Citywide Disaster Services (Brooklyn)

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I was looking through a database outside of RR today and saw CWDS is possibly using UHF P25 channels.
Digitalfrequencysearch.com has it listed as P25.
Has anyone heard anything, have any further info?
I am still wondering if this service is active?
Callsign : WQMD725

1676490305701.png

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I was looking through a database outside of RR today and saw CWDS is possibly using UHF P25 channels.

View attachment 136465

Looks like they licensed everything, DMR, P25, and Analog just in case. No telling which (if any they are using).
They are licensed under 90.35A1 - Applicant is in the business of providing emergency alert services on a not for profit basis.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 15.07.04.png

The call sign you wrote does not match the license.

WQMD725 - AI 229 WEST 43RD STREET PROPERTY, LLC
Just a typo, correct license number in screenshot.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Fat fingers and a small phone!
Just curious as they have numerous licenses and I have never seen this one. It is listed under the p25 section of the search.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It is listed under the p25 section of the search.
It's listed as P25 on that other site based only on the fact that the license has 8K10F1E emissions. There is no intelligence on that other site, it's merely pulling raw license data and presenting it based on the emission designators.

As always, the only way to know for certain what is on the air is to monitor it.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
What does one expect to hear from this group, "Citywide Disaster Services" that they won't hear monitoring the FDNY and the NYPD?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
What does one expect to hear from this group, "Citywide Disaster Services" that they won't hear monitoring the FDNY and the NYPD?
That is my question. I know they have response vehicles that are much like ESU trucks. I have seen them around Church Ave in Brooklyn.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The address given, 5809 Foster Ave in Brooklyn, appears vacant....

There's also addresses for it in Great Neck, L.I, as well as "Floyd Bennett Field" in Brooklyn (maybe they use the NYPD Aviation Units to respond!).

In a Yelp posting, it shows in "Number of Employees" as one.

Send them a resumé and see what happens....;)

MStep

I can provide a little background on Citywide Disaster Services. Originally started as Brooklyn Disaster Services around 1973, the function of BDS was to provide drivers and manning for the Salvation Army Emergency Canteen Services to the scenes of 3 alarm and greater fires, first in Brooklyn, and then, in conjunction with other SA Canteens and the Red Cross Canteens, anywhere in New York City or surrounding areas. The Brooklyn Canteen operated out of Hanson Place in Brooklyn.

The group had about 50 members at it's prime (around 1975) and had it's meetings at a small storefront in Flatbush (but not the Foster Avenue location). It was around that time that BDS became Citywide Disaster Services, or CDS.

They participated in many events, notably the June 24,1975 Eastern Airlines Flight 66 air disaster on the what is now the JFK airport perimeters, and the CDS canteen was staged on Rockaway Blvd, about 3000 feet from the actual crash site. This was one of the plane crashes that led to the FAA investigation of wind-shear/microburst events. The canteen staged at that location for about 5 days, and required deep cleaning and decontamination following the event.

Of the 124 souls on board, 113 were killed. Survivors were mostly stewards and stewardesses who were seated in the rear of the plane, who literally walked out of the disaster site, confused and dazed.

In its heyday, you could hear plenty of traffic on UHF repeaters that were in use. During a "typical week", they would have 4 or 5 "runs". 90% of their work was with emergency services, while the other 10% saw them serving food at scouting events and the like. While the organization still lives on in name, and maintains several vehicles, many of the older members still keep in touch. They do not function as they did back in the 1970's.

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I would definitely be interested in an attempt to revive something like this. I would love to learn more about how it could make a comeback.
I think it would be beneficial to the city and the outer boroughs. I will look up more information soon and try to reach out before it disappears completely.

MStep

I would definitely be interested in an attempt to revive something like this. I would love to learn more about how it could make a comeback.
I think it would be beneficial to the city and the outer boroughs. I will look up more information soon and try to reach out before it disappears co
I believe that they canteen has to be replaced--- it may have been the last remaining for the Salvation Army. (See: Salvation Army vehicles burned overnight in Harlem).

The Red Cross also ran a canteen service, which I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), which was manned by members of the Fire Bell Club in New York City.

New York City also had an Auxiliary Fire Corps, (which may be inactive except for a few stragglers) but probably the best volunteer work you can do in New York City right now is with the NYPD's Auxiliary Police program. Like many other volunteer services, it has it's up and downsides.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I appreciate all the info.
I am looking for a good volunteer organization. I live in the Bronx and we have our share of fires and other problems that get overlooked as non emergency and i would definitely love to join someting active and worth while.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The Red Cross also ran a canteen service, which I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), which was manned by members of the Fire Bell Club in New York City.

"Third Alarm Association".

With the inception of the FDNY's "RAC Units" which handles the rehab issues at a fire, the buff canteen operations through the ARC and the Salvation Army ceased.

The SA uses the canteens, last I heard, to feed homeless living on the streets. But it still had the FDNY Maltese cross on it.

Interestingly, NJ still has active buff canteen units, in Bergen, Hudson, and Essex Counties, with "Box 54" in Bergen, "Gong Club" in Hudson, and "The Bell and Siren Club" in Essex, as well as the "Bayonne Fire Canteen" in Bayonne, NJ. But the availability of manpower, due to age in some, and work responsibilities to others, makes it somewhat difficult to cobble together a crew now and then to respond.

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
"Third Alarm Association".

With the inception of the FDNY's "RAC Units" which handles the rehab issues at a fire, the buff canteen operations through the ARC and the Salvation Army ceased.

The SA uses the canteens, last I heard, to feed homeless living on the streets. But it still had the FDNY Maltese cross on it.

Interestingly, NJ still has active buff canteen units, in Bergen, Hudson, and Essex Counties, with "Box 54" in Bergen, "Gong Club" in Hudson, and "The Bell and Siren Club" in Essex, as well as the "Bayonne Fire Canteen" in Bayonne, NJ. But the availability of manpower, due to age in some, and work responsibilities to others, makes it somewhat difficult to cobble together a crew now and then to respond.
I appreciate all the info everyone has given here.
Me personally, I am just looking for a cool volunteer group within the Bronx or the city.
I understand that these clubs/associations are not what they used to be.
But i would like to help breathe life back into a worth while organization.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I understand that these clubs/associations are not what they used to be.
But i would like to help breathe life back into a worth while organization.

I think you're about 40 or 50 years too late for that.

A little bit of FDNY history:

During WWII, every major city established a Fire Dept. "auxiliary," which was made up "concerned citizens" at that time, who were trained in hands-on firefighting in an urban environment. In NYC, many of those auxiliaries maintain close contact and friendship with the firemen and, after the war, continued to hang out at their companies and ride with them.

That eventually developed buff clubs like the "Third Alarm Association" who, initially, rode with the official FDNY canteen driven and operated by a fireman. That, in turn, resulted in the Red Cross canteen being operated by TAA members for many years (there were also the "255 Club" in Brooklyn, and the "88-Club" on Staten Island who also ran Red Cross canteens).

Paralleling that was the continued development of the Auxiliary Services of the FD, with young "firehouse buffs," usually young kids who hung out at their local FDNY firehouses, became accepted by the members of the house (a big hurdle in itself!), and, upon turning 18 years of age, became trained as auxiliary firemen and began riding with those companies, later on with their yellow helmets.

That continued for MANY years, and was a big part of FDNY buffs in the 1950s and 60s. However, the 1970s brought on some big changes.

When the "War Years" became commonplace, with massive and numerous fires on a nightly basis, these same firehouse buffs, now with drivers' licenses and second-hand cars, decided that getting a radio and riding from fire to fire was more interesting than waiting at your buff house for a run, and listening to the firemen talk about their personal troubles. But many remained "loyal" to their companies for years to come.

Then, in 1973, labor troubles ensued within the FDNY and the firemen's unions, the UFA and UFOA, including the lack of manpower. One of the (many) problems which came up was that there were volunteers (auxiliaries) riding with companies, doing a lot of work, but work that should have been done by paid firemen. At some point, the UFA made an official statement that the auxiliaries should no longer ride with the companies. Company officers complied with that, without any animosity towards the buffs. They could still hang around the house, but no more riding. During that time, the UFA actually called for a strike, with many...but not all...firemen walking out, leaving the city with minimal manpower for firefighting, companies out of service, and picket lines. Fortunately, that strike only lasted hours.

Two years later, in 1975, massive layoffs of FD (as well as NYPD and other city titles) took place, essentially putting the final nail in the coffin of "firehouse buffs"......

Everyone still went to fires, but on their own.

The point is, trying to establish a "public safety" volunteer group today in a place like NYC (especially the Bronx) would be met with a lot of skepticism by the city agencies (especially by the police) The old days' buffs were known and (in some cases) respected. Today, not so much so. The first questions would be, "Who are you?" and "Who authorized you?", with you being turned away...or worse.

Become an EMT and join a volly ambulance corp somewhere.

MStep

Ten13's history and explanation above is right on point. It was good while it lasted. A volly ambulance service would be a great way for you to volunteer, or as has been suggested, join one of the NYPD auxiliary police units. They are still very active.

Another nail in the coffin for FDNY auxiliaries riding with Engine companies began when the engine companies started being dispatched to EMS runs. The FD had enough problems decontaminating the paid firefighters; they would not want auxiliaries caught in that mix. Some Ladder companies and Battalion Chiefs used to let guys ride with them, but that has even become a liability that most officers and chiefs do not want to assume.

The FDNY also had auxiliary dispatchers assigned to some of the central offices in the 50's, 60's and early 70's, but their services were extremely limited to answering the "in service" phones and doing circuit testing. The auxiliaries were not allowed to dispatch on the radio, although there were exceptions to every rule.

Go to your local police precinct and ask about joining as an NYPD Auxiliary. I had considered it myself, but with the recent spike of gun violence in NYC, I'm had to rethink as to whether I would want to be on patrol in what is essentially a closely-resembling NYPD uniform, carrying only a baton and no gun.

God bless those who do volunteer.

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I appreciate everyone's input!
I will definitely take a look at some VAS in my area. I was attempting to get onto Central Park EMS but the emails and voicemails have gone unanswered so far.
It's a shame a lot of these older organizations have proverbially gone under. I am sure they were fun in their hey days.