City of Denton P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
FYI - The City of Denton has switched to digital P25 as of yesterday or today. The control channel right now is 858.3125 and this should be a new site that is part of the Denton County P25 system. That frequency is from the analog system and has been moved to the new digital system likely with several of their other old frequencies. I have already heard Denton FD on TG 5055 and I also am hearing Denton PD on 5003. So far it's all not encrypted. I am trying to search what I can and compare it to the RR database but I do know there will need to be a new site added. The Talkgroups may or may not be correct.

Anyway, I don't have much ability for logging so if someone has the ability to run trunker and figure all of this out quicker I just wanted to give a heads up. I will try to see what I can log and figure out in my spare time today which is very limited. Lol

Brandon

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
As soon as I typed this I realized that I have ProScan hooked up to this scanner and it has logging functionality. So I'm going to leave it running and recording today and see what I can log today. Hopefully I'll have info to add to the database later this evening.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Barely getting a signal on Unitrunker, down here in NRH. But it's logging. I'll leave it up and see what I get.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I was sitting here in North Frisco (2 miles South of 380 on Preston Road), and dialed it up - was getting 5 bars on the SDS100 using a mag mount antenna in my 3rd floor apartment. Looks like the RR team was on their toes, as Site 3 has already been added along with the frequencies that I was able to identify in use with DMBFireman's reported control channel.

Looks like someone already knew the mapping of many of the talk groups as well, since they were already loaded into the Denton County P25 system.

Just wish it was going to be that easy when the Collin County P25 system goes online later this year.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
Checked my log after running it for a long time this afternoon. All of the TGs that were already in the database are correct. Someone has already added the new site in there as well. I just updated my radios with the new programming. I did find a few talkgroups that are not in the database yet but they're not really of interest to me...

5143 - Denton Animal Control
5144 - Denton Animal Shelter
6073 and 6079 - Denton Radio Shop / Radio Techs

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
More like 2 years late isnt it?
Yeah, I just got back into listening recently (since the pandemic moved me back to work from home that I hadn't been doing since 2016) and when I saw the licenses for the 700MHz net I went to the county commissioner's court records and found the contract with M was in 2016, with a planned go-live of 2018. Several change orders later, and the current target is August 30, 2020. As I type this, I can see an open carrier on one of the frequencies, presumably the control channel, but there's no controller broadcasting yet (and possibly also no microwave links to each of the 9 simulcast sites yet).

Needless to say, knowing it was going to be a Phase II system, I was going to have to upgrade if I wanted to listen (my 396 and 996 are Phase I only and work ok for Frisco - at least until they decide to move to Phase II audio), and I splurged on the SDS100 and SDS200, adding the DMR and NXDN options to both as well. Now I'm finding all sorts of systems that weren't in the RR database, or have errors.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
I know this may make some frown, but for the time being, can we refrain from starting a stream for denton? everything is still mildly in the clear, and i fear streaming may ruin all the fun, plus with the current political issues we are having on our country/state it's probably safer to keep thing on the down low for a while.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Based on Michael’s observation(Thank You!), attached is a conversion of the analog talkgroups to P25 as a cheat sheet. There may be mistakes or things that don’t follow the pattern. Like 5144 doesn’t seem correct, since most of the talkgroups seem to odds, not evens.

Happy Scanning,

Ben

Attachments

• DentonCityAnalagToP25Talkgroups.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 24

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Based on Michael’s observation(Thank You!), attached is a conversion of the analog talkgroups to P25 as a cheat sheet. There may be mistakes or things that don’t follow the pattern. Like 5144 doesn’t seem correct, since most of the talkgroups seem to odds, not evens.

Happy Scanning,

Ben
Ben.

I wonder if that oddball, 5144, is a "backup" TGID for 5143. That's been a pattern on FWRRS, where FWPD has odd number talkgroups on Layer 1, with backup ID.s, even numbers. listed for Layer 2.

Is 5144 showing up on the Denton (City) site, or on the County's site?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
DMBFireman described 5144 as Animal Shelter use, which I confirmed after playing back discovery mode finds from the city site. It was probably a change order after they had laid out the existing channels.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
DMBFireman described 5144 as Animal Shelter use, which I confirmed after playing back discovery mode finds from the city site. It was probably a change order after they had laid out the existing channels.
Thanks for confirming that.

Unfortunately, I'm too far out to hear the Denton system from home. Only time I get reception is when visiting a friend in Grapevine.

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I'm receiving it fairly well with the Unications in a 2nd story apartment in NW Bedford. The Uniden BCH536HP is pulling it in with a yagi. However, at work, just a couple miles away, I can't hear it at all, at least not inside.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I have always found the footprint of this system to be odd. I can sometimes pick it up driving around in Hurst, sometimes not at all. I can sometimes pick it up at home when I connect the Unication to my attic antenna, sometimes not. But the most odd place I have picked it up is down in Grandview in Johnson County, 75+ miles away a few months back.

Also, what sites is Denton City traffic being carried on? Just the new site, or all sites?

Stephen

Hopefully someone else can confirm this, though it appears only City talkgroups are on the City site and I guess County are on the county site?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully someone else can confirm this, though it appears only City talkgroups are on the City site and I guess County are on the county site?
Yes, City of Denton stuff is on the city of Denton site, County on County, Lewisville on Lewisville. I have heard some Lewisville talkgroups on county occasionally, which probably is when someone is roaming.
I imagine the IO channels would be across all sites, but I have not monitored them all enough to know that with certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.