City of Poughkeepsie Police and MRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
City of Poughkeepsie and MRD (155.370)

Thought I'd share something interesting I just heard.

at around 2:00 PM 12/26/11 I heard a State Police K9 Hailing for a City of Poughkeepsie Police unit on Mill st. City of Poughkeepsie Police HQ answered the K9 unit and told them to stand by and that they will be patched into the Patrol channel. HQ patched MRD (155.370) with their EDACS Talk Group 01-081 (Patrol 1) and the SP K9 made contact with the units on seen at an incident that they requested a K9 for. via MRD linked into the City's Patrol 1 talkgroup. The LID that came across when the SP K9 was talking on MRD to edacs was 880. LID 880 is the Patrol 1 radio in the console which confirms that the link was made via console it self.

nozzlenut83

IBM Poughkeepsie does this as the norm on their EDACS system. The E/C talkgroup is always (at least it's supposed to be) patched to the IBM-450 Talkgroup which is linked to 462.3250 (PL127.3). This way all E/C traffic is transmitted on UHF for AFD to cross monitor.

The IBM SCC (Security Control Center) operator can patch any of the DC 911 fire frequencies (Dispatch, Response, Command, FG 5-14, Field Ops, MED 9) and AFD EMS 43/44, AFD FG 47/48 to any of the EDACS talkgroups too.

They have in the past patched AFD FG48 into the EDACS Haz-Mat TG so management, Industrial Waste and others on the Haz-Mat team without the AFD FG 48 Link TG could all communicate. This used to occur fairly frequently during the July 4th Site Shutdown for maintenance which frequently created a lot of fire alarms, sprinkler activations, and spills.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
What are they going to do when they go 900 mhz MOTOTRBO? That's going to be interesting.LOL

I'm pretty sure they could add in a cross link. NYCOMCO is currently doing that right now with Dutchess County Highway. All the Trbo stuff is also linked in with the VHF analog freq.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yea, I know they can do that, I got in trouble for doing it one night to show and officer it was possible.

Ha, that makes two of us. When we used to poll calls at Orange County 911, we would simulcast all the EDACS 800 towers on the CO 911 talkgroup (Beacon, Arden and Graham back then) with the closest VHF Polling channel (Beacon or Graham). Units would answer up on either or, but couldn't hear each other unless they had two radios. The other problem was units on one 800 tower coudn't talk to units on a different 800 tower so everything had to be relayed through us.

If it was a "hot call" involving multiple jurisdictions on different radio systems (State Police VHF vs, Town PD 800), I would patch the 800 to the VHF at the console so they could talk to each other, especially when out on portable. One night I was told not to do that anymore because a certain town unit pitched a fit becasue he was trying to call me on one radio and it was feeding back on the other mobile while he was responding in. Apparently he felt it was better to have people not be able to talk to one another when they are standing a block away...instead of turning the volume down on his other rmobile radio and my management agreed !

Although all the 800 towers are now linked, they still haven't solved that VHF to 800 problem. Dutchess did and it sounds great.

On another note, when I dispatched for a certain town PD, I used to simulcast Fire and EMS over both the fire frequency and town EMS frequency. If I didn't, I'd have 5 EMS operators calling me on the radio while I'm trying to dispatch fire (one dispatcher doing Police, Fire and EMS), The first 5 or so times I did it the phone would ring and I'd get the "you put the ambulance tones over the fire channel" by some old timer from the firehouse. And I would respond, "Yes I did, and I put the fire tones over the ambulance channel too."

Last edited by a moderator:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I think what Dutchess did to regards to the 800 to VHF was NYCOMO just linked a VHF mobile and 800 mobile together and I think that link is sitting at their shop on Ceder st.

Status
Not open for further replies.