City of Sandusky, Erie County, New radio system coming..

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_d_

Premium Subscriber
FYI,

10/13/21 Requesting legislation authorizing the City Manager to purchase product and services from Vasu Communications Inc. of Avon, OH, through the State of Ohio, Department of Administrative Services, Cooperative Purchasing Program to install and configure an emergency radio simulcast solution.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION: Currently our emergency radio system is a plain old analog repeater and voter system. This older technology is extremely one dimensional and restrictive in both coverage and penetration and needs to be replaced as determined by the IT Manager, Police Chief, and Fire Chief. In essence, user one talks, the radio transmits this message to the voter and then the repeater re‐broadcasts the message to the recipient. Once all this is complete, the reverse happens with the reply. This technology, while having served us over the years does not provide the level of communications that our emergency services require.

This project will install a highly available simulcast system that covers the city for both the Police and Fire departments. This simulcast system will operate in analog once implemented but will be fully P25 digital compliant and ready to move to digital radio communication when the time is right. All our handheld radios are already P25 compliant, so this puts us 100% ready to make the digital move when required to. We will implement three simulcast sites across the city that will function in unison for both services. This will greatly improve our coverage around the edges of the city, known bad spots and in the older building that are problematic for communication and safety reasons. The nature of “intelligent” simulcast allows for more reliable and clear radio communications with all sites working in unison and allowing direct two‐way communication streams.

The timeline for this is unknown at this time.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I'll keep an ear out in the Summer when I head up there. It looks like they're already licensed for P25, NXDN, and analog on the PD and Fire freqs in 3 locations

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
From what a local police chief told me, the county would never join MARCS, but there were talks of a P25/NXDN trunking system that the county did themselves. Most departments have switched to NX5300's and 5800's so that would be a pretty easy option to add once the infrastructure is complete. Hopefully it happens soon.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
What time did you stop hearing them on their conventional frequencies? I was listening to them up until 5ish pm and they were still on it.

big_d_

Premium Subscriber
My apologies, I had the channel turned off, I guess I was expecting a vast improvement, but it's still the same weak, staticky(?) signal it's always been. I live out near the county line due south of Sandusky and I get Amherst and Port Clinton better than I do Sandusky. Heck, I even get North Ridgville as good as them at times. Huron PD, even Cedar Point are better signals. I guess I need an external antenna.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah their system always sounded terrible, doesn't matter what antenna you have. Even when I was a firefighter nearby there we couldn't hear them. Hopefully the new system improves it, but I'm not sure.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Oh yeah their system always sounded terrible, doesn't matter what antenna you have. Even when I was a firefighter nearby there we couldn't hear them. Hopefully the new system improves it, but I'm not sure.

Keep in mind that, by Federal law, the city is required to engineer their system so that it covers only the minimum range necessary to provide effective coverage of the city, plus a bit. Covering all of Erie County would be a stretch, especially since the Canadian border is not far away and they're required to avoid interference to Canadian users.

The FCC and frequency coordinators have been enforcing the rule more strictly the past several years when agencies upgrade their radio systems; be happy if it does improve, but don't expect too much improvement outside the City of Sandusky.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
Understood, just stating that because I can hear Margeretta and Groton Twp better than Sandusky Fire, but I can hear Sandusky PD pretty well. It's just odd is all.

wd8chl

Well, Margaretta/Groton is on a tall tower in Castalia (not the TV tower). It's quite high profile. Sand FD was only on a tower on the west end of the city at the garage. Now they have two more tx sites in town and on the east end. In town coverage for them should be much better now. But don't expect much improvement outside of town. As Tom said above, it's not meant to cover there.
If you want to see some of the end results of Canadian license skirmishes, look up licenses for places like Kelly's Isle, Catawba, Pt. Clinton, and such. You'll find some that the mobiles are hard limited to 5 watts. Period. No 25 watt radios at all, let alone more.
Another is the Perry plant sirens. 15 watts ERP max.

firemedic19

Premium Subscriber
Well, Margaretta/Groton is on a tall tower in Castalia (not the TV tower). It's quite high profile. Sand FD was only on a tower on the west end of the city at the garage. Now they have two more tx sites in town and on the east end. In town coverage for them should be much better now. But don't expect much improvement outside of town. As Tom said above, it's not meant to cover there.
If you want to see some of the end results of Canadian license skirmishes, look up licenses for places like Kelly's Isle, Catawba, Pt. Clinton, and such. You'll find some that the mobiles are hard limited to 5 watts. Period. No 25 watt radios at all, let alone more.
Another is the Perry plant sirens. 15 watts ERP max.
Understood. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.