City of Wellston (Jackson County)

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
The city of Wellston is moving forward with the installation of two UHF repeaters at their Cherington Ridge tower site. Wellston Fire Department will be operating on 453.5125 MHz and public works will operate on 460.15 MHz. This is part of a PSAP change where Wellston will once again do their own dispatching from the police department offices in the city building, leaving the previous agreement with the Jackson County 911 Center. At this time, the fire system will be analog for paging purposes. The public works system may be analog or MotoTrbo and will be operational at a later date. Callsign for both frequency pairs is WPZK-765. The Wellston Police Department operates on MARCS.

tazz

Nice to see the WPZK-765 call sign used again.
I remember using it when Wellston FD was self dispatched on 156.180 MHz
So will Wellston PD continue to use 453.675 MHz DMR for dispatching, or will they be on Ohio MARCS full time now ????

Last edited:

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Nice to see the WPZK-765 call sign used again.
I remember using it when Wellston FD was self dispatched on 156.180 MHz

I did the city's license work and cleaned out a bunch of garbage. Updated phone numbers, control points, removed old wide band emission designators, etc. and gave back the VHF pairs once used by the city. Maybe someone else nearby can use them. It burns me up be denied frequencies for a new system because other licensees hoard frequencies they haven't used in years. Won't have them removed from an FCC license. Don't even have equipment on the frequency. But no one else can use the vacant channel because its still active in the database.

So will Wellston PD continue to use 453.675 MHz DMR for dispatching, or will they be on Ohio MARCS full time now ????

No idea. I knew they have both. That's probably a Justin Drummond question.

Last edited:

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Wellston Fire will use 114.8 hZ as the CTCSS for the 453.5125 MHz repeater. That channel will be for initial dispatch. WFD will use the county's UHF DMR system for ongoing communication.

Wellston Police are using 453.675 MHz (County DMR) and MARCS.

The public works system will be on the air at a later date. New mobiles must be purchased and installed in city vehicles. The fire and police departments simply needed existing UHF radios and pagers reprogrammed.

tazz

Thanks for the update Rick. Looks like your going to be busy for the next couple of months getting everything reprogrammed and online.

Good to see the PD and FD will still be using the County UHF DMR system.