Not open for further replies.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
Irving, TX – September 6, 2006 – EFJ, Inc. (NASDAQ: EFJI) announced
today that its EFJohnson subsidiary has received an order from the
Civil Air Patrol (CAP). The order, valued at $4.4 million, calls for
EFJohnson to provide CAP with its Project 25 compliant radios and
accessories.

Don't know if anyone monitors CAP in the Tulsa area. I assume these radios would be used primarily for ground search operations.

CommShrek

dward42586 said:
Don't know if anyone monitors CAP in the Tulsa area. I assume these radios would be used primarily for ground search operations.

Sometimes we are forced to listen to them. :( I guess that's what happens when you use a shared frequency.

red8

No,
They use 2 meter FM radios in the Ametuer radio band. I was in communications in CAP. We also used radios tuned 26.620 Mhz below
the Citizens Band. And H-F radios for the state wide net and region
net roll calls. The frequencies are not discrete, however I read somewhere back that effective Jan 1, 2006 . The Civil Air Patrol would no longer make their frequencies public. The frequencies that
the CAP uses are issued by the USAF. And I believe they said that it
was in the best interest of homeland security to no longer make the
frequencies public.

K5MAR

The Civil Air Patrol uses frequencies in the government allocations below and above the 2 meter Amateur band, not in the 2m ham band. The 2m ham band is from 144.000 to 148.000 MHz. The Civil Air Patrol use freqs in the 143 MHz range for repeater input and 148 MHz range for repeater output. Simplex operations have generally been in the 148-149 MHz range.

Check the RR Wiki, I believe there is a current usage list there. When the CAP makes the switch to the new narrowband radios, then we'll all have to get busy and figure out the new assignments!

Mark S.

califzeph

I'm sure that there will be some Senior Member (or maybe Cadet) who will blab the new freqs.
When I did CAP, we used sub-audible tones to keep from getting interference from other units. I had an Azden hand-held that was programmed with the repeater input/output, and had a sub-audible board installed at a ham shop.
I could also xmit/rcv on the local AF base security channel with this radio, but only did so when working air show security, at the direction of the Base Commander and/or Air Field Boss.

nd5y

CAP already switched to narrowband radios. They have not been allowed to use ham rigs for several years. They also bought a lot of EFJ digital radios about 3 or 4 years ago.

CAP members won't even need to leak the new frequencies. People will find them real quick when they start using them.

K5MAR

Guess it depends on the area, Tom. The stuff I've seen locally is still the older equipment, no modified ham rigs, though. And they've still been using the old freqs. Your guys down in Texas probably got the new toys first, the Okies will be last (as usual).

Mark S.

N

N_Jay

Maybe I'm old, or maybe our wing was poor, but all we had was 26.62 in CBs with flipped crystals.

KI4OIA

CAP already switched to narrowband radios. They have not been allowed to use ham rigs for several years. They also bought a lot of EFJ digital radios about 3 or 4 years ago.

CAP members won't even need to leak the new frequencies. People will find them real quick when they start using them.

Hes right CAP has switched to narrow band /digital radios. The members that actually use the radios actually cant tell the frequencies b/c they are programed w/ channels not Frequencies.

Sparky_one

Murrah Memorial Run

At the annual Murrah Memorial "Run to remember" the CAP is set up in a command post somewhere near the finish line. If I'm assigned to that area I'll have to see what they are carrying at the time this coming April. In my first year to help I noticed what I thought was the National Guard with a command post. But toward the end of the race one of them came over to me to ask my opinion of when the last runner may be crossing. I then noticed that instead of National Guard being on their camo suit it said, "Civil Air Patrol." I then thought it was a far change from the ugly blue uniform they used to wear. I have to admit that it was the reason I did not join back in college when a guy asked me if I wanted to join. I was fresh out of O.U. school of Aviation and I had just finished the instrument flight certification SEL and was about to go into the multi-engine rating. I thought the uniform was way to ugly. Glad to see they have modernized it.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I then noticed that instead of National Guard being on their camo suit it said, "Civil Air Patrol."

Okay, I'm sure CAP does plenty of things other than looking for downed aircraft - I've never been all that interested so never looked. But the aircraft hunting is what gets mentioned most often, so my first thought on reading this was "*camo* for SAR teams?!?" What, they want to be sure the downed pilot can't see them first?!? :p "No, we didn't find the pilot. HE found US. That's just not acceptable... Camouflage for everyone!" :D

n5bew1

Okay, I'm sure CAP does plenty of things other than looking for downed aircraft - I've never been all that interested so never looked. But the aircraft hunting is what gets mentioned most often, so my first thought on reading this was "*camo* for SAR teams?!?" What, they want to be sure the downed pilot can't see them first?!? :p "No, we didn't find the pilot. HE found US. That's just not acceptable... Camouflage for everyone!" :D

Hee Hee kind of silly next we will see all the cashiers in "The WalMarts" with camo.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber

Just for your information...Ground Teams wear the biright orange safety vests when they are on the ground. It makes it much easier for the aerial team to see them and direct them to the site.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
At the annual Murrah Memorial "Run to remember" the CAP is set up in a command post somewhere near the finish line. If I'm assigned to that area I'll have to see what they are carrying at the time this coming April. In my first year to help I noticed what I thought was the National Guard with a command post. But toward the end of the race one of them came over to me to ask my opinion of when the last runner may be crossing. I then noticed that instead of National Guard being on their camo suit it said, "Civil Air Patrol." I then thought it was a far change from the ugly blue uniform they used to wear. I have to admit that it was the reason I did not join back in college when a guy asked me if I wanted to join. I was fresh out of O.U. school of Aviation and I had just finished the instrument flight certification SEL and was about to go into the multi-engine rating. I thought the uniform was way to ugly. Glad to see they have modernized it.

The uniform is very similar to the Air Force 'blues" since, after all, CAP is the Air Force Auxiliary. Since you find it "ugly", I'll be sure not to ever see you in the military that protects your right to make comments like that. Depending on the activity, CAP wears either blues or BDU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.