always a good idea if privacy is required. However, there are some places even today even close to major cities where cellular communications is not possible.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Especially if you're unlucky enough to have Rogers as your service provider!!

Tell me about it. I actually dumped Rogers several years ago not because of poor coverage here, but in Newfoundland. I work as comms support for the Targa Newfoundland road rally (almost) every year (didn't get to go this year due to other commitments), and if you have a Rogers phone, you are in dark territory pretty much as soon as you cross the Outer Ring Road in St John's. There's one Rogers tower in a town called Clarenville, a few hundred km up the coast, but other than that, you may as well make smoke signals.

Bell Aliant has a cooperative deal with TELUS so that your phone works on their network there, and ever since I switched to TELUS, it's been hard to find a bad spot on the island.

Here, TELUS has very fine coverage where I am, although there are two bad spots - one in Redwood Meadows, where the closest towers are shielded by ridges and hills (though they're working on plans for a tower at our firehall, to rectify that), and another area that is poor is west of Bragg Creek, again, due to topography. Comms in Kananaskis are getting better; last year I had coverage in Station Flats, west of Allen Bill Pond, which I never used to get before. You can also get coverage in McLean almost all the way into the campground.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Especially if you're unlucky enough to have Rogers as your service provider!!

99.999% of the time I would agree. Except last week in Conklin... Telus went down, and my options were sat phone... And... Rogers! Only way to call my office was to borrow a Rogers phone to let them know I was headed home.

My company is on Bell for phones and Telus for our iPads. Regardless it's all telus infrastructure for 3G and LTE out here anyways.

beeperboy

I have no Rogers cell coverage in my house in NW Calgary, for gawd sakes. I either have to run outside, or run upstairs to the second floor to answer a call. That is, if the call hasn't already gone to voicemail.

I once drove for over 2.5 hours, north of Med Hat with no Rogers service. It's easy to sell a cut rate service, when you only cover major corridors.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have no Rogers cell coverage in my house in NW Calgary, for gawd sakes. I either have to run outside, or run upstairs to the second floor to answer a call. That is, if the call hasn't already gone to voicemail.

I once drove for over 2.5 hours, north of Med Hat with no Rogers service. It's easy to sell a cut rate service, when you only cover major corridors.

I would not call it cut rate... My fiancé just got an iPhone 6 and she is now paying $20 more for less data and features...

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Darn, should have paid more attention to the interior of the trucks that were helping people unload their tree branches the past couple of weeks. I never really listened to them to much when the were on EDACs. Did listen to Transit, until they went with iDEN. Never see city workers with portable radios and mics lately, nor for that matter even having cell phones on their vests/belts. But again, did not look inside the vehicles when I had a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.